'51 reissue or Sting signature model

Leo got it right.

'51 reissue or Sting signature model

Postby BigDaveOnBass » Tue May 22, 2012 10:42 am

Which one do you like better and why? Ever since I sold my '51 reissue, I've regretted it. The one thing I didn't like about it was the lack of contours on the body. It could get uncomfortable at times where my arm laid against the body. Now I am considering a Sting signature since it is contoured. What do y'all think?
I love being alive and I will be the best man I possibly can.
I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to everyone who will take it....
seek knowledge from those wiser....
and teach those who wish to learn from me.
~Duane Allman~
BigDaveOnBass

Re: '51 reissue or Sting signature model

Postby harleyyy » Tue May 22, 2012 10:53 am

Dave, I have played a Sting and really dug it. IIRC, the neck is pretty chunky with a nice feel. I have a 2002 RI WITH contours (53 RI?), and the neck profile is a bit slimmer from what I remember about the Sting. I strung it with TI Rounds, and really dig this bass. It has a huge vintage vibe. [smilie=cool-smiley-031.gif]

"I try to keep 'Thou shalt not kill.' The rest of them I'm kind of shaky on." Willie Nelson
"Forget The Drama, Shut Up And Play." ME

Mr Meanor on Facebook
harleyyy
Host Of Your Forum

Links: http://badassbassplayers.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/BadAssBassPlayerscom
https://www.facebook.com/MrMeanorBand
http://wwwwww.tonewavetech.com

Postby BigDaveOnBass » Tue May 22, 2012 12:03 pm

Pete, I was thinking '54 was the first year for contours, and the Sting model was based off of his '56 Precision. Anyhow, I can't afford one of those nice Custom Shop pieces, so the '51 reissue or the Sting sig model is about all I'll be able to swing. I am watching a few on eBay. The '51's weren't all that expensive at one time. I bought and sold mine for $500 when I had it. Now they are $200-300 higher than that on eBay. It's crazy! I should have kept mine. Seller's remorse...
I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to everyone who will take it....
~Duane Allman~
BigDaveOnBass

Postby ghiadub » Tue May 22, 2012 12:32 pm

I have played a few of the squier versions of the 50's P and they are actually pretty cool
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/squ ... ass-guitar
"Play the music, not the instrument"

Ghiadub Trio | Makosa | Campfire Crooners | Videos
ghiadub
Bouncer

Postby Rhian Batson » Tue May 22, 2012 8:00 pm

I am also a fan of the chunky neck on the Sting sig. Unfortunately the one I picked up had a ugly sounding SD 1/4lber in it, so instead of replacing it, I flipped it to fund a 75ri which I still have. Wasn't a huge fan of the inlay either, so yeah the big memory of that bass was the fat chunky neck profile. A quick completed listing look on ebay puts em used at between 300-500 which is reasonable to me.I am also a fan of the blonde Squier's that ghiadub mentioned. The bridge is not right, but for the price you cant really go wrong as the tone is sweet and friendly and plays fast. IIRC The neck profile is very different - thinner front to back, not nearly as fat n' chunky as the Sting sig. Fender Bass An illustrated History puts the belly contour at 1954.

Buy something Dave! [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif] & sweet bass, Pete! [smilie=music-smiley-005.gif]
Rhian Batson
Bouncer

Links: Yanno, you live a very short time and then you spend a very long time dead so eat great food, love extra hard, hold on for the ride, and play some bass along the way.

Postby pbassplayer » Wed May 23, 2012 7:09 am

I had a lp blue squire classic vibe 50's p. it was light and comfortable and a pretty decent bass for being so inexpensive..
i sold it when the (cool) butterscotch version came out and bought one of those..it has a beefier neck than the blue one and a light pine body (contoured). they can be found on the web for $329. the b/s version has brass bridge saddles..the tuners are o/k..i'll upgrade if and when they go....
only drawback is pots+input jack are cheesy,but you can hop up these basses quite cheaply ( i had parts lying around)
the p/u is good and unless you want a hotter one there's no need to swap it out, it has that nice single coil thump
i put ti flats on mine and imo these are the only basses that look good w/ the covers* on
* available at all the aftermarket parts places...
i would at least check one out,for less than the price of a used sting or jap 51 ri you could buy one and tweak it your way

i've had real tele basses and a orig 1955 p and this is close...

hope this helps,
mike in syracuse
pbassplayer

Postby BigDaveOnBass » Wed May 23, 2012 1:12 pm

Thanks for the input, fellas. Don't laugh, but I decided to put my '68 EB-3 in the shop for a new fretboard and refin, so for now, the SCPB acquisition is on hold!
~Duane Allman~
BigDaveOnBass

Postby Rhian Batson » Wed May 23, 2012 5:33 pm

All good as long as you post more pics when it's done [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif]
Rhian Batson
Bouncer

Links: Yanno, you live a very short time and then you spend a very long time dead so eat great food, love extra hard, hold on for the ride, and play some bass along the way.

Return to FENDER