Vintage

Leo got it right.

Re: Vintage

Postby godofthunder » Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:44 am

Acoustic and EB3s, very Jim Lea !
godofthunder

Postby Tornadobass » Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:25 pm

I've had this bass since about 1977, when I bought it used in Oakland, Calif., complete with a tolex case with the orange fuzz inside. The neck is dated '72, the pots '74. (Looks like I shoulda cleaned the chrome before taking the pic.)

The amp behind it is a '71 Bassman Ten that I restored last year with new caps, new speakers, new grillcloth, new tubes. It now wears a Fender tail-style logo.

IMG_0607_2.jpg
Tornadobass

Postby nolabass » Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:33 pm

Nice Tornado. Here's a bad pic of my 73'. I replaced the pups but re-installed them before selling.....for $700... in 1999. I always loved the black binding Jazz.
~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

"Everything Is Oaks & Herbs, My Nerbs" Dr. John
nolabass
Global Bouncer

Postby Tornadobass » Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:49 pm

Did yours come with the thumbrest below the strings? Mine was drilled for mounting above the strings. Between all the chrome and the thumbrest, there's almost no way to reach the strings [smilie=smilie_kopf.gif]
Tornadobass

Postby harleyyy » Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:54 pm

Tornadobass wrote:Did yours come with the thumbrest below the strings? Mine was drilled for mounting above the strings. Between all the chrome and the thumbrest, there's almost no way to reach the strings [smilie=smilie_kopf.gif]

The thumbrest moved to the 'E' side on P's and J's in 74.
"I try to keep 'Thou shalt not kill.' The rest of them I'm kind of shaky on." Willie Nelson
"Forget The Drama, Shut Up And Play." ME

Mr Meanor on Facebook
harleyyy
Host Of Your Forum

Links: http://badassbassplayers.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/BadAssBassPlayerscom
https://www.facebook.com/MrMeanorBand
http://wwwwww.tonewavetech.com

Postby steveonbass » Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:57 pm

Some hollowbody goodness (the Harmony belongs to drbassman now)
77 Bird
vintage straps
Vintage "other"
peace
-steve
myspace
steveonbass
Bouncer

Postby eb2 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:05 pm

Here is an old polaroid scan of my 62 Bass VI with the strat pups and the early switch plate. Sold it years ago, but it was nice and clean.
Attachments
62bassvi.jpg
eb2

Postby 69'Vette » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:23 pm

My '78 P. This one I've had longer than any others, having bought it in 1986.

I got this '66 refin from Kebo. It was the best thumpy 60's P I ever heard, but I just couldn't warm to the C neck and it was too expensive to keep as a wall hanger. One of these days I want to build an A neck clone of it (or find a B).
69'Vette

Postby groovyw53 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:05 am

Wow that '78 P looks awesome. Blonde, tort guard, maple board, I'm drooling.
What pickups do you have in it?

Luca
"Going to the jungle where the elephant roams
Got to get away gonna make it my home"
groovyw53

Postby 69'Vette » Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:03 am

groovyw53 wrote:Wow that '78 P looks awesome. Blonde, tort guard, maple board, I'm drooling.
What pickups do you have in it?

Luca

Thanks! They're EMGs from 1989. I still have the original pickups (which both sport 1978 markings on the back). I really love how it sounds with the EMGs though. It's the only EMG equipped bass I've ever owned, and it's nothing like the descriptions I usually hear about them (sterile, generic sounding, etc). It still has the same tone and character as it did originally, but cleaner and everything just sounds 'more there', if that makes any sense...

The color was already fading (darkening?) to cream when I bought it. It's a really great sounding P, even if it is a bit heavy at close to 11 pounds. My shoulder complains when I play it, but nobody else ever does! It plays like a dream with a very comfortable A neck. I'll never sell it, as it's already reserved for my three year old son. :)
69'Vette

Postby nolabass » Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:33 am

69'Vette wrote: Thanks! They're EMGs from 1989. I still have the original pickups (which both sport 1978 markings on the back). I really love how it sounds with the EMGs though. It's the only EMG equipped bass I've ever owned, and it's nothing like the descriptions I usually hear about them (sterile, generic sounding, etc). It still has the same tone and character as it did originally, but cleaner and everything just sounds 'more there', if that makes any sense...

I have very old passive EMG in my '66. I too don't care for EMGs but these sound great and work really well with the P. I dropped some period correct pups in the
bass but very quickly put the EMGs back in. My bass though only weighs 7.6 lbs and likes the exta bottom of the EMGs.
~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

"Everything Is Oaks & Herbs, My Nerbs" Dr. John
nolabass
Global Bouncer

Postby ASATMAN » Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:28 am

Marilyn: Nov '51 body, Nov, '55 neck.
Dan
Attachments
IM002197.JPG
ASATMAN

Postby ASATMAN » Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:31 am

Marilyn, back view. [smilie=cool-smiley-027.gif]
Dan
Attachments
IM002199.JPG
ASATMAN

Postby andrew » Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:14 pm

My recently aquired '73 P-Bass. Lightweight, resonant, "B" neck, and sounds killer. Beat to hell but I dig that it is.

andrew

Postby andrew » Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:20 pm

harleyyy wrote:It's refreshing to see that lefty's can enjoy the vintage goodness also. What's the deal on the different decals?

Because Fender didn't make lefty decals, in order to accommodate the headstock shape lefty basses only got the "Fender" part of the logo during the big headstock logo era, and when Fender changed the headstock decal it became small enough to fit the whole thing in the backwards direction on a lefty headstock (albeit awkwardly).
andrew

PreviousNext

Return to FENDER