Still gassing for an acoustic......

Still gassing for an acoustic......

Postby drbassman » Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:26 pm

Even after my negative experience with the Taylor AB bass, I'm still wanting an acoustic bass. If I go for one, it'll be new to avoid the ebay/used hassles I recently experienced.

What do you guys think. Martin or Tacoma? I found out today I can get the Tacoma in a sunburst finish! Now that would be cool for sure!

I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in......
drbassman

Re: Still gassing for an acoustic......

Postby steveonbass » Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:43 pm

I think the Tacomas get the most volume but they seem to have structural issues - prone to cracks in the top (I've seen a lot of cracked/repaired ones)). The Guild B-50 (or 30?) sounded the best to my ears. I think the Martin is, relatively, overpriced for the sound/usability. I'd search for an old Guild. If you can find an older Washburn for decent $$$, they sound pretty good plugged in too.

I haven't found one that made me think I needed one. And I can be pretty convincing to myself when it comes to gear.
peace
-steve
myspace
steveonbass
Bouncer

Postby drbassman » Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:14 pm

Good point Steve. I just want one becasue, not becasue I actually need one! I agree about the price on the Martin, but the build quality is really nice. I have heard about the problems with the tacomas. It seems to be a bit of a crapshoot on those. I'll have to look around for a Guild to see what they're going for these days.
drbassman

Postby ghiadub » Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:28 pm

I went through this a while back and played everything I could get my hands on.
Taylors, breedlove, martin, tacoma thunderchief, Michael Kelly, Fender, Ovation, and any other brand I could find (no guilds or washburns). The fenders were the most consistantly bad sounding. Even the victor bailey one had no balls.

The thunderchief was the loudest. I found some used going for about 600. I have heard that about the cracks, and one the used ones I played did have a crack.

I ended up going with the second loudest bass that I found. It was an off brand, a sunlite. Made in the USA and only $300.
The pickup is not anything to write home about, but the acoustic volume is loud enough to play bluegrass. The body is HUGE, as big as the tacoma. Makes it kinda hard to play.

That said, I played 4 other sunlites and this one was the only one that had any volume at all. the others sounded like they had been stuffed with towells. Mine had a light satin finish, the others had a thicker gloss finish. I am not sure if finish makes that much of a difference, or if it was the wood.

I almost pulled the trigger on a guitarron but could not find one to test out.
Lucida_Guitarron.jpg

Anywho, good luck on your quest. If I had to recommend anything, I would recommend playing everything you can, as even the tacomas did not all sound the same.
"Play the music, not the instrument"

Ghiadub Trio | Makosa | Campfire Crooners | Videos
ghiadub
Bouncer

Postby Mike Childree » Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:55 am

I bought my Tacoma used from a guy on TB. He'd not really played it much, so it was like new. So far, I'm really digging it. I've been using it on my acoustic trio gig. It's loud enough that I can rehearse unplugged with the two acoustic guitars and it sounds good plugged in for the gig. I used to be as skeptical as anyone about the value of an ABG, but this one really does seem to get a good representation of an acoustic sound when amp'ed, and it allows me to do some things I simply cannot pull off on URB. I think I paid about $650 used, and it's been well worth it.

I'd not heard about the structural things, but I'm pretty careful with my instruments. I have a nice Martin D-28 and my URB, so I'm used to watching humidity changes, etc. As much as I love Martin guitars, the Tacoma eats the Martin ABG for lunch.
Mike Childree
Bouncer

Postby steveonbass » Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:48 am

One just came up on Boston CL
http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/msg/450544635.html
Cheap but cracked.
peace
-steve
myspace
steveonbass
Bouncer

Postby drbassman » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:37 am

prismacolor2 wrote:One just came up on Boston CL
http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/msg/450544635.html
Cheap but cracked.

I don't mind a crack if I know about it in advance, just don't send me one without telling me about it!!!!
drbassman

Postby Fretless Bill » Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:35 pm

I have a Tacoma Thundercheif CB10CE4 that was built in 2002. It's in mint condition with no cracks. I've known several people that have owned these with no problems. I realize that it's no too unussual to see these with cracks but I wonder if maybe it's not blowen a little out of proportion? I just find it hard to get comfortable with the big body.
Fretless Bill

Postby drbassman » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:58 am

I think all acoustic basses are prone to cracking if kept in the wrong conditions. The biggest problem is lack of humidity. Dryer climates will cause splitting with very little warning. Acoustics need a constant relative humidity of 50% or more to remain stable from my experience. Extended periods, weeks or months, of low humidity can easily dry out an acoustic. Especially the big body one's like the Tacoma or Taylor.

I did get my acoustic too. A Gretsch 6175. I love it! Very different from the spruce top competition. It's a lot of fun to play and the body size and shape work fine for me.

drbassman

Postby Golem » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:42 am

`

Ray Ramirez makes some fine acoustic bass instruments.
You did mention bluegrass, yes? Very slapworthy:

Rmrz_Horiz.jpg

......... of coarse you *could* play it on its endpin :-)

Linky:

http://home.coqui.net/rramirez/BestOf2Worlds.htm

-- - - - - -- -- - - - -- - - - -- - - - -- -- - - -

Or Swami has this Gibson if you want sumptn
loud, but of a more obviously ABG lineage:

Gibson_Dobro.jpg

Swami Bob @

http://www.gbase.com/Stores/Gear/GearDe ... em=1644402

I've bought a few things from Bob over the years. No unpleasant sooprizes.

OR:

A Chinese-made guitarron?
Just stumbled onto this, dont know
anything about it, but for $350 .....

Guitaron350.jpg

Linky: http://www.gbase.com/Stores/Gear/GearDe ... em=1802999

`

New basses are red. Used basses are black.
- - ---- -- - --- - - - --- - ---- -- - - --- - -- - -

In a perfect world
At the end of the day
Tomorrow never comes.
Golem

Postby Golem » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:53 am

drbassman wrote:Even after my negative experience with the Taylor AB bass, I'm still wanting an acoustic bass. If I go for one, it'll be new to avoid the ebay/used hassles I recently experienced.

What do you guys think. Martin or Tacoma? I found out today I can get the Tacoma in a sunburst finish! Now that would be cool for sure!
`

How bout this Martin ?
At least you'll never get any cracks in the top .....

Martin_AL.jpg

$900 with case. http://www.chrisguitars.com/mart-alt-x-bass.jpg

Chris is local to me, so I deal face to face, but he's been online for years as well.

Sometimes he seems grumpy or harrassed, but he's really a good guy. No connections.

`

New basses are red. Used basses are black.
- - ---- -- - --- - - - --- - ---- -- - - --- - -- - -

In a perfect world
At the end of the day
Tomorrow never comes.
Golem

Postby drbassman » Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:18 pm

Interesting list of suggestions. I'm pretty happy now with my current collection of Gibsons and Gretsches. Always looking for a new edition though.........
drbassman

Return to HOLLOWBODY