Taylor AB -2

Taylor AB -2

Postby drbassman » Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:20 pm

I've been gassing for one of these for a couple years. Finally got one before they become more of a missing link.

I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in......
drbassman

Re: Taylor AB -2

Postby groovyw53 » Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:23 am

Wow that's awesome, I love the look of Taylors. I've always wanted to try one, but it's basically impossible to find 'em here in Italy.
Also on theTaylor website there's nothing about it and I don't know if Steve Klein now makes basses on his own http://www.kleinguitars.com/artthatsings.htm.

I've seen some great deals on eBay (under 1500$) but I'm not in the market for an acoustic right now.

And since I'm a big Chili Peppers fan, here's a video with Flea playing a Taylor (don't know if that's an AB-1 or AB-2 [smilie=coz.gif] ... I've read somewhere that the main difference between them is the sound).

[youtube][/youtube]
Last edited by groovyw53 on Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Going to the jungle where the elephant roams
Got to get away gonna make it my home"
groovyw53

Postby Mike Childree » Sun Sep 16, 2007 4:05 am

Those things ARE nice. I got one in a trade a few years back, but at the time didn't have a real use for it...it was more of a novelty. Love to find one now, though...I have gigs were it would be used extensively. The Tacoma I have is a nice bass, but not as refined as the Taylor.
Mike Childree
Bouncer

Postby drbassman » Sun Sep 16, 2007 4:44 am

Yeah, I had a Fender acoustic for a bit but it was not much to write home about. I've flirted with the Tacomas, but have always wanted an AB-2. The AB-1 has a more traditional spruce top, the 2 has Brazillian walnut and will have more projection and a more defined output/tone. I can't remember when, but Taylor discontinued all of the ABs in 2003 or so. They don't say on their website. I love collecting discontinued models so this one will be a keeper for sure!
drbassman

Postby groovyw53 » Sun Sep 16, 2007 6:17 am

Damn, Taylor discontinued the ABs? [smilie=smilie_kopf.gif]
I think I'm gonna get an Ovation in 2009...
groovyw53

Postby drbassman » Sun Sep 16, 2007 5:23 pm

Yep, the ABs are a thing of the past, history! I think a Tacoma or one of the Ovations would be fine if you can't get your hands on a Taylor. The ABs are just so darn big and well constructed, every review I've read says they really put out a great sound for an acoustic bass.
drbassman

Postby aussiemark » Sun Sep 16, 2007 6:07 pm

drbassman wrote:a great sound for an acoustic bass.

Those are the key words
aussiemark

Postby drbassman » Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:30 am

Aussie Mark wrote:
drbassman wrote:a great sound for an acoustic bass.

Those are the key words

You expected something else? [smilie=cool-smiley-031.gif] No acoustic bass can rival an URB for volume, that's just a fact of life and physics. I'll be using this one amplifed when performing, but not for practicing. It will get 'er done, I'm sure.
drbassman

Postby Mike Childree » Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:08 am

I'm finding that my Tacoma does produce a unique tone when amplified...kind of a cross between electric and URB, and it's coming in very handy for me. The tone sits perfectly with two amplified acoustic guitars, where my electric basses tended to stick out in the mix and the URB sometimes didn't have enough midrange and got lost.
Mike Childree
Bouncer

Postby drbassman » Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:29 pm

Mike Childree wrote:I'm finding that my Tacoma does produce a unique tone when amplified...kind of a cross between electric and URB, and it's coming in very handy for me. The tone sits perfectly with two amplified acoustic guitars, where my electric basses tended to stick out in the mix and the URB sometimes didn't have enough midrange and got lost.

Your experience makes sense Mike. I'm hoping mine sounds the same way and fits into the mix with acoutic and amplified acoustic guitars the way you've described.
drbassman

Postby drbassman » Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:26 am

Got the AB-2 yeaterday and what a bass!!! I'll post some pics and a review soon.
drbassman

Postby Pilgrim » Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:38 pm

So where are the pictures, Dr. Bassman???

Been too busy playing to take pix, I bet.....
- '63 Fender P
- Midnight blue MIM J
- OLP M22, Metallic Blue
- P/J fretless
- Epiphone EB-0
- Univox 335-copy hollowbody
- Rogue VB-100 Violin Bass
- Turser JTB-401 '53 P replica
- Applause AE-40 ABG
Pilgrim

Postby drbassman » Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:04 am

[smilie=angry-smiley-005.gif] Well, disaster finally had to befall me after hundreds of good deals, this one is a problem. Early yesterday morning, I found a crack in the top if the bass I couldn't see Friday night under artificial light. It runs from the base of the body up to the bridge. A common problem in acoustic guitars that have been in dry climates without sufficient humidification. I am so pissed I didn't see it Friday night when I unpacked it. Now, the seller isn't answering my emails (of course) and I'm filing complaints with eBay and PayPal if he doesn't reply by tomorrow morning. I had one other similar instance with an EB-2, but I got the seller to refund all of my money and let me return the bass. He was a lying dog if there ever was one. We'll see how it goes with this one.....
drbassman

Postby groovyw53 » Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:52 pm

drbassman wrote: [smilie=angry-smiley-005.gif] Well, disaster finally had to befall me after hundreds of good deals, this one is a problem. Early yesterday morning, I found a crack in the top if the bass I couldn't see Friday night under artificial light. It runs from the base of the body up to the bridge. A common problem in acoustic guitars that have been in dry climates without sufficient humidification. I am so pissed I didn't see it Friday night when I unpacked it. Now, the seller isn't answering my emails (of course) and I'm filing complaints with eBay and PayPal if he doesn't reply by tomorrow morning. I had one other similar instance with an EB-2, but I got the seller to refund all of my money and let me return the bass. He was a lying dog if there ever was one. We'll see how it goes with this one.....

Ouch, that sounds pretty bad. Hope everything turns out in the best way.
groovyw53

Postby Pilgrim » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:53 am

I also hope it turns out OK. Don't go too ballistic if the seller doesn't respond for 48 hours - lots of people travel and don't check email often. I've had a 3-day wait more than once when someone was traveling. But it's hard on the nerves!
- '63 Fender P
- Midnight blue MIM J
- OLP M22, Metallic Blue
- P/J fretless
- Epiphone EB-0
- Univox 335-copy hollowbody
- Rogue VB-100 Violin Bass
- Turser JTB-401 '53 P replica
- Applause AE-40 ABG
Pilgrim

Next

Return to HOLLOWBODY