Soooo...Let's talk about combos.

Rig talk.

Re: Soooo...Let's talk about combos.

Postby Mr. Mom » Mon May 25, 2015 1:24 pm

Passinwind wrote:Hope it works out for you, seems like a nice format.

Well, PW...Just was messing around with my upright into the single MB15. Did it sound good to me? Not so much. Which is kind of a big deal for me.

I'd REALLY like a rig that works for both upright and electric that is light, fairly loud, and not too 'spensive. [smilie=coz.gif]

I've got to think about this some more.
I don't know and I don't care,
'Cause I don't wear Tonto's underwear.
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut

Postby Rhian Batson » Tue May 26, 2015 11:49 am

Mr. Mom wrote:

Well, PW...Just was messing around with my upright into the single MB15. Did it sound good to me? Not so much. Which is kind of a big deal for me.

I'd REALLY like a rig that works for both upright and electric that is light, fairly loud, and not too 'spensive. [smilie=coz.gif]

Is there a pre that you can stick in front optimized for an URB piezo that will bring out tonally what you're missing? I have no idea as I don't play upright [smilie=confused-smiley-013.gif]
Rhian Batson
Bouncer

Links: Yanno, you live a very short time and then you spend a very long time dead so eat great food, love extra hard, hold on for the ride, and play some bass along the way.

Postby Mr. Mom » Tue May 26, 2015 1:34 pm

Rhian Batson wrote:
Mr. Mom wrote:

Is there a pre that you can stick in front optimized for an URB piezo that will bring out tonally what you're missing? I have no idea as I don't play upright [smilie=confused-smiley-013.gif]

Yes. I've got a fdeck HPF and a Fishman preamp. So really, that should be good enough.

I did just get some Acousta-Stuf Polyfill. That should help a lot.
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut

Postby 57RIP » Tue May 26, 2015 10:30 pm

It's a shame that FrankenSteinberger is no longer with us as you wouldn't have had time to test drive it... RiP Greg.
I used to look at my dog Smokey and think, "If you were a little smarter, you could tell me what you're thinking," and he'd look back at me like he was saying, "If you were a little smarter, I wouldn't have to." - Fred Jungclaus
57RIP

Postby Rhian Batson » Wed May 27, 2015 2:08 pm

Hah, Greg was a hoot! I miss him too - good guy [smilie=music-smiley-005.gif]

Did you use the Fdeck in front of the new rig? Waaaaait a minute. This is all too rational a conversation. You need another rig - it's SO obvious. This just isn't working for you. You dont want "good enough" You need sonic perfection, my friend. So what are you going to buy next?

[smilie=grinning-smiley-044.gif]
Rhian Batson
Bouncer

Links: Yanno, you live a very short time and then you spend a very long time dead so eat great food, love extra hard, hold on for the ride, and play some bass along the way.

Postby nolabass » Wed May 27, 2015 9:04 pm

Seriously? Not one dam pic? Shame on ya. [smilie=icon_rolleyes.gif]
~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

"Everything Is Oaks & Herbs, My Nerbs" Dr. John
nolabass
Global Bouncer

Postby Mr. Mom » Thu May 28, 2015 6:46 am

My bad, NOLA!

image.jpg
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut

Postby Rhian Batson » Thu May 28, 2015 12:40 pm

Mighty fine looking rig despite the extreme left-ward gravity.
Rhian Batson
Bouncer

Postby Mr. Mom » Thu May 28, 2015 4:31 pm

Rhian Batson wrote:You need another rig - it's SO obvious. This just isn't working for you. You dont want "good enough" You need sonic perfection, my friend. So what are you going to buy next?

[smilie=grinning-smiley-044.gif]

Hmmmmm....If I didn't know better I'd say you were being sarcastic?? [smilie=coz.gif] [smilie=grinning-smiley-044.gif]

BTW, I filled both cabs with that Acousti-Fil stuff. I lb/cab. Should have been about 1.5 lbs/cab but there was already some padding stapled to the sides in there. Just left that and added the stuffing. Made a pretty big diff, IMO. For the better.

I'm keeping these cabs. They suit my needs, sound too good and were too much of a good deal.
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut

Postby Rhian Batson » Fri May 29, 2015 1:18 pm

Haha, just a bit. One of my many, many personality flaws [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif]

Im curious about how the added fill changed the sound of the cab. What to your ears does it change or make better? Is it something URB players do or does it improve EB too?
Rhian Batson
Bouncer

Postby Mr. Mom » Sun May 31, 2015 7:45 am

Rhian Batson wrote:Haha, just a bit. One of my many, many personality flaws [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif]

Im curious about how the added fill changed the sound of the cab. What to your ears does it change or make better? Is it something URB players do or does it improve EB too?

To me ears, the tone is a "drier" and more focused. Let midrange brashness and the bottom is more pronounced and more defined.

No idea is URB players tend to do that. I'm a very mediocre upright player with limited experience so any opinions I have aren't worth sh*t. Basically the same tonal improvements I just described for electric apply to the tone of the upright through the stuffed MB15.

I gigged the stack again last night and was quite pleased. Small club without going through the PA. IMO it sounded quite good. Actually had to dial back the Bass about one notch as I was backed up against a wall and it was just a hair boomy.
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut

Postby jshilgebass » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:13 pm

See, I told you I wouldn't talk you out of the Carvin rig. [smilie=cheeky-smiley-025.gif]

Glad you found a combo amp setup that meets your electric and upright playing needs, and also something you might actually keep around for a while. Doesn't mean I won't keep an eye out in the For Sale section... [smilie=grinning-smiley-044.gif]

The Carvin factory is a half-hour drive north from my house...I should go up there and test drive a few of those combos.

Joe Hilgeman
jshilgebass

Postby hmagman » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:09 am

Carvin gear is worth the $$$, for sure. The factory is one freeway exit from my house.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Harry
hmagman

Postby Mr. Mom » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:57 am

Maybe I'm finally growing up, but every piece of gear I've had (and that's a LOT of pieces of gear!) have had their pluses and minuses. Epi, Bergantino, EA, Bag End, GK, GB, Demeter, etc etc. There's always some thing that is not right with about any of this stuff.

Is this bestest most greatestist sounding rig ever?? No. But it's small, light, loud and pretty inexpensive and sounds damn fine.

I will say that the EQ section on the head is really, really great. Or maybe it's the EQ section and how it interacts with the cabs. Very responsive and very versatile. And the speaker cabs are punchy and articulate as heck. Those are some big +'s in my book.
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut

Postby 57RIP » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:03 pm

Wait... It's still in Ohio ? That's odder than a 3x10 !

Honestly Bruce, I think you ought ta eat more Chili... Then this to, would be a ... Passing fad...

Growing up ? Ghastly idea...
I used to look at my dog Smokey and think, "If you were a little smarter, you could tell me what you're thinking," and he'd look back at me like he was saying, "If you were a little smarter, I wouldn't have to." - Fred Jungclaus
57RIP

PreviousNext

Return to AMPLIFICATION