SHOW YOUR RIG

Rig talk.

Re: SHOW YOUR RIG

Postby aussiemark » Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:03 pm

For me, it's horses for courses, and variety being the spice of life. Here's my rigs from the past month of gigs ....

Streamliner (behind Shampeg) into Fender Neo 610

Image
Image


Markbass TTE-500 into Markbass CL104

Image


Traynor YBA-200 into Markbass CL104

Image


Trayor YBA-200 into Ampeg SVT212AV

Image



O'Neill B15-100 into Fliptops B15E

Image
User avatar
aussiemark
 
Location: Sydney

Re: SHOW YOUR RIG

Postby GonzoBass » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:02 am

Lovin' the "Shampeg".
[smilie=cool-smiley-031.gif]
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Image

Aloha-
Papa Gonzo
User avatar
GonzoBass
Global Bouncer
 
Location: Hilo, Hawaii
Links: .
Tools:
Steinberger XP2 Workhorse (DB Bridge)
Steinberger XP2 (B-E-A-D)
Steinberger XP2A (Back Up)
Wilkat GonzoBass #001
Fender Deluxe 24 Fret Jazz
EBMM Stingray Natural/Maple
Xavier Custom 6 String
Ibanez AEB10K Acoustic
Dean Rhapsody 8 String
Carvin BK2A Fretless
Gibson EB3 (Project)
Epiphone Newport EBS
Synsonic Half Scale
Fender Mandolin
A couple Flea Ukuleles
and a few guitars...

Rigs:
Small-
GK MB112 combo
Medium-
GK MB500
GK 2x10 Neo
Large-
GK 1001 Mark II 2x10 combo
GK 1x15 RBS

Effects:
Line 6 Bass POD XT Live
BBE 462 Sonic Maximizer

Re: SHOW YOUR RIG

Postby bigfatbass » Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:04 pm

Shampeg! That's awesome. Like Eddie's famous Moreshalls where more of them were empty than full.

I've had some touring act fill in stuff where one of those might have come in handy! [smilie=music-smiley-005.gif]
"Time Is the river, eternity is the ocean, music is the water.
Play what you hear, hear what you play.
Trust your ears, serve your soul." ~Philip Toshio Sudo "Zen Guitar"



Viva Los Blancos!
http://www.casablancos.com
User avatar
bigfatbass
Road Dog
 
Location: Upstate NY
Links: http://www.casablancos.com

Re: SHOW YOUR RIG

Postby aussiemark » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:22 am

Nice overcast day today, so perfect for outdoor photos.

From L to R: Ampeg SB-12 Portaflex; O'Neill Amps B15-100 and Fliptops B15E cab; Genz Benz Streamliner 900 and Ampeg SVT212AV; Markbass TTE500 and Markbass CL104; Markbass Classic 300 and Fender Neo 610; Absent (sick): Traynor YBA-200

Image
User avatar
aussiemark
 
Location: Sydney

Re: SHOW YOUR RIG

Postby Passinwind » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:48 pm

Eh, just more Passinwind DIY stuff:

Image

That's my newest solid state preamp build sitting on my DIY 700 watt power amp. When the final front panels arrive the boxes will be mountable in a 2RU rack side by side as well.
User avatar
Passinwind
 
Location: Columbia River Gorge, WA.

Re: SHOW YOUR RIG

Postby Mr. Mom » Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:04 pm

Passinwind wrote:Eh, just more Passinwind DIY stuff:

Image

That's my newest solid state preamp build...


Uhhh..THAT"S all the info we get on it? That it exists?? WTF?? [smilie=angry-smiley-005.gif]

We need details, man. Details!
I don't know and I don't care,
'Cause I don't wear Tonto's underwear.
User avatar
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut
 
Location: Central Ohio

Re: SHOW YOUR RIG

Postby Passinwind » Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:19 pm

Mr. Mom wrote:Uhhh..THAT"S all the info we get on it? That it exists?? WTF?? [smilie=angry-smiley-005.gif]

We need details, man. Details!


OK, the main idea is that the modules can be racked side by side in a standard 2RU case, or stacked a couple of different ways as standalones with smaller cabs like my TC112. Eventually there will be a couple more modules, and mix-and-match will be the thing.

The preamp is very similar to the one in my DIY amp one page page in this thread: three band fixed EQ + variable HPF + one band fully parametric EQ, and a nice Jensen output transformer that allows full pro output levels up to 21 volts RMS, or 28dBu. There's a parallel EFX loop with a volume pot on the return, so usable for an aux input as well. Then there's a separate FET preamp section that can be patched wherever via an insert cable. That preamp has volume and gain controls and can channel some nice classic analog studio pieces, or even go a bit Tube Screamer-ish. That works well for a quasi G-K boost thing, for example. With gain at unity it makes a reasonably nice DI send too:

Image


So here's the gut shot of that build:

Image


and the front panel layout, to be done in blue anodized aluminum:

Image


The matching power amp is currently using the new ICEpower 700 watt module, thanks to a well connected friend of mine. I built it way bomber, with a huge heatsink, so it weighs in at a whopping 7.5 lbs.

Image


I have a different manufacturer's 1000 watt module on the way to check out, I think it can fit in the same size case as well.

And there you have it.
User avatar
Passinwind
 
Location: Columbia River Gorge, WA.

Re: SHOW YOUR RIG

Postby Mr. Mom » Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:09 am

Passinwind wrote:OK, the main idea is that the modules can be racked side by side in a standard 2RU case, or stacked a couple of different ways as standalones with smaller cabs like my TC112. Eventually there will be a couple more modules, and mix-and-match will be the thing.

The preamp is very similar to the one in my DIY amp one page page in this thread: three band fixed EQ + variable HPF + one band fully parametric EQ, and a nice Jensen output transformer that allows full pro output levels up to 21 volts RMS, or 28dBu. There's a parallel EFX loop with a volume pot on the return, so usable for an aux input as well. Then there's a separate FET preamp section that can be patched wherever via an insert cable. That preamp has volume and gain controls and can channel some nice classic analog studio pieces, or even go a bit Tube Screamer-ish. That works well for a quasi G-K boost thing, for example. With gain at unity it makes a reasonably nice DI send too:

Image




Damn my walnut sized brain.

I sorta understand everything except the section I highlighted above. It's sort of a "slight" overdrive/tube-ish channel? And what do you mean "patched wherever via an insert cable"?

BTW, PW.....DAMN!!! [smilie=music-smiley-005.gif] Everything you build/conjure up is right up my alley. EVERY amp should have a variable HPF. EVERY amp should have at last one band of parametric (or semi-parametric) EQ. Those two things right there will get you about 80-90% where you want to be. IMO, YMMV, etc etc.
I don't know and I don't care,
'Cause I don't wear Tonto's underwear.
User avatar
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut
 
Location: Central Ohio

Re: SHOW YOUR RIG

Postby Passinwind » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:48 am

Mr. Mom wrote:I sorta understand everything except the section I highlighted above. It's sort of a "slight" overdrive/tube-ish channel? And what do you mean "patched wherever via an insert cable"?


Hey Bruce,

That circuit was done by a engineer who works for someone pretty famous in the world of old school analog studio gear. His idea was to build a bass-centric front end for channel strips and/or his own bass preamp that will be coming out sooner or later. I helped him a bit with prototyping and built up a few quick and dirty circuit boards to mess around with myself:

Image

It can do a bit of gain and mild overdrive, but the idea is "tubiness" via harmonic enhancement. Kind of like a Fulltone clean boost, or something similar, but the clean part is really really clean and the noise floor is uber-low, and the original version is optimized for high impedance passive basses, of which I have none. I just had this extra lower impedance version board kicking around and wondered what I could use it for. Well, lots of things in my rig, so I put it on an insert jack that takes a TRS jack and breaks it out to send and receive jacks, like the way compressors are inserted on individual mixer channels. So it can be the main input, the EFX send, a DI send, an EFX return, an Aux return for an MP3 player, or even get used with other boxes for gain matching/leveling purposes. Suppose you have a stomp box that doesn't play nice with line level signals? Insert the "Rumblinbass" preamp and you're covered. This was probably a one time tangent, as IP issues and licensing fees aren't really congruent with my hobbyist bent. Image
User avatar
Passinwind
 
Location: Columbia River Gorge, WA.

