Looking for something smaller...what's new?

Rig talk.

Looking for something smaller...what's new?

Postby Billhw13 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:37 am

Looking for some ideas from you guys....as they always seem to be right on.

I've gone thru many amps over the years...loved some, felt indifferent towards others...but you know how it is - all those beautiful little nuances that I tweaked over in
my home studio all kind of get washed away in the live mix. So with that in mind, I'd really like to find a simple, lightweight clean sound rig that is easier to move
around. I don't need tubes (been there done that with a Mesa 400+, Buster etc) and since I'm working mainly in the roots, blues and rock genres, I just think I would like
to have a rig that is clean, reliable and goes boom.
Right now, I use a Carvin BRX 2x10 (which I really like) and a Bill Fitz (sp?) 12" cab. I power them with either a Demeter pre / QSC Power amp rack or a Carvin BX500. I'm really fine with how this all sounds...just wish it was easier to move.

Are there any better options out there? What are you guys using?
Billhw13

Re: Looking for something smaller...what's new?

Postby jim.i » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:00 am

I just picked up a Mesa Subway D-800 and Subway 112 cab. First gig still a couple weeks away, but at home and rehearsal they sound great - clear, clean and certainly can go boom. The amp is very simple and straightforward and controls make perfect sense to my simple-minded brain. So far i just set everything at noon and use the "Voicing" knob to make room and/or instrument adjustments. Another plus is US made and supported. After i've gigged them a few times and assuming (which i am) i'm still happy i'll get the Subway 115 cab. The 112 and 115 are matched and Mesa recommends them as a pair, which is very cool and seems to me to provide total versatility - one or the other, or both, depending on requirements.
jim.i

Postby 57RIP » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:00 pm

I've been gigging a GK MB-Fusion and Fearful 12.6 for quite a while. I've backlined it, sometimes with the matching sub. It's a compact and killer rig.
I used to look at my dog Smokey and think, "If you were a little smarter, you could tell me what you're thinking," and he'd look back at me like he was saying, "If you were a little smarter, I wouldn't have to." - Fred Jungclaus
57RIP

Postby ghiadub » Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:45 am

Its hard to beat the GK MB combos for ease of use, the MB210 is pretty loud too. Weighs like 30 lbs.

I am sure Jim's rig kills, I still use my walkabout quite a bit. Cant go wrong with Mesa.

I have been gigging with an AER bass three quite a bit. Its tiny and will flat out scare a sound guy with the amount of low end. Super spendy though.
I have the Demeter/Bergantino setup for bigger gigs.
"Play the music, not the instrument"

Ghiadub Trio | Makosa | Campfire Crooners | Videos
ghiadub
Bouncer

Postby Jerry » Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:20 pm

I've been using a Tech Puma800 and still go back to the Genz-Benz Streamliner quite a bit. I see the Streamliners going for 400 bucks a lot and they are incredible amps. I have been eyeing either the Mesa Subway and the new Genzler for future thought though. There really so many great choices these days, it's a beautiful thing!
Aloha, Jerry
Jerry
Bouncer/Juice Hound

Links: Main gear:Mike Lull TC5/Mike Lull PJ5/Mike Lull MV5 Maple, MV5 rosewood/ Valenti PJ5/Kala U5/ Turner RENAISSANCE 5/ Lakland 55-02 & 55-01/Fender Roscoe Beck basses. Bergantino B-amp/ Mesa800/ Tecamp Puma900, Neve DI, Carvin B2000, Genz Benz Shuttle 9.0 & Streamliner900, Bergantino CN212 CN112, CN210 & AE 4/10/ Epifani UL cabs

Postby Billhw13 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:06 am

Thanks for all the recommendations.
I looked at the website for Mesa...it still blows me away that this class D stuff can pump 800W from that tiny box! I love it! I remember when I used to have TWO Peavey CS-800's in a homemade plywood rack with the preamp-of-the-month...it must have weighed over 100 lbs. LOL! And now, we have stuff like the Mesa D800. It's awesome. Anyway, that looks really nice - will have to find one to test out. The whole GK combo and powered cabinets look interesting too. So light!

