Rumblefish thread

Rumblefish thread

Postby Templar » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:28 pm

I know there's a few other fish heads around here.

Templar
Bad Ass Leather Sniffer

Re: Rumblefish thread

Postby drbassman » Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:26 am

Now that they are out of biz, I sure wish I had bought one. Every time I see a picture of one, I realize what a great funky design they were and how it has grown on me!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in......
drbassman

Postby craigb » Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:58 am

Still my favorite. I wish I'd kept one of the many others I've had, but ergonomically my G&Ls are a better fit. I don't like to take this one much of anywhere.
my personal music site: http://www.ninestonering.com/craig
craigb

Postby drbassman » Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:57 am

Yep, that's definitely a keeper to protect. Does it have a hollow body tone to it or is it more akin to a solid body?
drbassman

Postby davelowell » Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:51 am

I had an orange PJ that I traded to get my SVT. Wish I still had that one.
davelowell

Postby Templar » Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:55 pm

Fishes have a distinct semi sound, even if at first glance they might not look like they would.

Surprisingly, weight can vary quite a bit. This one is 7.2 lbs.

Templar
Bad Ass Leather Sniffer

Postby craigb » Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:06 pm

Well there is a lot of wood inside there. I'm not surprised the weight varies.

I think there's a big contribution to the sound from the semi-hollow body.
craigb

Postby Templar » Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:47 pm

The slab of "white mahogany" is pretty much the only weight variable involved. That stuff must vary a lot to result in a 2lb overall weight difference, considering that it does'nt comprise the entire body.

The 2nd gen fishes can be expected to average a tad heavier than the earlier models, as well. The body thickness was increased about 1/8", which prolly means more wood inside.

Templar
Bad Ass Leather Sniffer

Postby Templar » Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:36 pm

drbassman wrote:Now that they are out of biz, I sure wish I had bought one. Every time I see a picture of one, I realize what a great funky design they were and how it has grown on me!

Me too! I wish I had ordered a new custom (got mine used). Reverend had scads of different panel types/colors on hand (despite what they showed on their website as 'choices'), and would build you almost anything from existing stock. I kick myself daily for not ordering an Engine Turned fish!

Brad Houser did a nice job designing his sig fiver...
Templar
Bad Ass Leather Sniffer

Postby craigb » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:19 am

Templar wrote: I kick myself daily for not ordering an Engine Turned fish!

Me too! My bugeye PJ was custom ordered and although bugeye wasn't a listed option any more (this was in the moroccan gold, dragonfly green, etc. era) they offered to build it using any remaining finishes they still had in the shop. Bugeye was always my favorite so that's what I got. Engine turned aluminum was my second favorite but I never reached the point of ordering another. I think it (engine turned aluminum) looks like fish scales and fits my sensibilities to have a Rumblefish kind of look like it's covered in scales.

I also wanted one with the etched flames on (although I remember them as more subtle from other pics they used to have, maybe it's the orange pickguard):

and an engine turned aluminum finish:

craigb

Postby Templar » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:14 am

Years ago there was a minty Engine Turned Brad Houser on the bay for $650 BIN. Auction ran 7 days....no takers. It was relisted immediately for $625....again no takers. What was I thinking?! Right after the auction ended, I woke up and emailed the seller to buy it. Too late, he had traded it in at an Austin music shop.

Since then I've been waiting for a 4-banger Engine to pop up. Been several years now.....nada. Yep, shoulda ordered a new one when I had the chance....idiot.

Templar
Bad Ass Leather Sniffer

Postby craigb » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:14 am

I'm just glad I didn't hold out waiting for a Brad Houser 4-string. I know they never made one. But they should have . . .
craigb

Postby Templar » Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:31 pm

craigb wrote:I'm just glad I didn't hold out waiting for a Brad Houser 4-string. I know they never made one. But they should have . . .

Oh now that would have been THE DOGS BALLS!

Prolly would have taken an Act of God, tho. From what I've read, they went 'round and 'round with Houser over his sig bass. He wanted it exactly how he wanted it, without compromise.

He got it that way in the end, but I get the impression that the process was'nt a love affair for either party.
Templar
Bad Ass Leather Sniffer

Postby drbassman » Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:02 am

Wow, I love the blue one in the previous post higher up in the thread. And a maple board, yikes, I am gassing for one of those!!!
drbassman

Return to HOLLOWBODY