Most unusual hollow body bass

Most unusual hollow body bass

Postby drbassman » Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:23 pm

OK, who has the most unusual hollowbody bass? I think I have a most unusual one, a Gibson EB-650 from 1992. No one knows for sure how many were made and we think they only lasted 2 years or so. It's a 34" scale with chrome T-Bird pups.

I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in......
drbassman

Postby Bart! » Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:38 am

OK, with all of you out there, this seems allmost not as unusual as it is; my Gibson Les Paul signature. Apparently 600+, made between `73 and `79.
Bart!

Postby drbassman » Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:02 am

That's a cool bass too Bart. And yes, they are more rare then the EB-2s and other HB basses floating around out there! I just picked one up a couple months ago and I love it. The neck on the LP Sig is a bit thicker than my EB-650. It has a nice slim neck and plays very easy, as does the Sig. Nice looking bass!!
drbassman

Postby noahvale » Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:21 am

According to this article, 627 where made:

noahvale
Bad Ass Admin

Links: http://ammons.org

Postby drbassman » Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:50 am

Thanks for the article Noah. So, do you interpret 627 basses as a few in the overall scheme of things or a lot? It sounds pretty limited to me
drbassman

Postby Templar » Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:22 pm

Not vintage, or out of production or anything, but kinda uncommon I guess. Pretty big sound in a lightweight package. Spectorcore 4 semi

Last edited by Templar on Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Templar
Bad Ass Leather Sniffer

Postby noahvale » Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:25 pm

627 is very few. They are awesome instruments that just came out at the wrong time in history. It's great that Jack Casady got them noticed again.
noahvale
Bad Ass Admin

Links: http://ammons.org

Postby Bart! » Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:46 am

drbassman wrote:That's a cool bass too Bart. Nice looking bass!!

Thanks! About the 650, I seem to recall they were in either the red or in a blue finish. Correct?
Bart!

Postby drbassman » Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:22 am

Yep, I had heard they came in red or blue transparent finishes. I've only see one blue one in a picture. Seems some country player/singer used one. Art Greenhaw. He has a web site ifin yer interested!

drbassman

Postby drbassman » Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:35 am

Templar wrote:Not vintage, or out of production or anything, but kinda uncommon I guess. Pretty big sound in a lightweight package. Spectorcore 4 semi

Hey Templar, I've always thought those Spectorcore basses were nice looking. The most modern looking bass I own is a new T-Bird, but I've been tempted a couple times to grab one of these of eBay. I'd love to see one in black or red. Can you get these with a maple board? Does this one neck dive?

The other HB bass that I find attractive is the ASAT (love that tele body shape) but they are real neck divers.
drbassman

Postby Templar » Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:09 pm

"Can you get these with a maple board? Does this one neck dive?"

I don't think maple boards are an option.

Not a neck diver, despite the fact that it weighs 7lbs, 7oz. The upper strap pin is at the 13th fret, which keeps things fairly well balanced.
Templar
Bad Ass Leather Sniffer

Postby drbassman » Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:55 pm

Yeah, I checked their web site, no maple but a reasonable $899 MSRP.
drbassman

Postby DaveyG67 » Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:09 am

Well, pretty rare & unusual... My Azola Nouveau #02 (#01 was the prototype). I bought this from the man himself, Steve Azola, at the winter NAMM 2002.
DaveyG67
Sacto Ho

Postby Pilgrim » Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:03 pm

Just joined at the invitation of the Hon. Dr Bassman, and I really enjoy the pictures of the basses in this thread. There are some super instruments shown! I thought I'd show off my 1960's Univox 335-copy bass. This was acquired from the estate of a gent in Laramie, WY after his death. He evidently just played it at home, and it came with the original hard-shell Victoria Luggage Co. case with yellow velour lining. After having a tech level the frets (one was high, causing a 4th fret buzz) it's a very nice playing bass. The 'burst has no sun fade at all, and the colors are brilliant. The wood is also quite nice. the the instrument is scratch-free. A replacement pickguard is in the works, made from a tracing of a matching Univox bass.
Last edited by Pilgrim on Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
- '63 Fender P
- Midnight blue MIM J
- OLP M22, Metallic Blue
- P/J fretless
- Epiphone EB-0
- Univox 335-copy hollowbody
- Rogue VB-100 Violin Bass
- Turser JTB-401 '53 P replica
- Applause AE-40 ABG
Pilgrim

Postby drbassman » Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:27 pm

Welcome AL, great to have you here! your bass is a real beauty. Some folks like to bad-mouth Univox basses, but yours is in fantastic condition and a good example of Japanese craftsmanship that only got better over time. Hey, if it's hollow, it's gotta be fun to play!
drbassman

Next

Return to HOLLOWBODY