30" Scale length pros and cons ??

Re: 30" Scale length pros and cons ??

Postby nolabass » Sat May 16, 2009 11:14 am

Welcome to BABPs!

Short scale can be small hand friendly. If someone does not have big hands or long fingers a short scale neck can be more comfy. Short scales tend to have good punch/thump but less sustain. Bottom end is good on the short scales I have and the top end is smoother and less bright.

Switching between 36", 34" and 30" scale basses messes with my tactile sense though. It's harder for me to find that "out of body" type playing when I am concentrating on finger placement. I have biggish hands and play 34" C Neck P basses the most.

There's also a nice "HIP" factor to the right short scale basses.

Short scale electrics would include SG, Dano, Kay, Mustang...... there are a ton of cool hollowbody short scales. [smilie=cool-smiley-031.gif]
~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

"Everything Is Oaks & Herbs, My Nerbs" Dr. John
nolabass
Global Bouncer

Postby MickeyOne » Sat May 16, 2009 9:59 pm

Biggest downside to shortscales is that they are much less common than 34 inch basses.

This is a tremendous GAS killer!
MickeyOne

Postby throckmorten » Sun May 17, 2009 6:22 am

They can also be addicting in their way. I got a cheap little Gretsch short scale a couple years ago and wouldn't part with it. They're just fun to play. You can be all over the neck. And imagine picking up a bass and not worrying about jaming the headstock against every near-by object.

There are not as many string options, or maybe I should say there are plenty of options (flats, wounds, half rounds, nylon wrap, etc, etc) but not from as many manufactures. So that really isn't an issue.

Can't say I'm a convert but I can see why some guys stick with them.

I haven't played a hollowbody short scale. Strictly speaking, the Mouse is chambered, do a YouTube search and you'll find a pretty nice video of a guy playing one.

If you get a chance to play some, let us know what you think.
EGAD!
throckmorten

Postby SpankyAndy2 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:17 pm

I always thought short scale was for kids, women or girly-men (joking), but I recently bought a Gibson SG bass and love it and have recently tried several Hofners, German and Chinese.

Everything NolaBass said about the sound is spot on.

Last week I spent over an hour playing a V62 RI Hofner 500/1 Violin bass (Sir Paul model) and was absolutely stunned at the tone and punch - no sustain, but total fundamental tone heaven. Man, that thing put the biggest grin on my face and has given me major G.A.S.! It weighed absolutely nothing too. I was never interested in the violin body shape, but the tone and playability has sold me big time.

I am in the middle of paying off 2 x 35" scale Euro Spector basses (a 4 & a 5 string) and never thought I would seriously want to own a hollow body 30" instrument, but am now planning on selling a bunch of gear to fund a Hofner or similar bass. Eastwood also make a bunch of vintagey 30" scale basses, including a Gretsch-alike Classic 4, which Ed Friedland demonstrates wonderfully on YouTube. Ed liked the bass so much, he bought the review instrument rather than have to part with it: Ed's Classic 4 hollow body

Cheers

ANdy
SpankyAndy2

Postby Happy Face » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:45 am

Short scales are not great for drop D tuning. The string gets a little flabby. Otherwise, why not?
Happy Face

Return to HOLLOWBODY