Scheming.

Leo got it right.

Scheming.

Postby Mr. Mom » Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:03 pm

Soooo....I go the Columbus Guitard show. It sucked. Crap for basses. No, not crap. Shit. Shit for basses.

I stop on the way home at the local Guitard Center. Checking out the used gear and see a USA Fender J with a USA P neck. Nice looking burst. Quarter Pounder pickups. S1 switch, but it's wired so when it's engaged it soloes the bridge pickup. Little too much relief, but seems to be plenty of room for strings to be lowered. VERY nice sounding bass and I'm not really J guy.

Then I look over and see a nice matching burst/rosewood (J was also burst/rosewood) P bass. USA. Seems to be stock. Same kinda action and damned if it ALSO doesn't sound great. P bass thump, growl and smoothness all in one. It's screaming flats.

J bass is $899. P is $849.

Here's the scheming part. What would be a good price for me to offer for both basses? I already inquired and they said $1,720. I don't think there are cases. So let's assume no cases. IMO that's a little high. But I'm no expert on prices. I defer to more knowledgeable folks than I on these matters.
I don't know and I don't care,
'Cause I don't wear Tonto's underwear.
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut

Re: Scheming.

Postby bigfatbass » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:58 pm

years?
"Time Is the river, eternity is the ocean, music is the water.
Play what you hear, hear what you play.
Trust your ears, serve your soul." ~Philip Toshio Sudo "Zen Guitar"

Viva Los Blancos!
http://www.casablancos.com
bigfatbass
Road Dog

Links: http://www.casablancos.com

Postby Rhian Batson » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:29 pm

If you're considering buying both basses (as any true bass whore should) I think dropping the cost by at least the cost of two cases is a good start. Averaging three Fender case prices between ebay and MF, that's $136 per case, so $272.00 off the top. You can play that either way - yanno, money off or free HSC's added to the deal.

That puts the cost at $1476 which is starting to look a lot better to me considering you'll need to buy cases. That or your're getting some HSC's thrown in to sweeten the deal.

Their number $1720 is only $28 bucks off the top which is just over 1.5% off which is total crap IMHO - almost insulting. If it were me, I'd look to get 10% off $1476. That way you're covering your 5.75% state sales tax and getting a good guy discount of 4.25% off on top of that, plus free HSC's.

So that will put you at around $1329 or just round up to an even $1,330 for both as-is. These guys are not losing any money. I would think they bought these at around 48-50% of their quoted market value, so that means they had less than $910 bucks in them (possibly even less in a trade bait situation). They're still making a good profit of around $420 bucks on the transaction which is still definitely worth their time IMO for a used instrument. You're also helping them to turn inventory [smilie=cheeky-smiley-025.gif]

If they're stuck on sheister margin targets and are looking for an impulsive sucker, I'd walk away (which I have done more than once). Again, these numbers are based off their price, which I am assuming is based off a buy in at 48-50% of market. Best of luck to you [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif]
Rhian Batson
Bouncer

Links: Yanno, you live a very short time and then you spend a very long time dead so eat great food, love extra hard, hold on for the ride, and play some bass along the way.

Postby GonzoBass » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:35 am

Nicely done, Rhian.
Very nicely done.
[smilie=cool-smiley-031.gif]
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Aloha-
Papa Gonzo
GonzoBass
Global Bouncer

Links: .
Tools:
Steinberger XP2 Workhorse (DB Bridge)
Steinberger XP2 (B-E-A-D)
Steinberger XP2A (Back Up)
Wilkat GonzoBass #001
Fender Deluxe 24 Fret Jazz
EBMM Stingray Natural/Maple
Xavier Custom 6 String
Ibanez AEB10K Acoustic
Dean Rhapsody 8 String
Carvin BK2A Fretless
Gibson EB3 (Project)
Epiphone Newport EBS
Synsonic Half Scale
Fender Mandolin
A couple Flea Ukuleles
and a few guitars...

Rigs:
Small-
GK MB112 combo
Medium-
GK MB500
GK 2x10 Neo
Large-
GK 1001 Mark II 2x10 combo
GK 1x15 RBS

Effects:
Line 6 Bass POD XT Live
BBE 462 Sonic Maximizer

Postby Golem » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:09 am

`

The actual scheming going on here is that Bruce could
buy two nearly identical looking basses simultaneously
which might allow him to sneak them into the house if
he never lets anyone [including the dog] see both of
them at the same time.

Acoarst, it clearly would help if the dollars showing on
the Visa bill look low enuf to really be just one bass ...

`
Last edited by Golem on Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

New basses are red. Used basses are black.
- - ---- -- - --- - - - --- - ---- -- - - --- - -- - -

In a perfect world
At the end of the day
Tomorrow never comes.
Golem

Postby Mr. Mom » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:12 pm

G pretty hit the nail on the head. Two basses for the price of one? Sweet!

But I passed one the basses and bought me a really nice brand spankin' L2k locally instead. VERY happy with the L2k.

And surprisingly, I was in the ballpark that Rhian quoted! Usually I'm pretty far off and am the world's worst haggler. But this time I stuck to my guns and didn't let my GAS get the best of me.

Rhian Batson wrote:If you're considering buying both basses (as any true bass whore should) I think dropping the cost by at least the cost of two cases is a good start. Averaging three Fender case prices between ebay and MF, that's $136 per case, so $272.00 off the top. You can play that either way - yanno, money off or free HSC's added to the deal.

That puts the cost at $1476 which is starting to look a lot better to me considering you'll need to buy cases. That or your're getting some HSC's thrown in to sweeten the deal.

Their number $1720 is only $28 bucks off the top which is just over 1.5% off which is total crap IMHO - almost insulting. If it were me, I'd look to get 10% off $1476. That way you're covering your 5.75% state sales tax and getting a good guy discount of 4.25% off on top of that, plus free HSC's.

So that will put you at around $1329 or just round up to an even $1,330 for both as-is. These guys are not losing any money. I would think they bought these at around 48-50% of their quoted market value, so that means they had less than $910 bucks in them (possibly even less in a trade bait situation). They're still making a good profit of around $420 bucks on the transaction which is still definitely worth their time IMO for a used instrument. You're also helping them to turn inventory [smilie=cheeky-smiley-025.gif]

If they're stuck on sheister margin targets and are looking for an impulsive sucker, I'd walk away (which I have done more than once). Again, these numbers are based off their price, which I am assuming is based off a buy in at 48-50% of market. Best of luck to you [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif]
I don't know and I don't care,
'Cause I don't wear Tonto's underwear.
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut

Return to FENDER