Got a hankerin' for a Precision.

Leo got it right.

Got a hankerin' for a Precision.

Postby Mr. Mom » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:55 pm

I'm thinking used MIM P. Straight up stock. I have a nice Hanson Vintage P pickup around here somewhere that'll drop in if it comes to it.

Good plan? Anything to look for/avoid when it comes to MIM's?
I don't know and I don't care,
'Cause I don't wear Tonto's underwear.
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut

Re: Got a hankerin' for a Precision.

Postby Rhian Batson » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:02 pm

That's a fabulous plan and nope, they're IMO solid basses to play stock or great instruments to tinker with ie: pickups, capacitors, cosmetic stuff etc. I am especially fond of the MIM late 90's red wine & black Js myself but my buddy has a P that is a real ass kicker and his main gig axe. [smilie=food-smiley-004.gif]
Rhian Batson
Bouncer

Links: Yanno, you live a very short time and then you spend a very long time dead so eat great food, love extra hard, hold on for the ride, and play some bass along the way.

Postby Mr. Mom » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:05 pm

That's what I like to hear! Thanks for the input!
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut

Postby nolabass » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:31 pm

I like those a lot. I would want to play the one I buy first.....but I like a lot of those I put hands on. Matter of fact i bought a loose MIM neck cause I like 'em.
~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

"Everything Is Oaks & Herbs, My Nerbs" Dr. John
nolabass
Global Bouncer

Postby Mr. Mom » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:25 am

Thanks NOLA! The plan is to buy local. At any given time there are usually a few used MIM P's around here at GC, SA, MGR, etc. Only one right now, though, that I see on the 'net.

You guys have me convinced: I'll do it! Just have to wait for one to come up locally so I can get my grubby hands on it and take it for a test drive.
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut

Postby Freddels » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:38 am

Squier Vintage Modified or 60's Vibe are also pretty nice. [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif]
|| Aguilar Tonehammer 500, Ampeg 7 Pro, Markbass CMD102P, GK 800RB||
Freddels

Postby aussiemark » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:00 pm

The best MIM P basses are the Roadworn series. The ones I've tried feel better than a lot of the MIJ Fenders I've played/owned - which is saying something
aussiemark

Postby Rhian Batson » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:14 pm

Squier Vintage Modified or 60's Vibe are also pretty nice.

Indeed. Another friend of mine bought a powder blue/RW/tort VM precision that is stiffy hot. I think he got it used but minty for $250.00 US. I would love to have a few VM Ps and Js to part out, mod and have some fun with.
Rhian Batson
Bouncer

Links: Yanno, you live a very short time and then you spend a very long time dead so eat great food, love extra hard, hold on for the ride, and play some bass along the way.

Postby Mr. Mom » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:22 am

Squire Vintage Modified, huh? Hadn't thought about that. I guess the one thing that comes to mind right away when I think of the SVM is the "Squire" on the headstock. I want that "Fender" logo on the headstock.

Vain? Yup. So sue me. [smilie=fun_84.gif]
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut

Postby GonzoBass » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:57 am

Mr. Mom wrote:I want that "Fender" logo on the headstock.

That's actually a pretty easy cosmetic fix...
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Aloha-
Papa Gonzo
GonzoBass
Global Bouncer

Links: .
Tools:
Steinberger XP2 Workhorse (DB Bridge)
Steinberger XP2 (B-E-A-D)
Steinberger XP2A (Back Up)
Wilkat GonzoBass #001
Fender Deluxe 24 Fret Jazz
EBMM Stingray Natural/Maple
Xavier Custom 6 String
Ibanez AEB10K Acoustic
Dean Rhapsody 8 String
Carvin BK2A Fretless
Gibson EB3 (Project)
Epiphone Newport EBS
Synsonic Half Scale
Fender Mandolin
A couple Flea Ukuleles
and a few guitars...

Rigs:
Small-
GK MB112 combo
Medium-
GK MB500
GK 2x10 Neo
Large-
GK 1001 Mark II 2x10 combo
GK 1x15 RBS

Effects:
Line 6 Bass POD XT Live
BBE 462 Sonic Maximizer

Postby nolabass » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:11 pm

GonzoBass wrote:
Mr. Mom wrote:I want that "Fender" logo on the headstock.

