Acoustic / Electric Bass Strings

Acoustic / Electric Bass Strings

Postby BluesBassPlayer » Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:18 pm

Other than the "phosphor bronze" variety of strings that usually come on AE basses, what other strings can you recommend?

I was hoping to put a set of D'Addario 1/2 rounds on a new Fender Victor Bailey AEB.

Jimi
BluesBassPlayer

Re: Acoustic / Electric Bass Strings

Postby Golem » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:07 am

`
I consider any electric bass of any construction, solid or hollow, whatever, that is without magnetic PUs, to be a candidate for TI Acousticores. I dig them with or without frets. Rare for me to find a string that I like the same for both necks. Even with frets on a solid body you still get that acoustic tone native to these strings. I have 3 sets currently in play. Two sets are on solid bodies [1 FL4, 1 frets5 ] and one is on an ABG [FL4].

Laznite I gigged the ABG with these strings and when I said I wasn't bring it again tonite, Ms Diva threw a hissy. OK. I'm bringing it back tonite, even tho I myself think conditions tonite will be inappropriate for such a bulky ax. Unplugged volume in miniscule and unplugged tone is guitarish [cuzza the brass], but plugged in these things rule. And clearly it is *all* about the Acousticores. An M. Kelly ain't your grampa's tone monster.

`

New basses are red. Used basses are black.
- - ---- -- - --- - - - --- - ---- -- - - --- - -- - -

In a perfect world
At the end of the day
Tomorrow never comes.
Golem

Postby drbassman » Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:42 am

Hey, I use TI jazz rounds on several of my basses and I love em cuz the windings are very small, making the noise and roughness of them minimal. They don't tear up your fingers like many rounds tend to do. They are also low tension. Are the TI acoustic strings like that, i.e. low tension with smoother outer windings?
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in......
drbassman

Postby ghiadub » Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:52 am

+1 on the acousticores. These have a unique sound. They are not flats, they have windings and are very low tension like a classical guitar's nylon strings. Well, they are just a large version of classical guitar's wound strings.

I have these on both my Piezo equipt basses.

IMO they are not for every situation, as they do not cut thru when amplified like a metal string. They seem to have a wider frequency range that is not focused in the mids. If you will be playing with no drummer or a drummer with brushes, these are the best A/E strings IMO.

just sayin.
"Play the music, not the instrument"

Ghiadub Trio | Makosa | Campfire Crooners | Videos
ghiadub
Bouncer

Postby Golem » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:12 am

drbassman wrote:Hey, I use TI jazz rounds on several of my basses and I love em cuz the windings are very small, making the noise and roughness of them minimal. They don't tear up your fingers like many rounds tend to do. They are also low tension. Are the TI acoustic strings like that, i.e. low tension with smoother outer windings?
`

Yes they are rather small windings with low tension, extremely low tension. Tension is so low it can be unsettling until you adapt to it. It takes a noticable twist of the tuning key to effect minor corrections that take barely a nudge of the key for steel-cored strings. They also take time to settle in. For about 2 days you can't expect to play a whole hour and remain in tune, even on a bass that never needed retuning all night with steel strings.

Even after they stabilize, you'll still not gonna have that "almost never needs tuning" stability that a really good bass offers with steel strings. Fortunately, they last a reeeaaallly looong time, so you don't have deal with breaking in a new set very often. I recommend not handing your Acousticore bass to the uninitiated. Generally, you can consider URB players to be amongst the initiated, but it's a lot harder get them to give it back :-)

`

New basses are red. Used basses are black.
- - ---- -- - --- - - - --- - ---- -- - - --- - -- - -

In a perfect world
At the end of the day
Tomorrow never comes.
Golem

Return to HOLLOWBODY