Greg Bennett .... welcome to the Dark Side ...

Greg Bennett .... welcome to the Dark Side ...

Postby 57RIP » Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:29 am

a work in progress for sure. I'm fabbing a trim ring / thumb rest to match the slightly arched top and to raise the pickup about 3/16ths closer to the strings - not too mention hiding the dog ears from the old MM bucker. Gotta do something about those two extra holes. Hmmm... maybe another DS - so far - well it sounds really good although the sensitivity is way off due to the excessive string to pole distance. Tonally it's a big step up though ... kind of a fun summer time project.

So far I've
. pulled out the music man humbucker and Duncan 2 - band pre w/coil blend
. played Mr Happy Router on the cavity
. copper foil shielded the pickup cavity
. star grounded the bridge and foil and controls
. replaced the leads on the DS with Mogami shielded cable

next steps
. foil shield the interior of the control cavity - maybe - not 100% sure how far I can get doing that. Maybe paint ...
. fab the surround / thumb rest out of clear pine, stained black
. decide on second DS and / or decide what to do about those holes
. think about having a luthier re-do the surround in Rosewood after I've suffered through the initial shaping.
Last edited by 57RIP on Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I used to look at my dog Smokey and think, "If you were a little smarter, you could tell me what you're thinking," and he'd look back at me like he was saying, "If you were a little smarter, I wouldn't have to." - Fred Jungclaus
57RIP

Re: Greg Bennett .... welcome to the Dark Side ...

Postby ghiadub » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:04 pm

Sounds like fun Mal. I sure miss my Ibby darkstar, that was the best sounding DS I have heard.
IMO DS's sound best in a hollowbody.
"Play the music, not the instrument"

Ghiadub Trio | Makosa | Campfire Crooners | Videos
ghiadub
Bouncer

Postby Tornadobass » Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:23 pm

Glad to see the Greg Bennett is become a fun project! Keep us posted on the progress.
Tornadobass

Postby 57RIP » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:35 pm

Dan! - I'm glad to see that you survived the floods over there. You went dark for a while there ...
I used to look at my dog Smokey and think, "If you were a little smarter, you could tell me what you're thinking," and he'd look back at me like he was saying, "If you were a little smarter, I wouldn't have to." - Fred Jungclaus
57RIP

Postby Tornadobass » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:09 pm

Actually, our house took on a foot of water from the flood on about Friday, June 13. We've been staying with a family since the 12th. We move to a rental next week.

My bass gear went to a friend's basement a few days before the water arrived, so it's all okay, but I'm thinking of selling off a few pieces that won't be seeing much use for awhile.

My building on campus had about 5' in the basement, so that's closed, too. Close to $300 million of damage on campus, plus more to my community.

I've attached a photo showing my temporary waterfront property.
Attachments
IMG_0494.jpg
Tornadobass

Postby 57RIP » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:45 pm

OK - that's a problem... Glad you, the family and the gear are OK. Good news on the rental. Nice to have folks to help, nice to be able to leave them in peace too. Good luck with the rebuild.
57RIP

Postby 57RIP » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:46 pm

not a lot of progress so I farmed the pickup surround out to Pete Biltoft at Vintage Vibe. We're going with pickguard material or other plastic and compressable foam to start. that will let me play with the angle and height. Once dialed he can replicate it in black acryllic or Rosewood or sumpin' heck after seeing his shop I could probably spec Aluminum billet - which might look pretty cool actually .. hmmm...

Electronics are ready to rock. Vol, Treble cut, bass cut, Vari Tone. To start, the Varitone is going last. I'll flip it to first after some samples. I'm kinda psyched about this one.
57RIP

Postby Tornadobass » Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:59 am

Glad you're having fun putting together some great ideas for this bass. Can you explain what you're doing now? Are you adding a pickguard or making a custom pickup ring?

I like the G&L style tone controls...that's what you're doing, right?
Tornadobass

Postby 57RIP » Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:58 pm

That is exactly what I was doing. Treble cut, Bass cut with the addition of a HAS Varitone ... so far I have to say that it sounds better as Vol /Tone. I double checked my wiring against the harness from my L2500 and instructions from Brother Baker and my conclusion is that the L circuit works with MFD's but values would need to change for a Dark Star. Actually the Treble cut works fine but the Bass cut has a very subtle impact at best.

So far the HAS Varitone is a complete bust. It is really meant as a replacement for a standard Fender tone control though. So my next experiment will be just that - replace the tone control and see... I'll be working on that bass for some time to come I expect ... I could just quite while I'm ahead as well - it sounds fine as Vol/Tone and it's fun to play - it's just those two extra holes are going to bug me man ...

I got Pete Biltoft at Vintage Vibe to fabricate some trim rings for me - I love that guy... I am so spoiled ... I talked to him Saturday when I picked up the trim rings. I asked him about doing a split coil J pickup and what that might be like. We also talked about replacing the mini-humbucker in the neck position of my Tele with some thing a little less aggressive and a bit mellower. Today I get an email saying that I can pickup the evaluation unit of his first split coil J and that a Charlie Christian style pickup in mini-humbuckler format is ready for me ... this while the guy is complaining of working too hard in his retirement ... Yep, I'm spoiled ...
57RIP

Return to HOLLOWBODY