Vintage price check - 64 jazz

Leo got it right.

Vintage price check - 64 jazz

Postby RMS » Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:05 am

Considering picking up a '64 jazz. Refin body and neck, refret, replacement decal and nut - stock otherwise. Clay dots, non-original HSC. What the going market for a beast like this?

Thanks
I hate being wrong, but love it when I'm set straight. - Harlan Ellison

Blog: http://amnesiackidb.tumblr.com/
RMS

Re: Vintage price check - 64 jazz

Postby steveonbass » Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:21 am

I used to be very in touch with vintage Fender values but that was during the hyper-inflated bubble.
Values on vintage fenders have dropped very drastically
I have no idea anymore. What is the seller asking? Is the bass worth that to you?

Figure out what a straight one is worth and then, for the refin/redecal - cut it in half.
peace
-steve
myspace
steveonbass
Bouncer

Postby felig » Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:45 am

The 2011 Vintage Guitar Price Guide shows $9K to $11K for '63-'64 in Sunburst (the least valued finish for vintage Jazzes)--this was also the price range in the 2010 Guide. I know the common rule of thumb is 1/2 of the least valued finish for a refinish...but I don't know if the market for end consumer prices really reflects a 1/2 price valuation, but at least it's a good starting point. With all of the other work done on it, that would knock something additional off. I'd suggest going to some dealer sites like Kebo's & see where the prices are hitting.
felig

Postby RMS » Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:15 am

steveonbass wrote:I used to be very in touch with vintage Fender values but that was during the hyper-inflated bubble.
Values on vintage fenders have dropped very drastically
I have no idea anymore.

Ditto. I'd like to negotiate a price that I could sell it for around what I pay even in a down market.
I hate being wrong, but love it when I'm set straight. - Harlan Ellison

Blog: http://amnesiackidb.tumblr.com/
RMS

Postby felig » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:33 am

I still have a knack for buying high & selling low....somethings just don't change.
felig

Return to FENDER