Got My Precision

Leo got it right.

Re: Got My Precision

Postby jshilgebass » Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:38 pm

Rhian Batson wrote:
Mr. Mom wrote:I don't know if it's still there, but the Columbus GC had a used three pickup Fender P bass. It was on their site last time I checked their used inventory.


A Fender Urge 2 might be something to look at. [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif]

I like both of the the Urge basses, and I would try to find an Urge 2 for myself, but I play more 5 and 6 string basses these days, and the Urge was never made as a 5 string (as far as I know).

Freddels, I want both the neck and bridge jazz pickups with a p-bass pickup, not just the neck jazz pickup. A new Carvin PB5 would not be a good starting point for me; I'd rather find a used Jazz V and only have to do one rout of the body rather than two. But that's a project that's far in the future.


Joe Hilgeman
User avatar
jshilgebass
 
Location: El Cajon, CA

Re: Got My Precision

Postby Mr. Mom » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:00 pm

jshilgebass wrote:I KNEW IT!!! I just knew that you would think about flipping this P-bass sooner or later! [smilie=fun_84.gif] [smilie=cheeky-smiley-025.gif] My faith in your "Bruce the Flipper" nature has been restored. [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif]

I also knew that your Scheff bass in its present form might possibly be the cause of you wavering on keeping the P-bass. I love that configuration of 2 jazz and 1 precision for pickups...it's starting me thinking about possibly finding a Jazz 5 and getting someone to rout a hole for a P5 pickup. Something like this is almost certain to out-P or out-'Ray any P or 'Ray as you yourself have said (and found out under real-world playing conditions).

I would take that P-bass off your hands, but I already have one that scratches my P-bass itch. Ironically, It's on loan to a good friend of mine...he was using my SUB 5, but I prevailed on him to swap it back. [smilie=smilie_kopf.gif]


Joe Hilgeman


My Scheff is my take on what a P or J should sound like. Both the P and bridge J are closer to the bridge than a Fender. The P is reversed. Bridge pickup is overwound and single coil. All the pickups have a throaty quality to them that, to my ears, sound good in a mix without being muddy. Active electronics with two blends give a TON of different tones. And the amount of useable tones on this thing is surprising, IMO.

Overall it does a J-meets-a-P-meets-a-Ray thing that I like.

I know...I know....Talking about my Scheff in the Fender forum. BUT I did mention "Fender", no? [smilie=fun_84.gif]
I don't know and I don't care,
'Cause I don't wear Tonto's underwear.
User avatar
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut
 
Location: Central Ohio

Re: Got My Precision

Postby jshilgebass » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:02 pm

The regular pickup spacing of a Fender jazz body ('60s or '70s) may make it a bit of a problem for me if I try to squeeze a p-style pickup between them...might be a little too tight. The spacing on the Scheff is wider between pickups. I may just have to find a P body instead of a J body and go from there. But If an Urge bass were to fall in my lap somehow, I would not necessarily refuse it. [smilie=cool-smiley-031.gif]


Joe Hilgeman
User avatar
jshilgebass
 
Location: El Cajon, CA

Re: Got My Precision

Postby Rhian Batson » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:15 am

Mr. Mom wrote:
jshilgebass wrote:I KNEW IT!!! I just knew that you would think about flipping this P-bass sooner or later! [smilie=fun_84.gif] [smilie=cheeky-smiley-025.gif] My faith in your "Bruce the Flipper" nature has been restored. [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif]

I also knew that your Scheff bass in its present form might possibly be the cause of you wavering on keeping the P-bass. I love that configuration of 2 jazz and 1 precision for pickups...it's starting me thinking about possibly finding a Jazz 5 and getting someone to rout a hole for a P5 pickup. Something like this is almost certain to out-P or out-'Ray any P or 'Ray as you yourself have said (and found out under real-world playing conditions).

