Precision Tone

Leo got it right.

Precision Tone

Postby ampig » Thu May 17, 2012 3:59 am

I love P's. The full, round, warm, earthy tone does it for me. However, when I get on stage in a higher volume situation, I find myself reaching for the J so I can cut through and hear myself. I have seen plenty of players who manage the same feat with a P, but I seem to struggle to find the right EQ. I know some of you have figured it out, so what frequencies are you boosting/cutting to get to that sweet spot?
Howard

"That's no surprise, kids are too cool for tort" - aussiemark
ampig

Links: http://myspace.com/delvers

Re: Precision Tone

Postby Mike Childree » Thu May 17, 2012 4:06 pm

I wish someone would map out the freq response of an MFD in the neck position. Those things just tromp all over everything else in the mix, yet they still sound quite a bit like a P with rounds.
Mike Childree
Bouncer

Postby Freddels » Thu May 17, 2012 5:55 pm

I just put TI flats on one of my L2K's and with the neck pickup and in parallel position, I think it sounds pretty close to a Precision.
|| Aguilar Tonehammer 500, Ampeg 7 Pro, Markbass CMD102P, GK 800RB||
Freddels

Postby Rhian Batson » Thu May 17, 2012 7:41 pm

I love P's too. Some of what you're talking about IMO is the P's schtick. It can be very warm and round and with that comes a subtle stage presence. With that being said, I totally get what you're saying about a J's cut and on stage presence. I actually use J's for their snappy aggressive pick tone & slap tone primarily. My meat n potatoes one bass on stage compromise from a hardware POV is a PJ + light rounds, usually boomers. This has been my main player for 13+ years - a 78 ash/maple PJ. The fat P low mid punch/warmth and the J pickup adds some nice articulation on the top end/upper mids. 9 times out 10 they're both full on, but sometimes I back the P off a bit to reduce woof if the room needs it. Hand position can be a useful tool for on the fly changes as well. As far as amp EQ, I keep it pretty set and rarely mess with it. A general "frown" on the 10 band EQ with a cut around 30-64hz and then again at 3-5khz and a bump at 8khz. Find a sweet spot with the mids n' set it and forget it. Most rooms I find work well with this approach and most EQ changes can be done on the fly with hand position and/or slight pickup/tone blend. There is that rare room that takes some real EQ fiddling but IME they are rare. Best of luck to you [smilie=food-smiley-004.gif]

Shot of my "standard EQ" below.

Rhian Batson
Bouncer

Links: Yanno, you live a very short time and then you spend a very long time dead so eat great food, love extra hard, hold on for the ride, and play some bass along the way.

Precision Tone

Postby ghiadub » Thu May 17, 2012 10:03 pm

When eq'in, I either dump the bass or not, depending on the acoustics. Every ten gigs or so I find myself boosting the upper mids, but generally it's a volume thing for me. If it gets loud and my amp is not up to the task, it's my bad for bringing too small a rig.

To cut thru, with a "p" tone;
I play less. The dropouts make the music "miss" me.
"Play the music, not the instrument"

Ghiadub Trio | Makosa | Campfire Crooners | Videos
ghiadub
Bouncer

Postby Rhian Batson » Fri May 18, 2012 11:35 am

Ya - definitely need to have enough power. There is no magic EQ that will cut through a loud rock guitar barrage w/o enough volume behind it. That being said, A massive scooped EQ gets ugly, real fast in this scenario. w/o the mids you can't (well I cant for sure) hear yourself worth a damn, so up the volume goes, the lack of mids and excess of lowend gets nasty woofy and the volume war begins with the rest of the band, not to mention you make everything sound really fugly and the the crowd decides it's time to make it back to the bar/concessions for another round. No amount of sound man/engineer magic can fix that train wreck.
Rhian Batson
Bouncer

Links: Yanno, you live a very short time and then you spend a very long time dead so eat great food, love extra hard, hold on for the ride, and play some bass along the way.

Postby pbassplayer » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:31 pm

a few yrs back i bought a sansamp bass driver pedal and that tweaks up a p/bass pretty nice. works for me...
pbassplayer

Postby Freddels » Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:04 am

I put a set of LaBella Deep Talkin' Flats (the one less gauge than the Jamerson's) and I no longer need to cut through the mix as I am instead below the mix. I subbed for a band about a month ago and they absolutely loved it. They said the band sounded PHAT.
|| Aguilar Tonehammer 500, Ampeg 7 Pro, Markbass CMD102P, GK 800RB||
Freddels

Postby dukeplaysbass » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:51 am

This is interesting. My EQ goes exactly the other direction, a slight smile with the mids cut just a bit. Doesn't matter what bass I use (P, J, PJ, single coil, Ray, MFD), that's what seems to work.

Once in a great while, and this seems to happen only when I'm on a house rig instead of my own amp (Ashdown EVO II rackmount) I boost the low mids for a little more thump.

On my rig, I have yet to be outgunned. [smilie=grinning-smiley-044.gif]
Father Gino wrote:...back when men were men and basses had four strings.

Check out my site...
dukeplaysbass
Wunkay Wuver

Postby dukeplaysbass » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:54 am

Freddels wrote:.... I am instead below the mix.

That's kind of where I am. In certain situations, I like a little top end bite to let them know that not only can I shake their innards loose, I can blind them, too. Mostly, I do that from the bass, not the amp.
Father Gino wrote:...back when men were men and basses had four strings.

Check out my site...
dukeplaysbass
Wunkay Wuver

Postby nolabass » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:51 am

Short answer.....IT DEPENDS. I don't think you can answer that question with an EQ "setting" for everybody. Too many variables. We are not discussing what other instruments are on stage, what the room sounds like, finger attack, pick attack, mutes, flats, rounds, effects, what the PA is adding and so on.

With you playing style, EQ settings and band your Jazz works better for your ear.
~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

"Everything Is Oaks & Herbs, My Nerbs" Dr. John
nolabass
Global Bouncer

Postby Gil Escalera » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:14 pm

nolabass wrote:Short answer.....IT DEPENDS. I don't think you can answer that question with an EQ "setting" for everybody. Too many variables. We are not discussing what other instruments are on stage, what the room sounds like, finger attack, pick attack, mutes, flats, rounds, effects, what the PA is adding and so on.

What he said. [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif]

Not to mention the differing styles of music being played.

- Gil
To "B" or not to "B"... that is the question. ;)
Gil Escalera
Global Bouncer

Postby Rhian Batson » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:38 pm

nolabass wrote:Short answer.....IT DEPENDS. I don't think you can answer that question with an EQ "setting" for everybody. Too many variables. We are not discussing what other instruments are on stage, what the room sounds like, finger attack, pick attack, mutes, flats, rounds, effects, what the PA is adding and so on.

With you playing style, EQ settings and band your Jazz works better for your ear.

I think you can assuming you like what you're hearing. That being said, who's to say what I'm hearing is what your ears are and the big caveat - if you like it. The above EQ works much of the time for me minimizing my need to fiddle thus maximizing my focus on playing. IME much of the listed "variables" effect on tone is so nit picky IME they're not effecting the listeners perception in any discernable way. Yes it's hella fun getting stupid over the minutia of gear and the variables are present to our ears but not so much the crowd - that the fundamentals of our tone are quite basic and they don't need much changing or tweaking at all once you've found it. As always IME and YMMV [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif]
Rhian Batson
Bouncer

Return to FENDER