Soooo...Let's talk about combos.

Rig talk.

Re: Soooo...Let's talk about combos.

Postby Rhian Batson » Mon May 18, 2015 3:14 pm

Cool sounding combo via youtube. You say stack - did you order the 115MB Extension Cabinet too? How about custom color vinyl. Please tell me you ordered python snake skin [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif]

Can't wait for the review.
Rhian Batson
Bouncer

Links: Yanno, you live a very short time and then you spend a very long time dead so eat great food, love extra hard, hold on for the ride, and play some bass along the way.

Postby Mr. Mom » Tue May 19, 2015 5:20 am

Rhian Batson wrote:Cool sounding combo via youtube. You say stack - did you order the 115MB Extension Cabinet too? How about custom color vinyl. Please tell me you ordered python snake skin [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif]

Can't wait for the review.

Yes, the stack. I won't use it often, but it'll be nice to have. (ASSuming I likey, of course.)

Sorry. No snake skin. Too Kardashian for me.

"Out For Delivery" as I type this.
I don't know and I don't care,
'Cause I don't wear Tonto's underwear.
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut

Postby Passinwind » Tue May 19, 2015 9:14 am

Mr. Mom wrote:"Out For Delivery" as I type this.

So did you flip it yet? Image
Passinwind

Postby Jerry » Tue May 19, 2015 10:38 am

"Out For Delivery" is three of my favorite words strung together. [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif]
Aloha, Jerry
Jerry
Bouncer/Juice Hound

Links: Main gear:Mike Lull TC5/Mike Lull PJ5/Mike Lull MV5 Maple, MV5 rosewood/ Valenti PJ5/Kala U5/ Turner RENAISSANCE 5/ Lakland 55-02 & 55-01/Fender Roscoe Beck basses. Bergantino B-amp/ Mesa800/ Tecamp Puma900, Neve DI, Carvin B2000, Genz Benz Shuttle 9.0 & Streamliner900, Bergantino CN212 CN112, CN210 & AE 4/10/ Epifani UL cabs

Postby Mr. Mom » Tue May 19, 2015 11:16 am

Passinwind wrote:
Mr. Mom wrote:"Out For Delivery" as I type this.

So did you flip it yet? Image

Why I oughtta....! [smilie=angry-smiley-005.gif] [smilie=grinning-smiley-044.gif]

And me too, Jerry!

God help me, but new gear is fun!
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut

Postby Mr. Mom » Wed May 20, 2015 12:17 pm

Quick review I did from across the street, copied/pasted:

So far so good! Got it and set it up. Played one of my electrics through it.

First impressions:
--Punchy! Man...Seriously!
--Articulate! Man....Seriously!
--Very responsive to EQ.
--Just like the reviews say, it's not the combo is you crave lots of low end. Mid focused. But NOT treble-y or thin, either.
--IMO, very handsome and well built cab. Except for the Carvin logo. If this is a keeper the logo's have to go! Sorry, Carvin.

I have not tried my L2000 or my Full Circle equipped upright through the MB15. I will get a chance later today. From the specs both should work just fine.

I did run a quick and imprecise (Unprecise? Inprecise??) freq test through the single MB15 with a pink noise generator from my iPad and my iPhone as the mic. Seems like a "peak" from roughly 500 - 2,000 hz. The peak is more of a "mesa", though, as it's a "flat peak" from 500 - 2,000 hz, if that makes sense. I split the diff and set the para mids at about 1.2 k and cut about 6 db. DEFINITELY made a diff. That's about all I did, EQ-wise. Shoot......Even set flat I really dig the tone! I think it should really work well as a stage monitor and as a low/medium level stage amp.

I've got an outdoor gig this weekend, so I'll use the whole stack and see how it works.

It sure is a cute little sucker! So far I'm a happy camper!
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut

Postby Jerry » Wed May 20, 2015 1:19 pm

Very cool! [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif]
Aloha, Jerry
Jerry
Bouncer/Juice Hound

Links: Main gear:Mike Lull TC5/Mike Lull PJ5/Mike Lull MV5 Maple, MV5 rosewood/ Valenti PJ5/Kala U5/ Turner RENAISSANCE 5/ Lakland 55-02 & 55-01/Fender Roscoe Beck basses. Bergantino B-amp/ Mesa800/ Tecamp Puma900, Neve DI, Carvin B2000, Genz Benz Shuttle 9.0 & Streamliner900, Bergantino CN212 CN112, CN210 & AE 4/10/ Epifani UL cabs

Postby ghiadub » Wed May 20, 2015 10:45 pm

Cool. So what covering did you go with? I have to say I really like that country western one. The covering seems to be no extra charge if you buy the stack.
"Play the music, not the instrument"

Ghiadub Trio | Makosa | Campfire Crooners | Videos
ghiadub
Bouncer

Postby Mr. Mom » Thu May 21, 2015 5:24 am

ghiadub wrote:Cool. So what covering did you go with? I have to say I really like that country western one. The covering seems to be no extra charge if you buy the stack.

I stuck with the classic: Black tolex. Looks nice!

Forget to mention that a third, small box from Carvin came with the shipment. It's was a nice quality 1/4 - 1/4" speaker cable! Sweet! Must have been a freebie that I didn't know about.
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut

Postby Passinwind » Thu May 21, 2015 8:44 am

Here's a scary graph I made up from testing a BX500 that I owned for a little while. The preamp section is very similar to the one in the MB15, and I measured these curves at the EFX send, not at the power amp output, which is a PITA to measure on Class D amps.

So much for "knobs at noon", now you can flip it with impunity. Image
Passinwind

Postby Mr. Mom » Thu May 21, 2015 12:22 pm

Cool, PW! Thanks! My very non-scientific measurement pretty much mirrored your Green All Flat Line. And that's with the pink noise coming out of the cab! So it stands to reason that the cab is pretty "flat"?

I like that kind of curve. Sort of the anti-GK curve. It will get your heard on stage, that's for sure!
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut

Postby Mr. Mom » Fri May 22, 2015 11:54 am

Been messing with your test results, PW. Having fun re-creating your Green line settings.

I'm telling ya, fellas....This little rig sounds damn good!
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut

Postby Passinwind » Fri May 22, 2015 12:03 pm

Mr. Mom wrote:Been messing with your test results, PW. Having fun re-creating your Green line settings.

On the BX500 there's also a post-EFX return graphic EQ that affords another way to get there (or maybe even flatter if desired), but again, that's a PITA to test with my computer RTA rig. In any case, not all that hard to get to flat with plenty of EQ options left available.
Passinwind

Postby Mr. Mom » Mon May 25, 2015 5:52 am

Well, bedroom tone being what it is and on-the-gig tone being what it is......The little stack did pretty good an outdoor gig yesterday. Was it perfect? No. Was it Epifani/Bergantino/EA/EV/GK/etc/etc/etc good? Hard to say without A/B-ing, but just for the sake of argument let's say "not really". But for under $600 shipped, and with lots of tone shaping available it's close enough.

I had the Drive set too high. Little to much "character" for me from the Drive knob being set too high. Wasn't getting a good fundamental until I boosted 200 hz about 3 db. Then it was like "Yes!". I felt like there was quite a bit of headroom still available, but that's just feeling. We weren't too loud but we weren't quite either.

I think......**AHEM**....THINK....I'm going to keep it. [smilie=cheeky-smiley-025.gif]
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut

Postby Passinwind » Mon May 25, 2015 11:38 am

Mr. Mom wrote:I think......**AHEM**....THINK....I'm going to keep it. [smilie=cheeky-smiley-025.gif]

I would have kept my BX500 for grab and go gigs, but the former owner didn't get on well with the Ashly channel strip I traded him for it, so we ended up swapping back. Hope it works out for you, seems like a nice format.
Passinwind

PreviousNext

Return to AMPLIFICATION