Fender Japan '66 Reissue Jazz Bass

Leo got it right.

Fender Japan '66 Reissue Jazz Bass

Postby BigDaveOnBass » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:10 am

Has anyone seen, played or otherwise held on to one of these basses? They sure are pretty. I got a serious case of GAS for a white one. By the time I'd pay the shipping and purchase price, I'd have @ $1320 in it. Is it worth it?

I love being alive and I will be the best man I possibly can.
I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to everyone who will take it....
seek knowledge from those wiser....
and teach those who wish to learn from me.
~Duane Allman~
BigDaveOnBass

Re: Fender Japan '66 Reissue Jazz Bass

Postby Rich M » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:54 pm

I haven't held one, but they do look nice and seem to get good reviews. For that kind of dough, I would be looking for an older MIA AV series or maybe even an early '80s MIJ JV or SQ series. Just an opinion though since I seem to gravitate toward older wood.
Information is the currency of democracy.
Rich M
Bouncer

Postby Rhian Batson » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:42 pm

All the MIJ/CIJ basses I own or previously owned have all been top shelf sounding/feeling/playing basses. With that being said, 13-1400 bucks is s stiff price tag when you could part a cool player together or hunt down a similar used CIJ/MIJ J for much less than that IMO.
Then again, if you have the dough and you want it ... what the hell, yanno? You only live once.
Rhian Batson
Bouncer

Links: Yanno, you live a very short time and then you spend a very long time dead so eat great food, love extra hard, hold on for the ride, and play some bass along the way.

Postby hmagman » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:12 am

BigDaveOnBass wrote:Has anyone seen, played or otherwise held on to one of these basses? They sure are pretty. I got a serious case of GAS for a white one. By the time I'd pay the shipping and purchase price, I'd have @ $1320 in it. Is it worth it?

Oh man, that's a beauty! :drool
Harry
hmagman

Postby Caca de Kick » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:36 am

Fender Japan offers the same RI Jazz with dots and binding (but they incorrectly call it a 65RI), in white, black, and red with matching headstocks. I think if I was spending that kind of money to get one imported I'd go with the harder to find dots and binding.
Caca de Kick

Postby DaveyG67 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:54 pm

Fender Japan offers the same RI Jazz with dots and binding (but they incorrectly call it a 65RI), in white, black, and red with matching headstocks. I think if I was spending that kind of money to get one imported I'd go with the harder to find dots and binding.

+1... I got mine in Dec.'07 off ebay from a dealer in Japan, think I paid about 1K w/shipping. Money well spent, best Jazz I've played or owned

Note: I added the covers & ovals to make it look more legit... [smilie=cool-smiley-031.gif]

The white w/tort & blocks looks killer too though...
Last edited by DaveyG67 on Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DaveyG67
Sacto Ho

Postby BigDaveOnBass » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:18 am

Davey, any chance you could fix the picture link so I can see your bass?
I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to everyone who will take it....
~Duane Allman~
BigDaveOnBass

Postby DaveyG67 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:09 pm

Okey dokey, problem solved... uploaded via Facebook... [smilie=fun_84.gif]
DaveyG67
Sacto Ho

Postby BigDaveOnBass » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:33 pm

OH MY....God, that's purty!!! Thanks man!
~Duane Allman~
BigDaveOnBass

Postby davelowell » Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:45 am

So, Dave, what did you do? I am interested in getting a different bass from Japan and I'm curious how easy or difficult it really is.
davelowell

Postby BigDaveOnBass » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:23 am

davelowell wrote:So, Dave, what did you do? I am interested in getting a different bass from Japan and I'm curious how easy or difficult it really is.

I did nothing. I got two kids in college and the whole family is going to Belize in November with a church group. I'm too poor to buy a new bass right now. [smilie=smilie_kopf.gif]
~Duane Allman~
BigDaveOnBass

Postby RMS » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:59 pm

I had one...OTM block/binding. Pups were so-so so I dropped in SD ant. II. Sounded much better. A very warm, good sounding bass though a little heavy. $1300 good? Probably not but used $750-850, yeah. Have owned maybe 5-6 MIJ/CIJ Fenders, only one I though was a average sounding bass.
I hate being wrong, but love it when I'm set straight. - Harlan Ellison

Blog: http://amnesiackidb.tumblr.com/
RMS

Postby vates » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:27 pm

DaveyG67 wrote:

+1... I got mine in Dec.'07 off ebay from a dealer in Japan, think I paid about 1K w/shipping. Money well spent, best Jazz I've played or owned

Note: I added the covers & ovals to make it look more legit... [smilie=cool-smiley-031.gif]

The white w/tort & blocks looks killer too though...

The picture is not available :(

And does someone remember the exact name of the model? Thank you!
vates

Postby DaveyG67 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:07 pm

I'll see if I can fix the pic when I get home in a bit...
DaveyG67
Sacto Ho

Postby vates » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:46 am

Thanks! [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif]

And maybe Michael could recall the actual model name [smilie=food-smiley-004.gif]
vates

Next

Return to FENDER