Unusual Tim Bogert Fender Bass

Leo got it right.

Unusual Tim Bogert Fender Bass

Postby BigDaveOnBass » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:12 pm

Someone on another discussion forum posted this old video of Vanilla Fudge playing on The Ed Sullivan Show to showcase Carmine Appice's drumming skills, but I got to looking at Tim Bogert's bass, and doing a Google search for it, I turned up nothing. It looks like it's a Fender, with a Telecaster shaped body and headstock, but I also noticed it has a rosewood fretboard, and what appears to be Gibson EB style pick ups. No close ups of the bass, only Tim up on the mic singing back ups. Has anyone else ever seen this bass, or have any idea what it is/was? Man, wouldn't THAT make a nice signature model Fender?

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com
I love being alive and I will be the best man I possibly can.
I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to everyone who will take it....
seek knowledge from those wiser....
and teach those who wish to learn from me.
~Duane Allman~
BigDaveOnBass

Re: Unusual Tim Bogert Fender Bass

Postby ampig » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:01 am

Interesting. Where's the Fender guru's?
Howard

"That's no surprise, kids are too cool for tort" - aussiemark
ampig

Links: http://myspace.com/delvers

Postby pathdoc » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:19 am

I don't know what it is either but it sure looks cool. Maybe its a one off custom and forerunner of the ASAT.
Home of vinecrestaudio.
pathdoc

Postby BigDaveOnBass » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:59 pm

Doc, I was thinking ASAT too, but at one point in the video, you can tell it's definitely a Fender neck. Still, it was after the CBS buy out of Fender and he could have been working with Leo on a design.
I love being alive and I will be the best man I possibly can.
I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to everyone who will take it....
seek knowledge from those wiser....
and teach those who wish to learn from me.
~Duane Allman~
BigDaveOnBass

Postby Gil Escalera » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:04 am

On Tim Bogert's discussion forum on his website http://www.TimBogert.com he states that the 'Ed Sullivan' bass was a 1968 Telecaster. The neck is a '68 for sure (Tim had/has a thing for that neck), the body is another story. In another interview (I couldn't find it :() he mentions that he used to get custom basses from Fender as well as mix & match parts himself. So... who knows what it is. [smilie=smilie_kopf.gif]

Vintage Guitar Magazine wrote:In the glory days of the original Vanilla Fudge, Bogert was known to favor Fender Precision Basses with Telecaster Bass necks, as well as Fender amplifiers. But we asked about an old photo of the band that shows him playing what appears to be a Fender Jazz Bass with a Tele Bass neck.

“That was the first bass of mine that was stolen at a gig, right off the stage,” he recalled. “I took my bass off, and a roadie put it on a stand in front of the amp while I did an interview. All of a sudden, I heard all this commotion, and people went running out the door behind the stage. Some guy had picked up my bass, ran through the parking lot, hopped into a car, and was gone. We never did catch him.

“But I had made two or three instruments like that before I was given one by Fender, as an endorser. I played with configurations back then like I play with motorcycles now.”

Tim Bogert Interview
APRIL 26, 2007

Vintage Guitar Magazine wrote:It originally had a rosewood fingerboard, but I saw Tim Bogert on the back cover of Beck, Bogert and Appice, and he had what I thought was a Telecaster Bass neck on his P-Bass. So I went out and bought a Telecaster Bass and put the neck on my P-Bass, because I wanted to be like Tim Bogert. When I became friends with him, I found out it wasn’t a Telecaster Bass, it was just the headstock on a prototype Fender made for him. But I love the ’68 Tele neck because it’s just a giant. The neck on the Attitude bass is modeled after that neck – they’re big, fat, fine, and beautiful.

Billy Sheehan Interview
NOVEMBER 30, 2010

- Gil
To "B" or not to "B"... that is the question. ;)
Gil Escalera
Global Bouncer

Postby Ben Esparza » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:00 pm

I always remember seeing him in the early days using this bass:

Looks like a Precision with a Tele Bass neck. I can't figure out the thumbrest in the bridge pickup position. Maybe had to do with his raking technique that he's so well known for. You gotta admit: the combination of Camine Appice's right foot and Tim Bogert's busy bass lines that didn't step on anyone's toes KILLED!
"You can talk about virtuosity all you want, but what it comes down to is you're supposed to back up the other guys. They're not supposed to notice you until you stop."
- Keith Ferguson
Ben Esparza

Postby GonzoBass » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:47 am

Ben Esparza wrote:I can't figure out the thumbrest in the bridge pickup position.

That IS odd.
Maybe it's used to help with dampening
(as in: it holds the sponge against the strings)?
[smilie=coz.gif]
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Aloha-
Papa Gonzo
GonzoBass
Global Bouncer

Links: .
Tools:
Steinberger XP2 Workhorse (DB Bridge)
Steinberger XP2 (B-E-A-D)
Steinberger XP2A (Back Up)
Wilkat GonzoBass #001
Fender Deluxe 24 Fret Jazz
EBMM Stingray Natural/Maple
Xavier Custom 6 String
Ibanez AEB10K Acoustic
Dean Rhapsody 8 String
Carvin BK2A Fretless
Gibson EB3 (Project)
Epiphone Newport EBS
Synsonic Half Scale
Fender Mandolin
A couple Flea Ukuleles
and a few guitars...

Rigs:
Small-
GK MB112 combo
Medium-
GK MB500
GK 2x10 Neo
Large-
GK 1001 Mark II 2x10 combo
GK 1x15 RBS

Effects:
Line 6 Bass POD XT Live
BBE 462 Sonic Maximizer

Postby Rob Francis » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:55 pm

Maybe but I have seen it in a few videos while trying to id the bass (as originally posed) no sponge etc??????
Rob Francis

Postby neilmurraybass » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:00 am

It's a finger rest.
Here's a quote from a website:
http://www.vintageguitar.com/11004/tim- ... ed-fender/

“In ’65 or ’66, when I started working with the Pigeons, we would do these crescendos. But the volume on Fenders back then would drop off really quickly if you tried working the Volume control. So instead, I would brace my thumb on that rest and work the strings to make the crescendos smoother. I learned to do that very precisely.”
neilmurraybass

Return to FENDER