Short scale Jazz basses

Leo got it right.

Short scale Jazz basses

Postby oneluckyguy » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:45 pm

Tech John Wescott buys up Fender Musicmaster short scale basses & redoes them installing good quality Jazz pickups etc - checked out two of them the other day. Sweet.

Favorite was the one he pulled the frets on and is now a lined short-scale fretless now =)
"The validity of online quotes should always be questioned" - Abraham Lincoln
oneluckyguy

Links: www.zuperchicken.com

Re: Short scale Jazz basses

Postby Rhian Batson » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:12 am

Very cool. Do you have any pictures? The only short scale bass I have at the moment is a mid 60's Japanese something (name badge was gone) with one single coil in the sweet spot. Yanno, Rondo has some cheap shortscale J cloness that would be fun to butcher up, yank the frets etc.

So you gunna buy one?
Rhian Batson
Bouncer

Links: Yanno, you live a very short time and then you spend a very long time dead so eat great food, love extra hard, hold on for the ride, and play some bass along the way.

Postby ghiadub » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:26 am

I yanked the frets out of my danelectro longhorn which is a short scale. I tried a few different strings and settled on the labella black tapes.
Short scales a going to have a less sustain with all other things being equal. I like this, but it throws some folks off.
"Play the music, not the instrument"

Ghiadub Trio | Makosa | Campfire Crooners | Videos
ghiadub
Bouncer

Postby Rhian Batson » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:27 pm

ghiadub wrote:I yanked the frets out of my danelectro longhorn which is a short scale. I tried a few different strings and settled on the labella black tapes.
Short scales a going to have a less sustain with all other things being equal. I like this, but it throws some folks off.

Yeah I have enough trouble with fretted short scales I would never play a fretless one. Holy crap Id be all over the place unless I had my eyes glued to the FB all day like Poindexter.
Rhian Batson
Bouncer

Links: Yanno, you live a very short time and then you spend a very long time dead so eat great food, love extra hard, hold on for the ride, and play some bass along the way.

Return to FENDER