I would take that P-bass off your hands, but I already have one that scratches my P-bass itch. Ironically, It's on loan to a good friend of mine...he was using my SUB 5, but I prevailed on him to swap it back. [smilie=smilie_kopf.gif]


Joe Hilgeman


My Scheff is my take on what a P or J should sound like. Both the P and bridge J are closer to the bridge than a Fender. The P is reversed. Bridge pickup is overwound and single coil. All the pickups have a throaty quality to them that, to my ears, sound good in a mix without being muddy. Active electronics with two blends give a TON of different tones. And the amount of useable tones on this thing is surprising, IMO.

Overall it does a J-meets-a-P-meets-a-Ray thing that I like.

I know...I know....Talking about my Scheff in the Fender forum. BUT I did mention "Fender", no? [smilie=fun_84.gif]


Nah man, I'm just joshin' ya. I've owned a couple lakies and they are beautiful instruments - still get bad gas pains for a CAR Lakland hollowbody. BABPer Steve in NM has one. I had a chance to catch up with him at a gig in Madrid NM last year. He let me give it a quick test run before his set and I've never been the same since. I have bad dreams about that bass. Also, I often think about the skyline 44-02 I picked up back in the DP days. That bass flatly kicked major ass - the 24fret bass could go from wicked slap/tap solo bass to fat n' flubby country/dub tones in a flinch. I really liked its onboard active EQ - super flexible. Yanno Joe, there is ONE Urge2 5 string for sale. See the video below [smilie=cool-smiley-031.gif]



You know you want to buy it [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif]
User avatar
Rhian Batson
Bouncer
 
Location: ABQ, NM
Links: Yanno, you live a very short time and then you spend a very long time dead so eat great food, love extra hard, hold on for the ride, and play some bass along the way.

Re: Got My Precision

Postby jshilgebass » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:52 am

Oh. My. Gawd. [smilie=smilie_kopf.gif]

I should have suspected that Mr. Hamm would have the Fender Custom Shop make him an Urge 2 5-string. And now he is willing to sell it! I'm tempted to call the music shop and ask what's the selling price, but I'm almost certain it will be waaaaaayy over my budget.

Unrequited Fender Urge 2 V love...it really sucks. :(



Joe Hilgeman
User avatar
jshilgebass
 
Location: El Cajon, CA

Re: Got My Precision

Postby Mr. Mom » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:36 am

jshilgebass wrote:Oh. My. Gawd. [smilie=smilie_kopf.gif]

I should have suspected that Mr. Hamm would have the Fender Custom Shop make him an Urge 2 5-string. And now he is willing to sell it! I'm tempted to call the music shop and ask what's the selling price, but I'm almost certain it will be waaaaaayy over my budget.

Unrequited Fender Urge 2 V love...it really sucks. :(



Joe Hilgeman


Bass nirvana is just a phone call away!

Do it! Do it! Do it! _bounce_
I don't know and I don't care,
'Cause I don't wear Tonto's underwear.
User avatar
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut
 
Location: Central Ohio

Re: Got My Precision

Postby hmagman » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:44 am

Mr. Mom wrote:
jshilgebass wrote:Oh. My. Gawd. [smilie=smilie_kopf.gif]

I should have suspected that Mr. Hamm would have the Fender Custom Shop make him an Urge 2 5-string. And now he is willing to sell it! I'm tempted to call the music shop and ask what's the selling price, but I'm almost certain it will be waaaaaayy over my budget.

Unrequited Fender Urge 2 V love...it really sucks. :(



Joe Hilgeman


Bass nirvana is just a phone call away!

Do it! Do it! Do it! _bounce_

LOL!
Harry
User avatar
hmagman
 
Location: San Diego, CA

Re: Got My Precision

Postby Rhian Batson » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:22 pm

LOL You guys crack me up! lmao
User avatar
Rhian Batson
Bouncer
 
Location: ABQ, NM
Links: Yanno, you live a very short time and then you spend a very long time dead so eat great food, love extra hard, hold on for the ride, and play some bass along the way.

Previous

Return to FENDER



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron