New Mesa Boogie?

Rig talk.

New Mesa Boogie?

Postby hmagman » Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:09 pm

Any insight/rumors on the new Mesa Boogie Subway series amp? [smilie=grinning-smiley-044.gif]
Harry
hmagman

Re: New Mesa Boogie?

Postby hmagman » Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:45 pm

Tried a new Mesa Boogie Subway today... Yes, it's all as advertised. [smilie=music-smiley-005.gif]
Harry
hmagman

Postby Eejif » Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:59 pm

So how would you say the D-800 compares to the Streamliner?
Seems like a pretty similar thing going on there, at least on the surface.
Eejif

Postby hmagman » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:53 am

IMHO the Boogie is similar to the STM 900. I would say the Boogie has a more "open" overall sound and may be more versatile. Cleaner in the low end and a bit more aggressive (as required). I was informed that the engineer who designed the Genz Benz bass amps is now employed by Mesa Boogie and had input in this new design. I'm of the opinion that this Subway Series is going to be the "go to" amp really soon. The Subway bass speakers are also very cool... Both are worth a checkout! [smilie=music-smiley-005.gif]

They sold REALLY fast at Bass San Diego! [smilie=smilie_kopf.gif] Good news for me for I was about to pull out my credit card. LOL!
Harry
hmagman

Postby Passinwind » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:52 am

I've been using the same new model ICE power amp module that's in the Subway in one of my DIY builds for several months now. It was actually designed with bass instrument amplification explicitly in mind, which probably has a lot to do with the surprisingly low cost of the Mesa. It's pretty sweet, and I'm sure we'll be seeing quite a few more implementations soon. The new Bergantino amp is using it, for one. FWIW, I think Andy had quite a lot of input into the Subway design, and I know he's been working with the new module since it was in the R&D phase, well before he was at Mesa. Really looking forward to hearing this amp, for sure.
Passinwind

Postby Mr. Mom » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:00 am

Damn, guys....You're killin' me!! [smilie=smilie_kopf.gif]
I don't know and I don't care,
'Cause I don't wear Tonto's underwear.
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut

Postby Passinwind » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:56 am

Mr. Mom wrote:Damn, guys....You're killin' me!! [smilie=smilie_kopf.gif]

Flip it, whatever it is. It's been a week or two, right? Time to move along. [smilie=cool-smiley-027.gif]
Passinwind

Postby Gohloum » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:34 am

Just came across this thread. I happened to be at a local music store about an hour ago picking up my 1996 Ampeg SVP from repair. On my way out the door, I walked right by the Subway sitting on top of a Hartke 8x10. So I took a few minutes to grab a few basses and try it out. They didn't have the cabinets and honestly, I've never been a big fan of Hartke, and the only bass I could find that would give me something similar to what I am used to was an Ibanez Premium SR with Nordstrand big singles.

The amp does EXACTLY what you see in the Mesa videos. I currently own a 1999 WT-800 and honestly, I think this head competes very close with it. I can't really speak for the Class D power section, I just don't have enough real world experience with them, but as far as the preamp goes, it's extremely versatile. You can dial in various ampeg-ish sounds or something more like old Acoustic heads. What I would really like to do is hear it with the 1x12 Subway cabs. I heard a slight color to the sound, but I am going to attribute that to the cabinet until I can test the thing with the Mesa cabs and my pre-gibson Tobias Classic 6.

Loads of VOLUME! and extremely quiet. Also it's very responsive to your touch/input on the bass. This is something you generally miss with a lot of newer amps, especially the ones that are modelers. You hear what you are feeling on the instrument. It's like driving a sports car with no power assist, a throttle that is direct cable to the carb/injector and tight suspension VS a luxury car with power steering, drive by wire throttle on a computer chip and cushy shocks. The sports car puts you in tune and lets you 'feel' the road and how the car is handling your input and road response.... The Mesa is similar in sonic terms - you are hearing what you 'feel' with your hands. When these two things happen together like this it's a wonderful experience as a player... However the down side is if you are not a good player or have a sloppy touch/fingering, you are definitely going to notice it more.

