Taylor AB -2

Re: Taylor AB -2

Postby Pilgrim » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:53 am

I also hope it turns out OK. Don't go too ballistic if the seller doesn't respond for 48 hours - lots of people travel and don't check email often. I've had a 3-day wait more than once when someone was traveling. But it's hard on the nerves!
- '63 Fender P
- Midnight blue MIM J
- OLP M22, Metallic Blue
- P/J fretless
- Epiphone EB-0
- Univox 335-copy hollowbody
- Rogue VB-100 Violin Bass
- Turser JTB-401 '53 P replica
- Applause AE-40 ABG
Pilgrim

Postby drbassman » Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:37 am

Pilgrim wrote:I also hope it turns out OK. Don't go too ballistic if the seller doesn't respond for 48 hours - lots of people travel and don't check email often. I've had a 3-day wait more than once when someone was traveling. But it's hard on the nerves!

Hey Al, you are so right. He was away for the weekend and got back to me Monday morning. We are working on a resolution. After talking with my pro luthier, I decided I'd rather not keep it since I bought it as an investment as well as a playing bass. We'll see how the seller reacts to my wanting to return it. I should have known something was up when he said it had been sitting in his closet for 3 years without being played. Not good for acoustic instruments. They need an pccasional inspection and humidification. This has been a good lesson for me so far, I hope it doesn't turn into a costly one too!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in......
drbassman

Postby Rvl » Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:20 pm

Klein has done some mods to improve the bracing on the Taylor
But I hope it works out with the seller

A Taylor is on my To Buy list

Thanks

Robert
Rvl

Postby drbassman » Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:17 am

Well, I'm still waiting for a refund. If he doesn't come through and PayPal doesn't decide my claim in my favor, I'm just gonna have my professional luthier buddy fix her and chalk it up to a hard lesson. It is a nice bass and it won't kill me to keep it, I really do like it, I just hate getting skinned by dishonest people.
drbassman

Postby Pilgrim » Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:28 pm

Well, what's the worst that could happen? You end up with a very nice bass you've been wanting for a long time - you just overpaid a bit.

If that's the worst thing that happens to you this year, you will be a fortunate guy, indeed!
- '63 Fender P
- Midnight blue MIM J
- OLP M22, Metallic Blue
- P/J fretless
- Epiphone EB-0
- Univox 335-copy hollowbody
- Rogue VB-100 Violin Bass
- Turser JTB-401 '53 P replica
- Applause AE-40 ABG
Pilgrim

Postby drbassman » Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:51 am

Now the fun begins! He's agreed to refund my money, so I sent the bass back yesterday through PayPal's claims process. We'll see if I get my refund after the bass arrives back in Tenessee on Monday. I don't think I'll buy any more acoustic basses without close up pictures in advance!
drbassman

Postby drbassman » Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:41 am

Well, it was painful, but I got a full refund (minus my cost to ship the darn thing back). A good lesson for sure. I now have a set of questions I'll ask before ever buying an acoustic instrument on eBay again:

1. Have you played it recently?
2. Has it been sitting around untouched for a period of time?
3. How's the humidity in your area? (actually, that's easy enough to find out on the web!)
4. Do you SEE ANY signs of dryness or cracking on the top, bottom or sides?

My seller claimed he didn't know about the crack because he hadn't played it in 2-3 years. It's possible, but he should have inspected it better when taking his pictures. The only closeup of the cracked area that he posted in his auction conveniently had a bright reflection from the lights and you couldn't really see the top where the crack was. I still suspect he knew it was there and was hoping the buyer wouldn't notice or care. Oh well, I lost $100 in shipping but retrieved a couple thousand. All in all, a good, if not perfect, ending.
drbassman

Postby Steve in NM » Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:28 pm

OK - reviving this thread and getting back to the original topic- Taylors! I've got a fretless AB-3 (spruce top / flame maple back & sides) that I absolutely love.
I had an AB-2 for a while as well, but traded it to Mike Childree for the infamous Willie Weeks Lakland Dual -J. I've got her strung w/ TI Jazz Flats (well aged) and usually crank the bass all the way and cut the treble most of the way to get a huge fat tone. I don't care that its not an URB - I love its own sound. I don't care that you have to amplify it to play with guitars - I have to amplify all of my other basses too, and I love its own sound. The maple neck is long and slim and that big beautiful body produces a great big thump. I don't take it to my boogie blues gigs - the band leader is going blind and steps on everything on the stage, but my other band's summer patio gig just moved indoors where they want us to play more jazz and the Taylor is perfect for that. Most people think of ABGs as somthing to dink around on or take to the beach, but thats not what the Taylors were ever about. This is a serious high end bass. Unfortunately, at $2K new there wasn't enough market for Taylor to keep making them. Now if I could only grow another 6 " so I don't look so short when I play it ;^)
Steve
Steve in NM

Previous

Return to HOLLOWBODY