Fender Jazz V

Leo got it right.

Fender Jazz V

Postby Sloom » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:56 am

Don't know why, but the Fender Jazz V, a MIM, that I just procured in a trade is the only really good-feeling 5-string I've played yet. It needs a truss-rod tweak, it's got the Jazz-hum, and it's that boring, stock wine-red color... but it feels great and sounds pretty darn good. Fender just is the one you have to come back to. What the??

Funny, don't know what it is. Great bass.
"Whatever we do, it is what it is, and we do it".
-The Grubs.

Tad Lackluster's Soundcloud
Sloom

Links: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Novera ... 7439378..1

Re: Fender Jazz V

Postby GonzoBass » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:49 am

Let's see it!
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Aloha-
Papa Gonzo
GonzoBass
Global Bouncer

Links: .
Tools:
Steinberger XP2 Workhorse (DB Bridge)
Steinberger XP2 (B-E-A-D)
Steinberger XP2A (Back Up)
Wilkat GonzoBass #001
Fender Deluxe 24 Fret Jazz
EBMM Stingray Natural/Maple
Xavier Custom 6 String
Ibanez AEB10K Acoustic
Dean Rhapsody 8 String
Carvin BK2A Fretless
Gibson EB3 (Project)
Epiphone Newport EBS
Synsonic Half Scale
Fender Mandolin
A couple Flea Ukuleles
and a few guitars...

Rigs:
Small-
GK MB112 combo
Medium-
GK MB500
GK 2x10 Neo
Large-
GK 1001 Mark II 2x10 combo
GK 1x15 RBS

Effects:
Line 6 Bass POD XT Live
BBE 462 Sonic Maximizer

Postby Sloom » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:08 pm

Yeah,yeah... you've seen a million of 'em! But I'll take a photo later. I'm supposed to be at work, but our computer bit the dust and I'm setting up a new one now... my kids'll need it for school. But it's got a nice, real metal diamond-plate pick-guard, which is kinda cool. I'm going to repaint it white though, the same as my Hamer (you know, *that* Hamer, the one I remodeled... [smilie=music-smiley-005.gif] ).

Tonite, I guess! [smilie=cool-smiley-031.gif]
-The Grubs.

Sloom

Postby Rhian Batson » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:59 pm

Ya man, yanno the routine. Pics or it doesnt exist [smilie=grinning-smiley-044.gif]
Rhian Batson
Bouncer

Links: Yanno, you live a very short time and then you spend a very long time dead so eat great food, love extra hard, hold on for the ride, and play some bass along the way.

Postby Sloom » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:43 pm

Grudgingly makes way to basement with cheap Olympus digital snap-shooter...
-The Grubs.

Sloom

Postby Sloom » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:45 am

Repents and moves operation up to the living room...

Needs some setting up and another truss-rod turn, and it's got some kind of stepped-winding strings, the steps at the bridge. Don't know... but it plays great, and again, a bit of weirdness about this bass: I am not having any overt issues playing this one in a more 'normal' playing position, i.e., using the top horn to hang the strap on. For me this has been a problem- and I've modified all my basses to accomodate my peculiarity in this matter, but this bass doesn't seem to need it. It's comfy! [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif] I still moved the rear button from the bottom to the back of the body, and forward toward the neck a few inches (like maybe 6"), but it's playing nice otherwise. And it's lighter than my 4-string Squier P-Bass, even with the metal diamond-plate thing on it.

Anyway, there she is.

Note... there's also a split in the headstock at the back, down off the B-string tuner to the bottom edge of the headstock. It was apparently doweled/dutchman'd at the factory, and the tuner turned so the locator screw would skip the split and not aggravate it. I'll probably fix that with some Epoxy and a toothpick to fill the screw-hole, and re-align the tuner so it's 'square' with the others. That kind of thing just bugs me...

There WILL BE chrome knobs, and a scuffing and white nitro spray job. I have to have it match the Hamer. Show-biz, don't you know... [smilie=cool-smiley-031.gif]
-The Grubs.

Sloom

Postby Rhian Batson » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:53 am

Cool bass [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif] The taperwound strings are my favs on 5vers. To my ears you get improved sustain and I like the action. Ive always been a fan of white/cream & a brown or rusty tort but Im also a fan of redwine and mint as well. Glad you're diggin it!

Love the hardwood floors BTW [smilie=grinning-smiley-044.gif] (sorry I dork out on wood floors)
Rhian Batson
Bouncer

Links: Yanno, you live a very short time and then you spend a very long time dead so eat great food, love extra hard, hold on for the ride, and play some bass along the way.

