Opinions on MIA American Standard Jazz Basses

Leo got it right.

Opinions on MIA American Standard Jazz Basses

Postby Ben Esparza » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:02 pm

What do you guys think? Gets the job done? Don't like what the 2 graphite rods in the neck do to the tone? Do like what the 2 graphite rods in the neck do to the tone? Too "zingy"? Too sterile?

Please give me your biased opinions on the American Standard Jazz. I have access to one and the price is obscenely right.
"You can talk about virtuosity all you want, but what it comes down to is you're supposed to back up the other guys. They're not supposed to notice you until you stop."
- Keith Ferguson
Ben Esparza

Re: Opinions on MIA American Standard Jazz Basses

Postby bigfatbass » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:24 pm

If it's from the early series they are GARBAGE (93-ish). Complete and utter waste of parts. The graphite in the neck was so poorly placed and under tensioned, it caused the neck to completely pretzel with every change in wind direction. Had mine turned into a fretless by Mike Dolan, and replaced the stock pups with a set of Fralins.
"Time Is the river, eternity is the ocean, music is the water.
Play what you hear, hear what you play.
Trust your ears, serve your soul." ~Philip Toshio Sudo "Zen Guitar"

Viva Los Blancos!
http://www.casablancos.com
bigfatbass
Road Dog

Links: http://www.casablancos.com

Postby RMS » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:42 pm

Depends on what era and which specific bass. The latest ones (with the "thin skin" finishes) are better then they have been but vary by bass. IME, late 90s and this more recent run have been the best modern runs.
I hate being wrong, but love it when I'm set straight. - Harlan Ellison

Blog: http://amnesiackidb.tumblr.com/
RMS

Postby Rhian Batson » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:24 pm

Never cared much for the 90's MIA stuff myself. It wasn't the graphite directly though ... or so I thought at the time. It was an issue with the setup. For the life of me, I could not get the relief/setup I liked out of a bass with the graphite rods in the neck. They simply would not flex/react like a regular neck would. I like a pretty flat neck, not much relief, low action. You would think that graphite would be a plus for this but it was a major PITA for me. I had a couple and never could get a setup I liked ... slap one of my spare 70's necks on it and bam, no problemo. Now take a MIM instrument of the same era and I had no problems with them, infact all of the MIA stuff went away over the years in place for MIM bodies mated with my spare necks. That combination made for some seriously rad sounding & playing instruments. Not the best response, but in hind sight, the weirdness in setup could be traced back to the graphite rods? Dunno for sure ... anyhow, this was my experience with MIA J's of this era.

If it is a really sweet deal, Id buy it just to flip t and make some dough. Best of luck to you. [smilie=food-smiley-004.gif]

** In retrospect, I do recall owning a precision deluxe that had the graphite reinforced neck that I could dial in a sweet low setup for the slappity slap tappity tap solo stuff. That bass was older IIRC early 2000's ? ... can't recall for sure. Anyhow, with that one, the only setup weirdness I remember was the dreaded 12th fret hump, right over the mounting bolts but it wasn't terrible, just something I noticed with that bass in particular.
Rhian Batson
Bouncer

Links: Yanno, you live a very short time and then you spend a very long time dead so eat great food, love extra hard, hold on for the ride, and play some bass along the way.

Postby Ben Esparza » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:08 pm

Do you have to use extra long scale strings because of the string-through bridge or will regular long scale strings work?
"You can talk about virtuosity all you want, but what it comes down to is you're supposed to back up the other guys. They're not supposed to notice you until you stop."
- Keith Ferguson
Ben Esparza

Postby bigfatbass » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:28 pm

It's a mile through the body, definitely need the long scales.

Viva Los Blancos!
bigfatbass
Road Dog

Postby Rhian Batson » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:09 am

Agreed. I dont like string through either, so I replaced the bridges with threaded saddle ri bridges and or BA2's. I always have a buncha those laying around, so it was an easy cost free swap out.
Rhian Batson
Bouncer

Links: Yanno, you live a very short time and then you spend a very long time dead so eat great food, love extra hard, hold on for the ride, and play some bass along the way.

Postby Golem » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:07 pm

Rhian Batson wrote:** In retrospect, I do recall owning a precision deluxe that had the graphite reinforced
neck that I could dial in a sweet low setup for the slappity slap tappity tap solo stuff.
That bass was older IIRC early 2000's ? ... can't recall for sure. Anyhow, with that one,
the only setup weirdness I remember was the dreaded 12th fret hump, right over the
mounting bolts but it wasn't terrible, just something I noticed with that bass in particular.

My USA P-Dlx is a 2008 [+/-], and the neck and fret job are luvvable, but I suspect
thaz the difference between a graphited J and a graphited P ... lotsa more wood in
a P neck .... at least in a recent edition like mine. It's not quite Warwicky, but it's
a noticeable handful .... not especially speedy [but neither am I .... ].

`

New basses are red. Used basses are black.
- - ---- -- - --- - - - --- - ---- -- - - --- - -- - -

In a perfect world
At the end of the day
Tomorrow never comes.
Golem

Postby Nedmundo » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:18 am

I'm only familiar with the current American Standard and immediately preceding American Series generations. I have a 2003 four, and a 2008 five. Both are excellent, and the 2003 is probably the best I've played of that generation, and one of the best J-basses I've played, period. It's extremely resonant, and sets up with very low action with the stiff Fender rounds I use. I love the feel of the rounded fretboard edges. With a drop tuner and noiseless Fralins, it covers everything. It's been my number one bass since I bought it new in 2003, though my G&L SB-2 makes it a close case. (I also have a fantastic 2010 G&L JB, which is a step up in some respects, but I prefer some aspects of the Fender.) The 2008 Jazz V is, if anything, even better in terms of fit, finish, and resonance, but I can't set it up as low as any of my other basses for some reason. It still has excellent playability, but should be better IMO. I might take to Philtone in Baltimore for a Plek job this summer, because it will be my only five for the foreseeable future.

I have a few other instruments from the 2000-2007 generation American Series: 2001 "Double Fat" Strat; 2004 Strat; and 2004 Precision. They are all excellent. Back then, I read lots of criticism of Fender's QC, but IMO the problems were mostly attributabe to poor setups in shops. The underlying quality was generally very good, so if the sample in question feels and sounds right, go for it. The newer generation seems better on average, largely thanks to lighter bodies IMO. Don't worry at all about the graphite rods. They may decrease resonance on average (who knows?), but they seem to provide good stability. The necks on my 2003 J and 2004 P barely move, even with the drastic climate and humidity extremes in Philly.
Nedmundo

Postby bigfatbass » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:56 am

I attribute 100% of my troubles with the early series deluxe Jazz 5 to flawed design. The fit/finish/quality of the instrument was, and is, excellent. The frets were very nicely rolled. Before I had them pulled!

Viva Los Blancos!
bigfatbass
Road Dog

Return to FENDER