I'm gonna check it out again once they get in a shipment of cabs. I'm already reviewing my finances to see if I can fit one in my budget by Christmas in the event I am totally floored with the cabs and playing my bass through it.

Hope this helps.

Oh yeah, and it's STUPID light weight. It is actually feels lighter because of it's size, your eyes deceive your hands when you lift it.
Gohloum

Postby hmagman » Fri May 27, 2016 8:24 am

Just picked up a Boogie Mesa D-800 head yesterday from Bass San Diego... [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif]
Harry
hmagman

Postby Jerry » Mon May 30, 2016 9:34 pm

hmagman wrote:Just picked up a Boogie Mesa D-800 head yesterday from Bass San Diego... [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif]

I have one incoming from the same stock as Harry's. [smilie=icon_biggrin.gif]
Aloha, Jerry
Jerry
Bouncer/Juice Hound

Links: Main gear:Mike Lull TC5/Mike Lull PJ5/Mike Lull MV5 Maple, MV5 rosewood/ Valenti PJ5/Kala U5/ Turner RENAISSANCE 5/ Lakland 55-02 & 55-01/Fender Roscoe Beck basses. Bergantino B-amp/ Mesa800/ Tecamp Puma900, Neve DI, Carvin B2000, Genz Benz Shuttle 9.0 & Streamliner900, Bergantino CN212 CN112, CN210 & AE 4/10/ Epifani UL cabs

Postby hmagman » Tue May 31, 2016 7:22 am

I'm a HAPPY camper... this amp is everything I wanted as advertised! [smilie=music-smiley-005.gif]
Harry
hmagman

Postby hmagman » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:47 am

Jerry wrote:
hmagman wrote:Just picked up a Boogie Mesa D-800 head yesterday from Bass San Diego... [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif]

I have one incoming from the same stock as Harry's. [smilie=icon_biggrin.gif]

Jerry, I pretty sure you'll be really happy with this new Boogie. Congrats! [smilie=food-smiley-004.gif]
Harry
hmagman

Postby hmagman » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:48 am

Forgot to mention... I also got a Mesa Boogie Subway 1-15 cab, VERY happy with this rig and my back also thanks me. [smilie=music-smiley-005.gif]
Harry
hmagman

Postby Passinwind » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:59 am

hmagman wrote:I'm a HAPPY camper... this amp is everything I wanted as advertised! [smilie=music-smiley-005.gif]

Finally heard one of those at the Seattle TB GTG a couple of weeks ago. Both the Subway and the Genz Magellan sounded killer. Nice to see those guys continuing to build their legacies.
Passinwind

Postby Jerry » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:33 am

Passinwind wrote:
hmagman wrote:I'm a HAPPY camper... this amp is everything I wanted as advertised! [smilie=music-smiley-005.gif]

Finally heard one of those at the Seattle TB GTG a couple of weeks ago. Both the Subway and the Genz Magellan sounded killer. Nice to see those guys continuing to build their legacies.

I was on the fence between those two because of my love of the Streamliners, kinda a flip of the coin and went with Mesa. [smilie=icon_biggrin.gif]
Aloha, Jerry
Jerry
Bouncer/Juice Hound

Links: Main gear:Mike Lull TC5/Mike Lull PJ5/Mike Lull MV5 Maple, MV5 rosewood/ Valenti PJ5/Kala U5/ Turner RENAISSANCE 5/ Lakland 55-02 & 55-01/Fender Roscoe Beck basses. Bergantino B-amp/ Mesa800/ Tecamp Puma900, Neve DI, Carvin B2000, Genz Benz Shuttle 9.0 & Streamliner900, Bergantino CN212 CN112, CN210 & AE 4/10/ Epifani UL cabs

Next

Return to AMPLIFICATION