That's actually a pretty easy cosmetic fix...

Ha....Gonzo is right.......easy, just buy my MIM neck and swap out. Heh :hid:
~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

"Everything Is Oaks & Herbs, My Nerbs" Dr. John
nolabass
Global Bouncer

Postby Rhian Batson » Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:54 am

Mr. Mom wrote:Squire Vintage Modified, huh? Hadn't thought about that. I guess the one thing that comes to mind right away when I think of the SVM is the "Squire" on the headstock. I want that "Fender" logo on the headstock.

Speaking of Fender logo nuttiness, my fav is the 50's silver spaghetti logo
My 2nd fav is the TV logo.

The MIM Fender logos are like a weird combination of a 60's gold transition logo except it's silver with a fat black border which sends my personal Fenderverse into chaos. Because of this, I actually prefer the Squier VM logos because stylistically, they're like the groovy Fender TV logos. I know it doesn't make sense but that's how it is rationalized in my brain box lol.

Buy a Pbass yet? [smilie=food-smiley-004.gif]
Rhian Batson
Bouncer

Postby Mr. Mom » Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:31 am

Rhian Batson wrote:
Mr. Mom wrote:Squire Vintage Modified, huh? Hadn't thought about that. I guess the one thing that comes to mind right away when I think of the SVM is the "Squire" on the headstock. I want that "Fender" logo on the headstock.

Speaking of Fender logo nuttiness, my fav is the 50's silver spaghetti logo
My 2nd fav is the TV logo.

The MIM Fender logos are like a weird combination of a 60's gold transition logo except it's silver with a fat black border which sends my personal Fenderverse into chaos. Because of this, I actually prefer the Squier VM logos because stylistically, they're like the groovy Fender TV logos. I know it doesn't make sense but that's how it is rationalized in my brain box lol.

Buy a Pbass yet? [smilie=food-smiley-004.gif]

LOL!! Not yet! There's only one around here ATM at the local GC (according to my internet searching). There looks to be nice MIM PJ on Craigslist, but it has a skinny neck. I'm more of a P width neck kind of guy.
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut

Postby hoytbasses » Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:10 pm

Squire Vintage Modified, huh? Hadn't thought about that.

I've had to do plenty of setups of MIM's but the resultant instrument was pretty good! I've seen too many Squires that were nearly unplayable and had to be wrestled into submission. [smilie=food-smiley-004.gif]

kfh
There's nothing Passive about Passive pickups!
hoytbasses

Postby Rhian Batson » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:21 am

hoytbasses wrote:
Squire Vintage Modified, huh? Hadn't thought about that.

I've had to do plenty of setups of MIM's but the resultant instrument was pretty good! I've seen too many Squires that were nearly unplayable and had to be wrestled into submission. [smilie=food-smiley-004.gif]

kfh

I hear ya Karl. Most every VMS bass I've played had horrid unplayable action out of the box - woof. That being said, some wrangling and time and they set up pretty good for me - I did my buddy's two Squier Ps and they worked out pretty well. He is a killer drummer but wanted to learn bass, so he bought this Indo Squire P for like 70 bucks at the LMS. When he told me, I was thinking "yuck - indo firewood" but when he brought it over (I set it up, installed a pearloid pickguard, Muy Grande pickup, Daddario Chromes and a BA2 bridge) that bass really felt, sounded and played great. Don't tell him, but I actually prefer the tone of that indo Squire P to his VMS Pbass which he is way into [smilie=grinning-smiley-044.gif]. Hip little pbass stable he has for under 4 bills IMO. I agree that the MIM instruments are more stable (better/different wood? I dunno). Anyhow they seem to require less TR tweaking through the seasons & the jazz single coils they used in the MIM Js - something about those that just sounded round n' punchy and badass - and that pickup awesomeness did not translate over to the VMS stuff at all IMO. Oh well, yanno we're talking about sub 300 budget basses, so I suppose I shouldn't expect too much lol.
Rhian Batson
Bouncer

Next

Return to FENDER