To SVT, or not to SVT?

Rig talk.

To SVT, or not to SVT?

Postby Eejif » Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:02 pm

So here is my quandary: I love my SVT. It's one of the last American-made CLs, and is just about the greatest sounding thing I've ever had the pleasure of heaving to a gig. But it just doesn't get out as much as it deserves. That's because I also love my Streamliner, and ever since I jumped on that bandwagon, the SVT spends most of its life in its case.

As far as I'm concerned, dollar for dollar and pound for pound, the Streamliner can't be beat. But whenever I plug in the SVT I just feel all warm inside. I don't know what it is. Setting them so they're behaving similarly, and through the same cab, the SVT just has a thing that the Streamliner can't really recreate. I don't know how to explain it, but it just feels wider, and the note attacks are just a bit sweeter. Maybe it's all in my head! Maybe I'm just too attached to an inanimate object. Dunno.

I want to sell the SVT, and I've made up my mind several times to do just that, but whenever I play it my resolve all melts away. I have no legitimate reason at this point to keep it, as it's not enjoying life in a box, and not very well suited to be a backup amp, but I can't do it! I'm not in desperate need of cash, but it's also taking up a substantial amount of room, and really for no good reason.

How do I talk myself out of owning this thing?

Any and all opinions and attacks on personal character are welcome. [smilie=icon_biggrin.gif]

Oh, and the fridge, too.
Eejif

To SVT, or not to SVT?

Postby harleyyy » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:01 pm

Having gigged a squareback and a V-9 head. I know exactly how you feel. I sold that rig and never looked back after I acquired my Streamliner 900's and Bergantino cabs. an AE212 and an AE410. It's the perfect plan with zero regret. [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif]
"I try to keep 'Thou shalt not kill.' The rest of them I'm kind of shaky on." Willie Nelson
"Forget The Drama, Shut Up And Play." ME

Mr Meanor on Facebook
harleyyy
Host Of Your Forum

Links: http://badassbassplayers.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/BadAssBassPlayerscom
https://www.facebook.com/MrMeanorBand
http://wwwwww.tonewavetech.com

Re: To SVT, or not to SVT?

Postby nolabass » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:16 pm

Sell the SVT and get a V4 to keep around for tube reminiscing. That being said, my V4 in getting serviced to go on the auction block as we speak. Occasionally I get an SVT as backline and that keeps me smiling. If it isn't getting gigged at my house, it needs to go. Also as you get older you will use, haul and set it up less so it becomes a reminder of your by-gone days. At least for me. I don't regret selling mine.
~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

"Everything Is Oaks & Herbs, My Nerbs" Dr. John
nolabass
Global Bouncer

Postby Mr. Mom » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:30 am

I'm going to be the dissenting opinion and say keep it until your 100% you want to sell it. If you don't need the cash and still enjoy it, why not?
I don't know and I don't care,
'Cause I don't wear Tonto's underwear.
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut

Postby Jerry » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:45 pm

If you don't mind moving it and don't need the cash, keep it. I get SVTs once in awhile in our backline and always happy to play with them, but for gigging locally and moving my own gear, no way I'm too old. [smilie=cheeky-smiley-025.gif] I recently move from a six pound Streamliner to three pound Puma900 because the Puma was only three pounds, that's how much of a wuss I am now.
Aloha, Jerry
Jerry
Bouncer/Juice Hound

Links: Main gear:Mike Lull TC5/Mike Lull PJ5/Mike Lull MV5 Maple, MV5 rosewood/ Valenti PJ5/Kala U5/ Turner RENAISSANCE 5/ Lakland 55-02 & 55-01/Fender Roscoe Beck basses. Bergantino B-amp/ Mesa800/ Tecamp Puma900, Neve DI, Carvin B2000, Genz Benz Shuttle 9.0 & Streamliner900, Bergantino CN212 CN112, CN210 & AE 4/10/ Epifani UL cabs

Postby FatherGino » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:01 pm

Eejif wrote: whenever I plug in the SVT I just feel all warm inside.

Whenever I pick up by 25 lb. cabs and 5 lb. amp I feel all warm inside.

But I agree that if you still use it at all and don't need the $$ then keep it. You probably will never get another one if you sell it. When it's sat completely idle for 2 years, get rid of it.
There are two kinds of music, the good kind and the other kind. I like both.
FatherGino

Links: www.drivetime.us

Postby Eejif » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:33 am

2 in favor, 3 against selling. Looks like I'm back where I started. [smilie=grinning-smiley-044.gif]

Eejif

Postby Mr. Mom » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:57 am

Jerry wrote:I recently move from a six pound Streamliner to three pound Puma900 because the Puma was only three pounds, that's how much of a wuss I am now.

Don't feel bad. I get all grumpy and pissy when I have to carry anything heavier than my set of IEM's. [smilie=smilie_kopf.gif]
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut

Postby aussiemark » Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:24 am

Don't they sell fold up trolleys over there?

sent from my T-34/76 via Tapatalk
aussiemark

Postby Mr. Mom » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:45 am

aussiemark wrote:Don't they sell fold up trolleys over there?

sent from my T-34/76 via Tapatalk

Shaddap. [smilie=angry-smiley-005.gif] ( [smilie=cheeky-smiley-025.gif] )
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut

Postby Rob Francis » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:50 pm

Walmart $29.95
Rob Francis

Postby aussiemark » Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:15 pm

Yep, I use something like this for tube heads and speaker cabs that don't have inbuilt castors. In fact, I have 2 - one lives in the back of my gig wagon, the other lives in the room where my amps and cabs live.

aussiemark

Postby Jerry » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:32 pm

I have a cart and also wheels on every cab including the 28 pound Bergie CN112, did I mention I'm lazy. [smilie=cheeky-smiley-025.gif]
Aloha, Jerry
Jerry
Bouncer/Juice Hound

Links: Main gear:Mike Lull TC5/Mike Lull PJ5/Mike Lull MV5 Maple, MV5 rosewood/ Valenti PJ5/Kala U5/ Turner RENAISSANCE 5/ Lakland 55-02 & 55-01/Fender Roscoe Beck basses. Bergantino B-amp/ Mesa800/ Tecamp Puma900, Neve DI, Carvin B2000, Genz Benz Shuttle 9.0 & Streamliner900, Bergantino CN212 CN112, CN210 & AE 4/10/ Epifani UL cabs

Postby hmagman » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:58 am

Jerry wrote:I have a cart and also wheels on every cab including the 28 pound Bergie CN112, did I mention I'm lazy. [smilie=cheeky-smiley-025.gif]

LOL! Yes, that lazy...
Harry
hmagman

Postby nolabass » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:16 pm

I think I might rather have a nice B15 in my living room than an SVT in my trunk. It would certainly get used more. Even with good carts I'm not gonna haul an SVT to my typical bar gig. Especially in the French Quarter where load ins can be blocks. After all we're talking a sound environment that won't typically showcase good gear. Good enough and easy to work with is my motto. I do love owning nice stuff but these days if it isn't getting used and appreciated it deserves to be set free. :hid:
~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

"Everything Is Oaks & Herbs, My Nerbs" Dr. John
nolabass
Global Bouncer

Next

Return to AMPLIFICATION