Godin Acoustibass received

Godin Acoustibass received

Postby Rich M » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:57 pm

I just received an older Godin Acoustibass that was advertised as NOS. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=110150074443&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=001

It is in perfect unplayed condition except for the control cavity under the preamp. When I was taking it off, I noticed two of the screws were stripped and then I could see that they were actually torn due to the fact the holes were placed so close to the edge of the control cavity. I expected to find two batteries because I was under the impression that these basses were all 18v.

I think this is an older model Acoustibass because it has the funky Grover tuners and no access panel on the rear.

Pics:

I like the headstock shape

Very nice ‘burst finish; looks great next to my ’71 P-bass

I had to put it in direct sunlight to show the grain of the mahogany

I thought the look of the preamp would bother me, but it looks better in person than in the pics

Shot of the electronics. The battery wires came loose upon inspection.

Stats:
7 lbs. 11.6 oz. (w/ battery)
1.75” nut
Strings: flatwound (Chromes?)

It plays nice right now with the flats that are on it (no buzzing) so I probably will leave the strings alone for now. As soon as I get the battery wired up, I’ll give a report on how it sounds.
Information is the currency of democracy.
Rich M
Bouncer

Re: Godin Acoustibass received

Postby drbassman » Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:36 am

Nice looking bass! I've been gassing for a Godin for years, but have never pulled the trigger on one. Let us know how she sounds and feels after some playing time.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in......
drbassman

Postby nolabass » Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:39 pm

Yep, I want one some day. All I would want it for is the upright tones but I have read for years not many electrics get as close. Perfect coffee house beatneck bass.
~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

"Everything Is Oaks & Herbs, My Nerbs" Dr. John
nolabass
Global Bouncer

Amateur Repair Job

Postby Rich M » Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:49 pm

Thanks for the comments, guys. I still haven't had much chance to play the bass because I decided to attempt to repair, or at least make functional, the stripped/ripped out screw holes.

Using a combination of my drill and Dremel tool, I carefully removed the wood around the old screw holes to make room for two wood dowels.

Next, I cut the dowels to the right length and glued them in with Gorilla Glue.

Then I re-drilled the holes and added a bit of copper shielding tape to reinforce and cover up the repair.

It’s not a professional job by any means, but it doesn’t look too bad, is covered by the control plate anyway, and at least now the screws are being held by wood again and hopefully won’t get stripped out again as long as I’m careful when changing the battery.

I also called the shop that I bought the bass from and got the owner to refund $50. (Attinas music in GA)

So far, I'm enjoying the upright sounds I can get very much, but I'm wondering if a fretless version might be a better compliment to my stable, since I don't own a fretless yet. The neck feels great, similar to my vintage P-bass necks and the playability is fantastic, nice low action with no buzzing. One of the things that surprised my is how close it can also get to the sound of my old P's, just a bit more open and airy. Other things that I like about it are the weight, how familiar it feels, and the beautiful finish.
Information is the currency of democracy.
Rich M
Bouncer

Postby Rob Francis » Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:17 pm

Nice work and a sweet looking bass.
Could you please also post your fixes in the repairs forum?

Rob
Rob Francis

Postby Fretless Bill » Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:55 pm

I have an Acoustibass that I was told was made in 1991 and it has a cover on the back under the bridge. I was just curious if yours may actually be an A4 ? I don't know alot about these so I may be wrong. I also understand that Godin went from the Acoustibass to the A4 in 1994. There again, I don't know if this info is correct.
Fretless Bill

Postby Tornadobass » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:38 am

Nice collection of pix and an innovative solution for fixing the holes.

I had a natural finish AcoustiBass once upon a time and remember two batteries and a hatch behind the bridge. That was necessary for holding the strings in place until they were up to tension. I also remember the battery wire coming loose the first time I removed the preamp.

Be sure if you change strings to give the ball end a little bend to help them stay more cleanly in the slots underneath the bridge. BTW, I also had two A4 basses over the years, but have permanently given up on them now...just never quite fit what I was playing at the time.
Tornadobass

Return to HOLLOWBODY