Re: SHOW YOUR RIG

Postby Mr. Mom » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:43 am

Passinwind wrote:
Mr. Mom wrote:I sorta understand everything except the section I highlighted above. It's sort of a "slight" overdrive/tube-ish channel? And what do you mean "patched wherever via an insert cable"?


Hey Bruce,

That circuit was done by a engineer who works for someone pretty famous in the world of old school analog studio gear. His idea was to build a bass-centric front end for channel strips and/or his own bass preamp that will be coming out sooner or later. I helped him a bit with prototyping and built up a few quick and dirty circuit boards to mess around with myself:

Image

It can do a bit of gain and mild overdrive, but the idea is "tubiness" via harmonic enhancement. Kind of like a Fulltone clean boost, or something similar, but the clean part is really really clean and the noise floor is uber-low, and the original version is optimized for high impedance passive basses, of which I have none. I just had this extra lower impedance version board kicking around and wondered what I could use it for. Well, lots of things in my rig, so I put it on an insert jack that takes a TRS jack and breaks it out to send and receive jacks, like the way compressors are inserted on individual mixer channels. So it can be the main input, the EFX send, a DI send, an EFX return, an Aux return for an MP3 player, or even get used with other boxes for gain matching/leveling purposes. Suppose you have a stomp box that doesn't play nice with line level signals? Insert the "Rumblinbass" preamp and you're covered. This was probably a one time tangent, as IP issues and licensing fees aren't really congruent with my hobbyist bent. Image


OK. So it's like having two preamps (clean and slightly tube-y/dirty/gritty) in the same box that can be combined or not?
I don't know and I don't care,
'Cause I don't wear Tonto's underwear.
User avatar
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut
 
Location: Central Ohio

Re: SHOW YOUR RIG

Postby Passinwind » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:36 pm

Mr. Mom wrote:OK. So it's like having two preamps (clean and slightly tube-y/dirty/gritty) in the same box that can be combined or not?


Yep, except the second one can also be dead clean if desired, and it comes before the HPF, so if you use it as the DI send then sound deWd can high pass at the board without having to fight whatever you have dialed in for your cab. Basically, I hated having my friend's killer design collecting dust, so I made up some semi-useful things to do with it.
User avatar
Passinwind
 
Location: Columbia River Gorge, WA.

Re: SHOW YOUR RIG

Postby Mr. Mom » Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:24 am

Passinwind wrote:Yep, except the second one can also be dead clean if desired, and it comes before the HPF, so if you use it as the DI send then sound deWd can high pass at the board without having to fight whatever you have dialed in for your cab. Basically, I hated having my friend's killer design collecting dust, so I made up some semi-useful things to do with it.


Damn, dude. That sounds very nice!
I don't know and I don't care,
'Cause I don't wear Tonto's underwear.
User avatar
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut
 
Location: Central Ohio

Re: SHOW YOUR RIG

Postby Passinwind » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:58 pm

Here's how the new front panel came out:

Image
Last edited by Passinwind on Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Passinwind
 
Location: Columbia River Gorge, WA.

Re: SHOW YOUR RIG

Postby Mr. Mom » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:01 pm

Oh. My. Freakin'. GAWD!

:drool
I don't know and I don't care,
'Cause I don't wear Tonto's underwear.
User avatar
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut
 
Location: Central Ohio

Re: SHOW YOUR RIG

Postby Mr. Mom » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:38 am

Lets get a back shot of that thing, too.
I don't know and I don't care,
'Cause I don't wear Tonto's underwear.
User avatar
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut
 
Location: Central Ohio

PreviousNext

Return to AMPLIFICATION



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron