Radial Bassbone V2, OD or stick with my old V1

Rig talk.

Radial Bassbone V2, OD or stick with my old V1

Postby 57RIP » Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:23 am

Any current users please chime in...

I'm thinking about upgrading my old V1 Bassbone to the V2. A couple of the advantages for me are
  • The ability to use the 18v power outlets from my dc Brick power supply
  • The HPF when using a acoustic bass guitars - I do frequently live and HPF at the board but ...
  • Individual send and return rather than insert cable, I keep a Zoom B3 in the loop...
  • The selectable freq on the Mid - I think this only exists on the OD.

So it sorta boils down to the drag control -with active basses and the OD and the selectable mid. I don't use much OD. Is the OD in the Radial worth worrying about ?
I used to look at my dog Smokey and think, "If you were a little smarter, you could tell me what you're thinking," and he'd look back at me like he was saying, "If you were a little smarter, I wouldn't have to." - Fred Jungclaus
57RIP

Re: Radial Bassbone V2, OD or stick with my old V1

Postby Mr. Mom » Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:40 pm

I don't know anything about the BB V2. I did have the BBOD briefly. It was aw-right/meh.

-'s:
--I wasn't crazy about the OD. The tone was so-so and there was no way to match the volume when the OD was engaged to the clean volume (OD not engaged). IOW, whenever the OD is engaged there is an increase in volume.
--The HPF had too shallow of a slope. Honestly, the lesser of the two choices (80 hz) didn't do diddly.
--If you're just using Input A you have to insert a dummy 1/4" jack into the other input to get the benefit of the PZB switch. I have no idea why, but that's the way it is. Input A will work on it's own, but not with a piezo pickup. I mean, it'll WORK with a piezo, It'll just sound like crap. If you're doubling all the time than there's no issue. But it's kind of a stupid feature (design flaw?). That make sense?

+'s:
--I do like the two similar EQ sections and how they are voiced. Very nice. Very "musical", for lack of a better word.
--I thought the variable input resistance (on Input B?) was real nice. It did make quite a bit of difference on my electrics, IMO.
--Great sounding DI.

Sounds like you'd be paying for an OD you're not going to use and IMO you can get a better, variable HPF (like the fDeck III) than the BBOD's HPF. And if you DO want OD, there's soooooo many better choices out there. Tone Hammer, Agro, Azure Drive....Just to name a few.

My two cents. Which is prolly over valued.
Last edited by Mr. Mom on Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't know and I don't care,
'Cause I don't wear Tonto's underwear.
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut

Postby Mr. Mom » Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:49 pm

You looking for two channels? I've been GASsin for a Grace Felix. But at $995, there's no way.

Soooooo....I'm saving and selling off a few tidbits so I can get the Grace Alix when it comes out. Or soon after. Basically one channel of the Felix. Should be shipping by May. All the cool kids on the playground have been saying it'll go for $600-ish. And Lord knows I want to be one of the cool kids.
I don't know and I don't care,
'Cause I don't wear Tonto's underwear.
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut

Postby 57RIP » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:09 pm

Felix... Ain't no way unless I hit the lottery and seeing as I don't play... An yeah, I use the 2 channels all the time. Thanks for the info on the OD. For the time being I'll probably have the bb v2 on my list and skip the OD...
I used to look at my dog Smokey and think, "If you were a little smarter, you could tell me what you're thinking," and he'd look back at me like he was saying, "If you were a little smarter, I wouldn't have to." - Fred Jungclaus
57RIP

Return to AMPLIFICATION