Blacktop Jazz Bass

Leo got it right.

Blacktop Jazz Bass

Postby KPJ » Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:11 pm

So, I love Jazz Basses: the necks, the body shapes; they just feel right to me. I was wanting a P pickup bass, however. I was going to check out an Aerodyne or Reggie Hamilton, but then I stumbled upon this:

The feel is all Jazz Bass - nice thin neck, but soundwise it's a completely different animal. Both pickups even it has a very Jazz-like sound, but with a heavy does of P. I prefer the neck pickup sound, which is very P-like. The neck pickup is very nasal, maybe even moreso than a singlecoil Jazz. Mixing the levels of the two pickups yields quite a variety of tones. It is my go-to bass at the moment. The only gipe I have is that the tone control has very little effect over the first two thirds of travel. I am debating installing either a stacked knob setup or an Audere for more tonal control.

Kevin Johnson

KPJ

Links: Fender Blacktop Jazz w/Audere Squire Affinity V Jazz w/Audere Squire Affinity V Jazz Fretless
ADA MB-1 Peavey IPR-1600 Ashdown Little Bastard 30 Peavey 410TVX Acoustic B15
www.revebnation.com/uncleruth

Re: Blacktop Jazz Bass

Postby ghiadub » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:08 pm

I have always wanted to try a P bridge pickup. Dig that amp too.
"Play the music, not the instrument"

Ghiadub Trio | Makosa | Campfire Crooners | Videos
ghiadub
Bouncer

Postby Rhian Batson » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:21 pm

Very cool bass [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif] If you can find one, the Raven Labs JBR1 is a wonderful onboard pre as well - articulate, rich and deep tone. Bummed me out when Steve Rabe of RL retired. Your bass reminds me of an 83 (IIRC) P Elite 2 that I wish I still had. One of the many that got away in GAS induced stupidity. Looks like whoever did the pickup mod, did a real clean route job. Some custom pick guards in brown tort and mint would be fun [smilie=grinning-smiley-044.gif]
Rhian Batson
Bouncer

Links: Yanno, you live a very short time and then you spend a very long time dead so eat great food, love extra hard, hold on for the ride, and play some bass along the way.

Postby KPJ » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:01 am

Rhian Batson wrote:Very cool bass [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif] If you can find one, the Raven Labs JBR1 is a wonderful onboard pre as well - articulate, rich and deep tone. Bummed me out when Steve Rabe of RL retired.

I'll keep an eye out. I do have an Audere on the way. It won't go to waste as I have 4 Jazz-style basses at the moment.

Rhian Batson wrote:Your bass reminds me of an 83 (IIRC) P Elite 2 that I wish I still had. One of the many that got away in GAS induced stupidity.

The Elite had the neck pickup in the usual P spot, but otherwise, very similar.

Rhian Batson wrote: Looks like whoever did the pickup mod, did a real clean route job. Some custom pick guards in brown tort and mint would be fun [smilie=grinning-smiley-044.gif]

It's not a mod, it's a regular Fender offering now: Blacktop Jazz Bass

Definitely will look into pickguards. I like the black, but tort would be nice. The stock one is prone to scratching easily.
Kevin Johnson

KPJ

Links: Fender Blacktop Jazz w/Audere Squire Affinity V Jazz w/Audere Squire Affinity V Jazz Fretless

Postby Rhian Batson » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:37 am

Wow very cool. That bass is going to scream with that pre. Which model did you decide on? Congrats [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif]
Rhian Batson
Bouncer

Links: Yanno, you live a very short time and then you spend a very long time dead so eat great food, love extra hard, hold on for the ride, and play some bass along the way.

Postby KPJ » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:20 am

I'm going to try the Audere first and see how it sounds.
Kevin Johnson

KPJ

Postby Rhian Batson » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:50 pm

Right, which one JZ3, JZ3D, JZ6D or I suppose you could stick a 3ZB in there if you wanted.
Rhian Batson
Bouncer

Postby KPJ » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:36 pm

Rhian Batson wrote:Right, which one JZ3, JZ3D, JZ6D or I suppose you could stick a 3ZB in there if you wanted.

Oh yeah, duh! I thought your question was odd! JZ3-VB-3B.
Kevin Johnson

KPJ

Postby Rhian Batson » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:34 pm

LOL No problemo man [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif] . Yanno, speaking of J's, this active Squier Deluxe 5ver has me totally intrigued. I mean for a beater J fiver, I dont see how you could go wrong and it's easy on the eyes [smilie=grinning-smiley-044.gif]

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/squier-deluxe-jazz-bass-active-v-5-string-bass

It's that or the Marcus Miller V but I cant justify dropping MM kinda dough for a fiver right now. Heck, for the Squier price point you could drop a nice pre in there and still make out for under 5-6 bills.
Rhian Batson
Bouncer

Postby KPJ » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:58 am

Those Squier Deluxes are nice, the neck is thicker than I prefer. I picked up an Affinity V, which has the same bones as a standard Fender (alder body, maple/rosewood neck) for $200 and dropped a used Audere in it. Killer bass for about $300. The neck is proportional to a standard Jazz as well, nice and thin at the nut as opposed to chunky like the Deluxe. I added a standard tort guard and a repro Fender decal as well.

Kevin Johnson

KPJ

Postby Rhian Batson » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:53 pm

Nice bass :D Looks sweet and I dig the repro decal.
Rhian Batson
Bouncer

Postby BigDaveOnBass » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:56 pm

One of my buds in the church band just picked up a Blacktop Precision and it's very nice, too. Felt nice, played nice, sounded nice and is a great value for @ $450-475 (he got it online and I can't remember exactly how much he paid for it, but it was in that range.)

I love being alive and I will be the best man I possibly can.
I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to everyone who will take it....
seek knowledge from those wiser....
and teach those who wish to learn from me.
~Duane Allman~
BigDaveOnBass

Postby KPJ » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:23 pm

Rhian Batson wrote:Nice bass :D Looks sweet and I dig the repro decal.

Thanks. Notice I kept the "Affinity" logo, lest there be any confusion!
Kevin Johnson

KPJ

Postby Golem » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:48 pm

ghiadub wrote:I have always wanted to try a P bridge pickup.
Dig that amp too.

It might be news to you, based only on your
above comment, to hear that many "soap
bar" PUs are rectangular covers on a P-type
[split coil] PU. A lotta what looks like dual
humbugger basses are actually dual P-PU
basses. Despite the hidden [covered] pole
pieces, all you need is a small ferrous tool
[like a small allen wrench] to sense where
the poles lie underneath those covers.

`

New basses are red. Used basses are black.
- - ---- -- - --- - - - --- - ---- -- - - --- - -- - -

In a perfect world
At the end of the day
Tomorrow never comes.
Golem

Postby KPJ » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:47 am

I got the Audere and dropped it in last night. Initial thoughts are very positive. I haven't had a chance to play around with it too much yet, but it is mostly what I expected, as I have an Audere in my Jazz. Low Z mode with the twin P pickups is massive, though! Kind of getting into G&L tone territory.
Kevin Johnson

KPJ

Return to FENDER