Postby Freddels » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:20 am

I happen to like the wine-red color. [smilie=icon_biggrin.gif]
|| Aguilar Tonehammer 500, Ampeg 7 Pro, Markbass CMD102P, GK 800RB||
Freddels

Postby Sloom » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:25 am

Rhian Batson wrote:Cool bass [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif] The taperwound strings are my favs on 5vers. To my ears you get improved sustain and I like the action. Ive always been a fan of white/cream & a brown or rusty tort but Im also a fan of redwine and mint as well. Glad you're diggin it!

Love the hardwood floors BTW [smilie=grinning-smiley-044.gif] (sorry I dork out on wood floors)

Heh, I should have shot it in the front rooms- we got old wide-plank pine in there! Original to the house- it's 200 yrs old, stone-rubble with all kinds of Walnut and Elm framing... next time!

The strings are alright, and actually they feel pretty good, but I'm having a time of getting the buzz out of the action. More later... thanks for the good words though.

Fred, I know you like the wine-red! [smilie=cool-smiley-027.gif] I seen your Jazz Bass...
-The Grubs.

Sloom

Postby jshilgebass » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:30 pm

I have no complaints about my MIM Fender Jazz V, Mine is a dark blue body color with a rosewood fingerboard. I have named him "Wodger". [smilie=grinning-smiley-044.gif]

I had a John East J-Retro preamp installed and swapped out the stock pickups for a set of Fralins. It does the job well when I'm in the mood to play something "Fender"-ish.

Joe Hilgeman
Last edited by jshilgebass on Mon May 07, 2012 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jshilgebass

Postby Sloom » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:57 pm

jshilgebass wrote:I have no complaints about my MIM Fender Jazz V, Mine is a dark blue body color with a rosewood fingerboard. I have named him "Wodger". [smilie=grinning-smiley-044.gif]

[smilie=cheeky-smiley-025.gif]

jshilgebass wrote:I had a John East P-Retro preamp installed and swapped out the stock pickups for a set of Fralins. It does the job well when I'm in the mood to play something "Fender"-ish.

Joe Hilgeman

I was playing mine tonight, and got it set pretty well with the Trace head, an AH250SMX. I've got the head set up with the more generally ignored Pre-Shape 1, the mids-bump. A little compression and graphic eq adjustment, move the EQ Balance control a notch or two to the Treble side, and voila! Sounds almost like the GK, sort of!

I also may end up with different p'ups someday, but I'm finding myself trying hard to steer away from active systems. I just really dislike the need to replace a (disposable) battery to make my instrument work! It's like having a toy, and I don't want to have the muse standing around fidgeting whilst I run off to Benny's for a set of 9-volts! I do keep a set in my bag, but I'll forget that they're there, see... pain in the neck.

I know there are rechargeable kits, but it's just another thing with a wire that needs to be plugged in somewhere. Natch to that. Someday I'll probably just have some kind of custom acoustic bass guitar, with a p'up for optional plugging in. For now, it's passive electronics. The stock pickup jig sounds okay though. I'm liking this bass.
-The Grubs.

Sloom

Postby Sloom » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:01 pm

Oh yeah- that buzz... I got rid of it by tweaking the truss rod and adding a shim inside the neck pocket, but now I think I need to 'lessen' the shim. I'm working it out- setting up is something I just don't do enough of, so it's another hassle! But I'll get there!
-The Grubs.

Sloom

Postby RMS » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:01 pm

Freddels wrote:I happen to like the wine-red color. [smilie=icon_biggrin.gif]

Ditto. Esp. with a black pg.

I owned an MIM Dlx 5er once and it was a great bass for the money.
I hate being wrong, but love it when I'm set straight. - Harlan Ellison

Blog: http://amnesiackidb.tumblr.com/
RMS

Postby Sloom » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:04 pm

RMS wrote:
Freddels wrote:I happen to like the wine-red color. [smilie=icon_biggrin.gif]

Ditto. Esp. with a black pg.

I owned an MIM Dlx 5er once and it was a great bass for the money.

With a black pick-guard, yeah I could dig that... I like Stingrays in that combo. My main gig does a lot of shows with a black backdrop though, and I tend to disappear. I'm alright with it, but with the white bass I "come forward", and well... you know. We look better. [smilie=icon_biggrin.gif]

[smilie=cheeky-smiley-025.gif]
-The Grubs.

Sloom

Postby Freddels » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:45 am

I prefer to disappear into the background. That way people really do think it's the voice of god they are hearing. [smilie=grinning-smiley-044.gif] [smilie=grinning-smiley-044.gif]
|| Aguilar Tonehammer 500, Ampeg 7 Pro, Markbass CMD102P, GK 800RB||
Freddels

Next

Return to FENDER