No-one has mention Markbass stuff. I know I've used one in a backline somewhere, but don't remember much else. What are your impressions?
Billhw13

Postby Jerry » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:51 am

I still have some Markbass stuff around here somewhere, no problems but sound wise these other companies just are better these days. IMHO
Aloha, Jerry
Jerry
Bouncer/Juice Hound

Links: Main gear:Mike Lull TC5/Mike Lull PJ5/Mike Lull MV5 Maple, MV5 rosewood/ Valenti PJ5/Kala U5/ Turner RENAISSANCE 5/ Lakland 55-02 & 55-01/Fender Roscoe Beck basses. Bergantino B-amp/ Mesa800/ Tecamp Puma900, Neve DI, Carvin B2000, Genz Benz Shuttle 9.0 & Streamliner900, Bergantino CN212 CN112, CN210 & AE 4/10/ Epifani UL cabs

Postby aussiemark » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:58 pm

I'm a Markbass fan - I really liked the Little Mark II, wasn't so enamoured by the Little Mark 800 (the 800 digital power module is not as warm sounding as the analogue 500 watt models), but I LOVE the TTE-500 .... it's the most tube-like of any hybrid amp I've played, and the tone is perfect for my old school tribute shows and classic rock/blues bands. I also own a Streamliner which is a fabulous little amp, and as stellar as it sounds, the TTE-500 pips it in the tone department, to my ears. Last week I bought a Fender Bassman 500 hybrid and my first impressions are that it's a pretty amazing head - tube preamp, two switchable channels (one with the classic Fender tonestack, the other overdrive with sweepable mids) - it looks like a full blown Bassman head, but only weighs 17lbs. The main reason I bought the Fender is that the TTE-500 looks rather ugly and doesn't suit the visuals we desire in the tribute bands - the Fender on the other hand looks a million bucks.
aussiemark

Postby hmagman » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:03 am

I am currently a BIG fan of the new Mesa Boogie Subway amp. Also, a used Genz Benz Streamliner 900 is a winner and most likely can be had at a good price these days. [smilie=music-smiley-005.gif]
Harry
hmagman

Postby FatherGino » Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:43 pm

For playing live there's so much stuff that sounds just fine. I have a Streamliner 900 which sounds great. I also have a Aguilar 350 head that's not quite as warm sounding but really sounds just fine. Seems to have plenty of power for driving two Aguilar SL 12s. The whole mess weighs 55 lbs. and sounds great to my ears.

BTW, I bought the cabs from Texas Guitar Ranch which threw in the padded covers for free. I would never have sprung for buying these covers but they're very nice.
There are two kinds of music, the good kind and the other kind. I like both.
FatherGino

Links: www.drivetime.us

Postby harleyyy » Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:17 pm

Streamliner 900 and Berg cabs for me. I also have a brand new backup STM-900, I think they'll be collector items long after we're gone. [smilie=coz.gif]
"I try to keep 'Thou shalt not kill.' The rest of them I'm kind of shaky on." Willie Nelson
"Forget The Drama, Shut Up And Play." ME

Mr Meanor on Facebook
harleyyy
Host Of Your Forum

Links: http://badassbassplayers.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/BadAssBassPlayerscom
https://www.facebook.com/MrMeanorBand
http://wwwwww.tonewavetech.com

Postby Billhw13 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:26 am

I've ordered two Revsound cabinets last week...the RS28's (2x8 configuration). I'll let you know how they work out!
Billhw13

Postby Mr. Mom » Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:21 am

Those look cool! And light!!

Keep us updated, please.
I don't know and I don't care,
'Cause I don't wear Tonto's underwear.
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut

Return to AMPLIFICATION