A/E bass , which one?

A/E bass , which one?

Postby pbman1953 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:40 pm

I was asked to reserach to find an acoustic/ electric. I've never had to buy one so I need some help. The buyer, our singer/band leader, has some songs that may require the A/E bass. His budget is from $800 plus. He told me that he wants a good one. Any ideas?
pbman1953

Re: A/E bass , which one?

Postby nolabass » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:30 pm

Older Washburn basses. Stay away from AB10s and AB20s. Find a AB30 or AB40. Used they fall into the $800 range but they were $1400/$1600 new I believe. They are highly regarded for recording, semi rare and play nice. The AB10/20s are known for the bridge popping off the body.
There are a lot of choices. I only have experience with these frankly. But I got turned onto them reading how Hutch Hutchinson and other first call studio guys in Nashville like them. Leland Sklar is another. Neck may be thick for small hands.

There are reissues out...they are $800 or so for a AB40. But the older are nicer in general. Look for a multilaminated neck with at least 20 or 30 ply. Thats the older model.
My AB45 USA Custom Shop. $2300 list at the time I am told. Not the normal Washburn price point huh?
~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

"Everything Is Oaks & Herbs, My Nerbs" Dr. John
nolabass
Global Bouncer

Postby drbassman » Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:17 am

I've never seen a Fender AB I've liked the sound of. I think the Washburn AB-40 is a nice bass. I like the looks of the current Martins but they are a bit overpriced for what they are. Sometimes you can snag a used one on eBay for $800-1000. A Tacoma Thunderchief is in your range and sound pretty good for its price.

Come back with questions if you have any.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in......
drbassman

Postby drbassman » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:27 am

I'm on it. We'll see how it goes.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in......
drbassman

Postby steveonbass » Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:56 pm

Here's a B-50

no pre but you could just add one...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Guild-B-50-acoustic ... dZViewItem
peace
-steve
myspace
steveonbass
Bouncer

Return to HOLLOWBODY