Got me Squire today =)

Leo got it right.

Got me Squire today =)

Postby oneluckyguy » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:22 pm

5-string Jazz. Got it from Sweetwater Sound for ehhhh [smilie=coz.gif] oh $305 shipped [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif]

Other than something just plain being 'odd' about 5 strings on a Fender bass [smilie=smilie_kopf.gif] it feels solid, action arrived well set-up by Sweetwater. Glad I've been playing Pete's P-bass 'cuz as a lifetime Jazz player the spread on this neck/strings/etc is larger than I'm used to by a good deal. Going to take some getting used to, that... Bridge has a lot of meat to it. Like my Tele Squire, I'm once again surprised at how much instrument one can get for so little money. Frets are smooth, could be better rounded at the ends. Maple fretboard.

The only two distractions are without a strap it neck dives like a mo [smilie=cheeky-smiley-025.gif] & I need to take some uber-fine steel wool or something and buff the back of the neck just a touch. Not completely smooth (not one of the shiny finished necks) wood feel when moving but even that isn't really annoying, just could be a bit smoother. I keep screwing up tuning it as there's just not supposed to be a tuning key on the bottom of the headstock [smilie=fun_84.gif]

It's really really really weird to look at this Jazz bass sitting here & seeing 5-strings oO

Now the important question - what's it sound like. Not a clue, got no amp [smilie=cheeky-smiley-025.gif]

When I look at the Tele if I was still playing out I'd slowly start to change parts out. I couldn't get a finished semi-hollow painted/finished Telecaster body for what the thing cost, let alone one that comes with little things like a neck etc. I always wound up changing out Fender necks with a Warmoth one, which I ADORED every time it was done. Change tuners, neck throw some better pickups in it, these things are amazing starting points for playing around with. As it is, I'm not going to need to do anything with them. Hard to beat that for two new guitards that ran me $650 basically [smilie=food-smiley-004.gif]

Off the web - another proverbial doesn't do it justice etc etc yada yada:

...3 easy payments o.o ummm.... yeah. Easy? [smilie=fun_84.gif]
oneluckyguy

Links: www.zuperchicken.com

Re: Got me Squire today =)

Postby harleyyy » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:46 pm

OH YA. [smilie=cool-smiley-031.gif]
"I try to keep 'Thou shalt not kill.' The rest of them I'm kind of shaky on." Willie Nelson
"Forget The Drama, Shut Up And Play." ME

Mr Meanor on Facebook
harleyyy
Host Of Your Forum

Links: http://badassbassplayers.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/BadAssBassPlayerscom
https://www.facebook.com/MrMeanorBand
http://wwwwww.tonewavetech.com

Postby GonzoBass » Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:21 am

[smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif] [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif] [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif] [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif]
[smilie=food-smiley-004.gif]
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Aloha-
Papa Gonzo
GonzoBass
Global Bouncer

Links: .
Tools:
Steinberger XP2 Workhorse (DB Bridge)
Steinberger XP2 (B-E-A-D)
Steinberger XP2A (Back Up)
Wilkat GonzoBass #001
Fender Deluxe 24 Fret Jazz
EBMM Stingray Natural/Maple
Xavier Custom 6 String
Ibanez AEB10K Acoustic
Dean Rhapsody 8 String
Carvin BK2A Fretless
Gibson EB3 (Project)
Epiphone Newport EBS
Synsonic Half Scale
Fender Mandolin
A couple Flea Ukuleles
and a few guitars...

Rigs:
Small-
GK MB112 combo
Medium-
GK MB500
GK 2x10 Neo
Large-
GK 1001 Mark II 2x10 combo
GK 1x15 RBS

Effects:
Line 6 Bass POD XT Live
BBE 462 Sonic Maximizer

Postby Rhian Batson » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:46 am

Hell yeah. I have played quite a few of these and I just dont think you can find more bang for your buck in a 5ver for the price point - good looking, playing, sounding, even tone etc. I also am a big fan of the Squier Active 5ver as well. Have fun!! [smilie=music-smiley-005.gif] Got any traditional jazz knobs laying around? [smilie=grinning-smiley-044.gif]
Rhian Batson
Bouncer

Links: Yanno, you live a very short time and then you spend a very long time dead so eat great food, love extra hard, hold on for the ride, and play some bass along the way.

Postby hmagman » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:06 am

[smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif] [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif] [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif] Congrats!
Harry
hmagman

Postby Gil Escalera » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:25 am

Very cool JR! [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif]

Those Squire "Vintage" series basses are an incredible bang-for-the-buck. I've been wanting the fretless for sometime now. Don't need, just want. [smilie=grinning-smiley-044.gif]

Enjoy!
- Gil
To "B" or not to "B"... that is the question. ;)
Gil Escalera
Global Bouncer

Return to FENDER