Hofner Icon Club

Hofner Icon Club

Postby Johnny Alien » Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:27 pm

I was going to the bump the H-22 thread that mentioned this but then decided to start a new thread instead.

What went on with the Icon Club bass. I see all over the internet for the past year that they were "coming out next month"

Did they bag plans?
Johnny Alien

Re: Hofner Icon Club

Postby nolabass » Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:38 pm

Heh... I don't know but if they price a new bass more than a vintage bass would cost they will have about the same success as the H22 is enjoying. [smilie=tosser.gif]
~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

"Everything Is Oaks & Herbs, My Nerbs" Dr. John
nolabass
Global Bouncer

Postby Johnny Alien » Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:30 pm

True.

I doubt that would happen as the Contemporary series is already below the cost of a vintage Club :)

I just picked up a Contemporary Club and am waiting for it to get to me which is what got me to thinking about this.

It's the bass that's been "coming next month" forever now.
Johnny Alien

Postby Johnny Alien » Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:05 pm

Not alot of activity here in the Holowbody forum. Thought I would post a photo of my newly acquired Contemporary Club. still would love to see an Icon version.

Johnny Alien

Postby Sloom » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:37 am

That's a cool looking bass. How does it sound? Like a Hofner, I imagine?
"Whatever we do, it is what it is, and we do it".
-The Grubs.

Tad Lackluster's Soundcloud
Sloom

Links: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Novera ... 7439378..1

Postby Dr. Greenthumb » Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:53 am

Nice looking, [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif]

As part of a trade deal, I just picked up a brand new Contemporary Series H500/1 Violin Bass. I also had the guy put on the Hofner Flat wounds on it.
Wow, I cannot beleive the thumping bass that comes out of this little thing. EQ'd just right, it sounds like an upright bass with the flats on it.
Never had a Hofner, was always curious, now I luv that little thing. I must say also that it seems to be constructed and finished really well for being an "import" Hofner, all tho if u think about it, they are all imports to us. [smilie=cool-smiley-031.gif]

Mike
Mike
What if the Hokey- Pokey REALLY IS what it's all about?
Dr. Greenthumb

Postby Sloom » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:53 pm

I wonder how much better sounding the real Hofner is than the knock-off?
-The Grubs.

Sloom

Postby Sloom » Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:57 am

Well I don't know the difference really between this and the "real" one, but I now have a Hofner Icon B-Bass. It's brand new to me, but I like it! I've got it relatively well-intoned (good as it gets with the old-school bridge), and it feels good to play. Silly-light, and almost too easy to play! But it sounds great even with the rounds on it- of course you have to like what it does. It's not a P-Bass! But it sounds cool delivering that punchy deep Thump, and looks cool. [smilie=cool-smiley-031.gif]

I did have to return the first one, as there was a 'dip' in the top of the body at the bridge. It seems the bracing had let go under the bridge on the treble-side and the string-tension was forcing it down into the body. It looked like trouble, so I brought it back for the sales rep to deal with. Now this newer one has some minor issues: there's a rattling somewhere in the trapeze tailpiece when I play, but once I find it I can stop that alright. I also think the tailpiece is ever so slightly misaligned off-center to the nut... the bridge pickup pole-pieces are noticeably out of line with the strings. Not so awful, but you can see it when you look for it. I can fix it or have it fixed at a friend's wood shop, or maybe I'll return this one too- but I like it and maybe it's worth a bit of effort to make it right. I've got some skills, and don't mind the opportunity to get intimately acquainted with my instruments.

Another issue: The neck has a 'bump' in it up near the heel-block. Sighting down the fretboard there is a nice easy bow in the neck, which I got with a truss-rod adjustment. But there is a distinct interruption in the bow about 2/3rds down and it's the kind of thing that will cause string/fret buzz. Fix: Raise the action. Seems to be enough to solve the problem! Not as if it's now difficult to play.

So far it's a cheaply-made but real cool add-on to the quiver. It will likely prove good to have for image-sake, as we're a working band and do well to have some 'trappings' in our show, like some of this cool-looking, stuff-you-expect-to-see business. And it sounds great! I still have the option to bring it back and exchange, the shop-owner is being very workable with it all and giving me a lot of room to get satisfaction from the deal.

Another plus is that I think it's good for me to have different scale-length instruments to play. I have had minor trouble in the past with "Tennis Elbow" and related stuff, so some variety in mechanical hand operation/muscle use is probably a good thing. So I'm giving it the full mile here.

I understand that Paul McCartney's bass was a cheap affair, and that it's pretty remarkable it remained in good shape and playable for as long as it did. Pays to have the case, I guess! I'm going to bring it to an outdoor festival in Fall River MA tomorrow to play with my reggae band. It's going into the SM400, Bag End S15-D and an Avatar B-212. PA support- yay! A rare occurrence.

Here 'tis, a lousy pic but you know what it is anyhow: Image
-The Grubs.

Sloom

Postby Freddels » Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:20 am

Sloom wrote:That's a cool looking bass. How does it sound? Like a Hofner, I imagine?

Sounds pretty darn good.

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com
|| Aguilar Tonehammer 500, Ampeg 7 Pro, Markbass CMD102P, GK 800RB||
Freddels

Postby andrew » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:09 am

Isn't the Icon Club Bass out now?
andrew

Return to HOLLOWBODY