Ibanez Artcore ABS140-Darkstar upgrade???

Ibanez Artcore ABS140-Darkstar upgrade???

Postby jim.i » Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:08 am

Has anyone replaced the factory p/up and controls with a Darkstar on an Ibanez Artcore ABS140? Was it worth it in the end or should i just put the dough towards an Epi Casady?
thanks
Jim
jim.i

Re: Ibanez Artcore ABS140-Darkstar upgrade???

Postby Golem » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:41 am

JI wrote:Has anyone replaced the factory p/up and controls with a Darkstar on an Ibanez Artcore ABS140? Was it worth it in the end or should i just put the dough towards an Epi Casady?
thanks
Jim
`

Having both the ABS140 and the Epi JC, the difference between them is not remarkable. You'll wind up still wanting to DS the JC. Mod the bird-in-hand.

`

New basses are red. Used basses are black.
- - ---- -- - --- - - - --- - ---- -- - - --- - -- - -

In a perfect world
At the end of the day
Tomorrow never comes.
Golem

Postby ghiadub » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:25 pm

So as the official buyer of most of Jim's old basses I ended up with this unit.

And yes kiddies, I did darkstar it. I am not dissappointed, this has the expected Phil Lesh tone.

Fred will be sending me some spacers so I do not have to run the pole pieces full out, but it will sound the same I am sure. I like this more than my old Darkstar P bass that I got from Doug, not that that one sounded bad.

Speaking of, this bass has seen a few badasses. I think it was Pete (nola)>Doug(digthemlows)>Jim(JI)>Me(ghiadub).
big ibby star.JPG
Dark star crashes.......
ghiadub
Bouncer

Postby nolabass » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:29 pm

Ha! Put Butch (noahvale) in front of me. That was a nice little bass.
~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

"Everything Is Oaks & Herbs, My Nerbs" Dr. John
nolabass
Global Bouncer

Postby jim.i » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:40 am

Nice job Tim, you da man!
Jim

ghiadub wrote:So as the official buyer of most of Jim's old basses I ended up with this unit.

And yes kiddies, I did darkstar it. I am not dissappointed, this has the expected Phil Lesh tone.

Fred will be sending me some spacers so I do not have to run the pole pieces full out, but it will sound the same I am sure. I like this more than my old Darkstar P bass that I got from Doug, not that that one sounded bad.

Speaking of, this bass has seen a few badasses. I think it was Pete (nola)>Doug(digthemlows)>Jim(JI)>Me(ghiadub).
big ibby star.JPG
jim.i

Postby shadowcastaz » Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:41 am

Rodent in the dude pit had a great pictoral/how to on installing DS in an artcore. i just sold an Artcore I had planned on a DS but had to thin the herd. Im now doing a restore on a Starfire Im planning DS's. I have a Bach mahog p bass that i DS'ed and it is a great bass.The Artcore is greatly improved with that upgrade.M
"life is too short to drink chitty wine!"
shadowcastaz

Postby ghiadub » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:13 pm

I would love to see those starfire pix. I had to have a buddy do the route on mine as I do not have a router. If you ask Fred, he will send a template. I will see if I can find the one he sent me and post it when I get home.
ghiadub
Bouncer

Return to HOLLOWBODY