Got My Precision

Leo got it right.

Re: Got My Precision

Postby Mr. Mom » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:41 am

Chuck B wrote:Undecided on string choice.If you like flats on the Scheff - go for rounds. Do you like rounds on the Scheff...?

I like flats better (DR flats) on the Scheff than my fav rounds (DR Lowrider nickel).

I take it you're saying switch it up? Flats on the Scheff so rounds on the P?
I don't know and I don't care,
'Cause I don't wear Tonto's underwear.
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut

Postby Chuck B » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:59 pm

Mr. Mom wrote:I take it you're saying switch it up? Flats on the Scheff so rounds on the P?

That has been my thought, yes. I don't know much about the Scheff though I've been round in that pit when it came out.
Never had one, even never seen one in person. I'm down to four basses now and got my MiM classic 50ies early last year strung with TI flats.
That has been the first time I loved flats on a bass. Meanwhile I switched to rounds w/ the P. I will wait until I know where the journey goes to with the new band to decide which bass I will mostly play and which kind of strings I will use.
Chuck B

Postby Mr. Mom » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:32 am

Here's a shot and some better light. It's still a little more orangey in person.

Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut

Postby Chuck B » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:59 pm

beautiful. like that finish! [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif]
Chuck B

Postby ghiadub » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:55 pm

Good looking bass right there.
"Play the music, not the instrument"

Ghiadub Trio | Makosa | Campfire Crooners | Videos
ghiadub
Bouncer

Postby Mr. Mom » Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:32 am

Found some old flats in my misc cord bag and stuck them on. I think they're LaBellas> Anyway, this bass is made for flats!

I'm doing an Elvis impersonator gig this Friday and this bass now nails that Jerry-Scheff-with-Elvis tone.
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut

Postby Golem » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:04 pm

Mr. Mom wrote:Found some old flats in my misc cord bag and stuck them on.
I think they're LaBellas> Anyway, this bass is made for flats!

Yup. It's not how flat, it's how old ... thaz what matters. Any
ax will sound great with old flats. To me, a great bass is one
that even sounds decent with brand new steel rat tails. Then
you cut those off and put the old flats on it, just for a little
visit to bass nirvana. I got a number of basses wearing flats
that are quite a bit older than the basses theyselves.

ALL basses are made for flats. Some peeps put RW on them
but there's no law against it so it happens .....

New basses are red. Used basses are black.
- - ---- -- - --- - - - --- - ---- -- - - --- - -- - -

In a perfect world
At the end of the day
Tomorrow never comes.
Golem

Postby Mr. Mom » Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:05 am

You see, I've got this problem. In a way it's a good problem. No really, it is!

I've got my #1 (That Scheff I messed with. See the pic earlier in the thread.) that just gets allllll the playing time. Quite frankly, for me, it "out P's" ( [smilie=coz.gif] ) the new Precision I just got. It also "out 'Ray-ed" my USA SUB I just sold. It's really quite the bass. IMO, of course.

So I'm in this crazy, fun, yet aggravating process of trying to get a second bass that both sounds as good as my Scheff, but not like my Scheff. Make sense?? Its' quite the conundrum. And quite fun!! [smilie=cheeky-smiley-025.gif]

What's my point? Here's my point: Anybody want a nice, light, aggressive Precision??

I need help.
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut

Postby jshilgebass » Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:53 pm

I KNEW IT!!! I just knew that you would think about flipping this P-bass sooner or later! [smilie=fun_84.gif] [smilie=cheeky-smiley-025.gif] My faith in your "Bruce the Flipper" nature has been restored. [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif]

I also knew that your Scheff bass in its present form might possibly be the cause of you wavering on keeping the P-bass. I love that configuration of 2 jazz and 1 precision for pickups...it's starting me thinking about possibly finding a Jazz 5 and getting someone to rout a hole for a P5 pickup. Something like this is almost certain to out-P or out-'Ray any P or 'Ray as you yourself have said (and found out under real-world playing conditions).

I would take that P-bass off your hands, but I already have one that scratches my P-bass itch. Ironically, It's on loan to a good friend of mine...he was using my SUB 5, but I prevailed on him to swap it back. [smilie=smilie_kopf.gif]

Joe Hilgeman
Last edited by jshilgebass on Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jshilgebass

Postby Freddels » Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:23 pm

jshilgebass wrote:I KNEW IT!!! I just knew that you would think about flipping this P-bass sooner or later! [smilie=fun_84.gif] [smilie=cheeky-smiley-025.gif] My faith in your "Bruce the Flipper" nature has been restored. [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif]

I also knew that your Scheff bass in its present form might possibly be the cause of you wavering on keeping the P-bass. I love that configuration of 2 jazz and 1 precision for pickups...it's starting me thinking about possibly finding a Jazz 5 and getting someone to rout a hole for a P5 pickup. Something like this is almost certain to out-P or out-'Ray any P or 'Ray as you yourself have said (and found out under real-world playing conditions).

I would take that P-bass off our hands, but I already have one that scratches my P-bass itch. Ironically, It's on loan to a good friend of mine...he was using my SUB 5, but I prevailed on him to swap it back. [smilie=smilie_kopf.gif]

Joe Hilgeman

If you were thinking about a jazz 5 to do that, I would give a lot of thought to the new Carvin PB5 and then add a neck j pickup (if that's what you'd really want to do).
|| Aguilar Tonehammer 500, Ampeg 7 Pro, Markbass CMD102P, GK 800RB||
Freddels

Postby Mr. Mom » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:08 pm

I don't know if it's still there, but the Columbus GC had a used three pickup Fender P bass. It was on their site last time I checked their used inventory.
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut

Postby Rhian Batson » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:25 am

Mr. Mom wrote:I don't know if it's still there, but the Columbus GC had a used three pickup Fender P bass. It was on their site last time I checked their used inventory.

A Fender Urge 2 might be something to look at. [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif]
Rhian Batson
Bouncer

Links: Yanno, you live a very short time and then you spend a very long time dead so eat great food, love extra hard, hold on for the ride, and play some bass along the way.

Postby Mr. Mom » Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:27 am

Kebo's got a PRS bass on his site. Those things are the sh@t.
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut

Postby Rhian Batson » Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:56 am

Mr. Mom wrote:Kebo's got a PRS bass on his site. Those things are the sh@t.

Pfffttt, don't come in here and pollute the Fender sphere with your blasphemous PRS talk!! [smilie=grinning-smiley-044.gif] Joking aside, I don't find them to be musical instruments but if that's what the itch needs, I say pull the trigger and scratch.

[smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif]
Rhian Batson
Bouncer

Links: Yanno, you live a very short time and then you spend a very long time dead so eat great food, love extra hard, hold on for the ride, and play some bass along the way.

Postby Mr. Mom » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:17 am

Oops! Sorry! Forgot what forum I was in!

The three pickup versions are great basses. Had one many moons ago and it was a tone monster.

Back to our regularly scheduled program.
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut

PreviousNext

Return to FENDER