Soooo...Let's talk about combos.

Rig talk.

Re: Soooo...Let's talk about combos.

Postby Mr. Mom » Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:32 am

Hmmm....More votes for GK. Noted.

Hopefully next week I'll be able to try some stuff out. We've got a GC and Sam Ash here in C-bus. Though, IMO, they tend to be pretty darn skimpy on bass gear. TONS'o guitar gear. Bass gear? Not so much.

Can anybody here talk me out of the Carvin MB15 with extension cab route?
I don't know and I don't care,
'Cause I don't wear Tonto's underwear.
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut

Postby Mr. Mom » Sat May 02, 2015 6:15 am

Mr. Mom wrote:Can anybody here talk me out of the Carvin MB15 with extension cab route?

I'll do it! I will!! And then you'll be sorry!

Sorry. Feeling a smidge passive aggressive this morning.
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut

Postby jshilgebass » Sat May 02, 2015 5:51 pm

Mr. Mom wrote:Can anybody here talk me out of the Carvin MB15 with extension cab route?

I have played a Carvin MB combo on a few occasions. It was at a church where one of my brothers was the music director (he passed away late last year from two cancers). I can't remember what size the combo was; maybe it's the MB12. At any rate, in a big church with a lot of hard surfaces it sounded pretty good when I dialed it in to compensate. And that's just from the amp itself; no DI out to the soundboard ever. It felt like it weighed slightly more than my GK combo amps, but it had more controls for EQ and had a mute switch. Of course, you pay extra for this compared to the GK gear.

Soooo...I would not talk you out of it if you decided to go Carvin. [smilie=grinning-smiley-044.gif]

Joe Hilgeman
jshilgebass

Postby Mr. Mom » Sun May 03, 2015 12:22 pm

Thanks for the input, Joe!

I'm so sorry to hear that about your brother. That just sucks. Big time. No way around it.
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut

Postby hoytbasses » Sun May 03, 2015 7:03 pm

I've been running the MB500 head, which just about fits in my pocket and the 112 neo cabint for 90% of my gigs......

I have a second 112 cab for really big rooms. It took a little time to get comfy with the EQ after gigging with a 400rb for a long long time.

I also have a MB150 for all my little wine bar gigs: works GREAT with the electric upright IMO and with an extension speaker, it cuts most of the spaces I play in , should I need a backup to the MB500.

so I second the MB150s for rehearsals, low volume gigs, upright, and with the ext cabinet... medium sized (say 150 seat) rooms

akrl
There's nothing Passive about Passive pickups!
hoytbasses

Postby Mr. Mom » Tue May 05, 2015 2:07 pm

Thanks, Karl!

Right now the GK MB150 w/extension and the Carvin MB15 with extension are leading the pack. Five minutes from now? It's anybody's guess. [smilie=fun_84.gif]
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut

Postby 57RIP » Tue May 05, 2015 9:22 pm

Th GK micro and dedicated cab is rough to beat IMO. Combos I general are a series of compromises between engineering that wants to build an SVT in a little box and marketing who argues for a price point. Marketing almost always wins... MB-500 and a small but decent cab. Done...
I used to look at my dog Smokey and think, "If you were a little smarter, you could tell me what you're thinking," and he'd look back at me like he was saying, "If you were a little smarter, I wouldn't have to." - Fred Jungclaus
57RIP

Postby Mr. Mom » Sun May 10, 2015 6:39 am

Thanks Mal! Appreciate the input, as always! You're hard to argue with! But I DO have my mind set on a combo. Which means (and you prolly have seen this story unfold many a time) I'll go the combo route and then realize that a micro head and separate cab is the way to go.

Live and learn. [smilie=fun_84.gif]
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut

Postby 57RIP » Mon May 11, 2015 8:20 am

Well I hear ya. The appeal of grab 'n go is significant. Problem is that unless you in AER or maybe Acoustic image land most combo's aren't keepers tonally... Hence the rig above. It's a combo, but based on a known good sounding (to me anyway) cab... So the salient point is break out the table saw...

I did gig the MB112 for a while. It was ok. Really ok. Honestly a swell amp. It was a Chevy aveo in a parking lot full of miata's ... She has a great personality... Really. It was not a POS, it was completely boring... You get the idea I'm sure...

I've done a few gig's with a backlined mb115 and that had a bit more mojo. Mostly the 15 and bigger cab has more beef. To big to be a real grab 'n go at least for me.

Nah... Find a great 1x12 if that's your flavor. Pull it apart and figure out how to clone it... Then add the length to the sides to act as the housing for your GK micro and the false top...

You might not need 12's by the way. You know the old adage, small, deep, loud ... Pick 2. In my case I picked small and deep. Not loud. Those 1x10's are stuffed with quite a lot of egg crate foam and the port shelf extends way back in the cab. That all drops the tuning way down for a small 1x10. I expect that all also limits their efficiency and the overall db's that the rig can produce. It is more than enough for me using both cabs though... The 2510-II's are pretty strong and the GK has watts to spare in my situation. And of course I have other rig's to call on for high stage volume gigs if necessary.

After dabbling with some of the preamps you've caught and released lately - that Demeter is ... Seductive... I can't see you gettin 'happy for long with a stock low end combo...
I used to look at my dog Smokey and think, "If you were a little smarter, you could tell me what you're thinking," and he'd look back at me like he was saying, "If you were a little smarter, I wouldn't have to." - Fred Jungclaus
57RIP

Postby Jerry » Mon May 11, 2015 10:59 pm

I prefer a separate head/cab combo too. Just in case either dies, you still have half a rig. I also prefer different manufactures for the head and cab, and my tastes change weekly. [smilie=fun_84.gif] I did do a small tour through Colorado through Wyoming a few years ago and bought one of those old single 15 SWR combos in Denver and sold it in Jackson Hole before getting on a plane, it killed! It was heavy, but sounded awesome.
Aloha, Jerry
Jerry
Bouncer/Juice Hound

Links: Main gear:Mike Lull TC5/Mike Lull PJ5/Mike Lull MV5 Maple, MV5 rosewood/ Valenti PJ5/Kala U5/ Turner RENAISSANCE 5/ Lakland 55-02 & 55-01/Fender Roscoe Beck basses. Bergantino B-amp/ Mesa800/ Tecamp Puma900, Neve DI, Carvin B2000, Genz Benz Shuttle 9.0 & Streamliner900, Bergantino CN212 CN112, CN210 & AE 4/10/ Epifani UL cabs

Postby GonzoBass » Tue May 12, 2015 2:19 am

I understand your point, Mal.
Very well.
...but for me, it's all about ease.

Showing up fifteen minutes before downbeat
and loading in/out with one trip.
That's the ideal MO to me.

Why not a head and cab rig?
Because it's more to carry
and it's one more cord,
which means a longer set up/tear down for me.

Ditto for effects.
Just more to lug and another cord to wrap.

Yeah, I know...
but when your doing six shows in five days,
that shit adds up.

I do have other amp options available.
So if the gig's "special" to me
(big $$$, if I want to impress a new band leader
or doing a theater gig where I leave a rig set up),
Ill take the extra time/effort involved to lug and set up a separate head/cab, plus maybe effects.

...but I've gotten a lot of people off quick and easy with my 112.
Maybe I am just a whore like that.
[smilie=cool-smiley-031.gif]
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Aloha-
Papa Gonzo
GonzoBass
Global Bouncer

Links: .
Tools:
Steinberger XP2 Workhorse (DB Bridge)
Steinberger XP2 (B-E-A-D)
Steinberger XP2A (Back Up)
Wilkat GonzoBass #001
Fender Deluxe 24 Fret Jazz
EBMM Stingray Natural/Maple
Xavier Custom 6 String
Ibanez AEB10K Acoustic
Dean Rhapsody 8 String
Carvin BK2A Fretless
Gibson EB3 (Project)
Epiphone Newport EBS
Synsonic Half Scale
Fender Mandolin
A couple Flea Ukuleles
and a few guitars...

Rigs:
Small-
GK MB112 combo
Medium-
GK MB500
GK 2x10 Neo
Large-
GK 1001 Mark II 2x10 combo
GK 1x15 RBS

Effects:
Line 6 Bass POD XT Live
BBE 462 Sonic Maximizer

Postby Mr. Mom » Tue May 12, 2015 5:35 am

Jerry wrote:...and my tastes change weekly. [smilie=fun_84.gif]

Testify!!

Gonz, I'm with you. I don't gig near as much but I must be getting old and lazy. OK. I AM getting old and lazy. OK.....Old-ER and lazy-ER. [smilie=fun_84.gif]

Though I have noooo doubt Mal's little rig kills. And the separate head/cab thing does make sense. But I've decided to look for an all-in-one kind of rig. Will there be compromises? Sure. But there's always compromises in any gear.

I've just been too damn busy to go to the local GC and SA and check out combos. The gigs have been coming in as of late (which is good!) which has required some shed time on my part. And the Spring "season" for a community orchestra I play in is in full swing. (No pun intended.)
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut

Postby 57RIP » Wed May 13, 2015 7:48 am

Yeah, it takes me 2 trips for both cabs, a fretted and fretless 44-01's in bags, pedal board (DI, tuner, switch box) and double stand. I'm good to go about 10 min later... Granted I only do 1 a week most weeks of the year with 3 to 4 in tourist season. (good thing tourist season isn't longer or I'd never get anything else done.)

I hear the convenience thing. Problem for me is that I also hear the rig and while some of the compromises seem small, eventually they bug the crap out of me. So the tone simply has to work or it's outta here... Hence one ton of gear churn over the last several years until... It stopped. In Ohio, it still churns...
57RIP

Postby Mr. Mom » Wed May 13, 2015 9:31 am

57RIP wrote: In Ohio, it still churns...

I'm standing right here. I can hear you, you know! [smilie=fun_84.gif]
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut

Postby Mr. Mom » Wed May 13, 2015 9:48 am

Carvin MB1515 stack ordered. $549 shipped was too tempting for this cheap bastard.

Stay tuned....
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut

PreviousNext

Return to AMPLIFICATION