Postby tommy » Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:24 am

Currently I have:
Three Guild Starfires (1x66, 2x67)
Gibson LP Sig
Epi Casady
Lakland HB w/ darkstars

I used to have:
60s Harmony H-22
60s Harmony H-27 (i would have kept that but the headstock was split. I would quickly buy another if i can find one)
tommy

Postby drbassman » Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:09 am

I am still gassing for an EB-2 and a 2-pup Starfire. I had a one pup SF, but it was lacking the tone I was looking for, so I flipped it.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in......
drbassman

Postby Monkeyboy » Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:08 am

My hollow bodied is my favorite bass, and the most frustrating. It's so hard admitting you bought a lemon!
Epiphone Rivoli, korean made. I know it's the poor craftsmanship but I received the bass on 9-11-01 from Musicians Friend. A double whammy.

FOr the bnd I was in, it is the BEST bass for groove/dance style playing that does not require you to run all over the fretboard or slap. Throw on some flat wounds and the warmth and "oomph" you get from playing is really felt more than heard. Seriously, I love this bass.

BUT, the bridge is pulling out of the plywood!!! The last repair shop qouted me $350 to repair it! I'm gonna take it in to a retired guy intown here who charges parts, and a little bit over that for labor. Currently working with a traditional latin music project and I need this bass back in working order for it!
"Moobs Mute Strings"
Monkeyboy

Postby drbassman » Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:36 pm

I've had this happen on 3 different Epis including a Rivoli. I carefully pulled the inserts out, super-glued them back in and always keep the single front adjustment screw a little higher than the 2 big ones. It's not a big deal. a good luthier shouldn't charge more than $50 to do this for you!
drbassman

Postby Monkeyboy » Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:52 am

What the other repair guy wanted to do, and sounds like an awesome solution is popping it open, grabbing a block of wood, glueing it in/bolting it in or securing it someway. Then drill the bridge into the new block of wood. I would do it myself, sounds simple enough. Just don't trust myself "popping it open" and or screwing up the electronics.

The retired repair guy I'm most likely gonna use is probably going to charge me for the price of materials and a little bit of labor/time. If I spend more than $60 I'll be suprised. Getting married soon, the only reason I haven't done it yet.
"Moobs Mute Strings"
Monkeyboy

Postby Yggdrasil » Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:13 pm

drbassman wrote:I am still gassing for an EB-2 and a 2-pup Starfire. I had a one pup SF, but it was lacking the tone I was looking for, so I flipped it.

Where was the pup on your SF-I ? I had a 67 with the pup at the neck and loved the tone, but some of the early ones had the pup placed almost in the "bridge" position. I have a Dark-Starred 2 pup Reissue now, but keep it on neck pup only anyway.
Yggdrasil

Postby Yggdrasil » Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:16 pm

drbassman wrote:I've had this happen on 3 different Epis including a Rivoli. I carefully pulled the inserts out, super-glued them back in and always keep the single front adjustment screw a little higher than the 2 big ones. It's not a big deal. a good luthier shouldn't charge more than $50 to do this for you!

+1 -I Assume the Rivoli has that 3 point Gibson bridge - I had it happen on one of my Casadys - the shop I bought it from did exactly this in about 5 minutes.
Jack Casady used to have a note re. this on his old site, it was so common. But it's a nothing problem, a simple fix and nothing to spend a lot of money on.
Just glue it back in.
Yggdrasil

Postby drbassman » Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:27 am

Yggdrasil wrote:
drbassman wrote:I am still gassing for an EB-2 and a 2-pup Starfire. I had a one pup SF, but it was lacking the tone I was looking for, so I flipped it.

Where was the pup on your SF-I ? I had a 67 with the pup at the neck and loved the tone, but some of the early ones had the pup placed almost in the "bridge" position. I have a Dark-Starred 2 pup Reissue now, but keep it on neck pup only anyway.

Mine was a 66 with the pup close to the bridge. At first I kinda liked the tone but really prefrer the old neck-pup mud tone. Probably will buy an EB-2 to feed that need.
drbassman

Postby Pilgrim » Wed May 03, 2006 2:45 pm

I have the Univox shown in my avatar, plus a new Rogue VB-100 Hofner-style bass, and a Lyle hollowbody in walnut brown finish that's set up for a single pickup. I'm replacing the pickup with a Gretsch unit, and adding new electronics and nut. All three are short-scale basses.
- '63 Fender P
- Midnight blue MIM J
- OLP M22, Metallic Blue
- P/J fretless
- Epiphone EB-0
- Univox 335-copy hollowbody
- Rogue VB-100 Violin Bass
- Turser JTB-401 '53 P replica
- Applause AE-40 ABG
Pilgrim

Postby drbassman » Wed May 03, 2006 8:02 pm

I like the TV Jones Gretsch style ThunderTrons. Very nice pups, used them in my Allen Woody project. They sounded really nice in that bass.
drbassman

Postby stevieg » Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:00 pm

Hey,

Well granted, nobody asked, anyway....

19trh century German (possibly Czech) upright. Unusual in two ways: It has a plywood trop and a hardwood back and is not the normal 3/4 size. It is 7/8.

1967 Sears Silvertone (Danelectro) w/. two GREEN lipstick tube pickups, Masonite body and a pickwuarg that looks like someone put seaweed under it.

Carvin Six-String

Carvin graphite fretless five-string, tuned c-g-d-a-e

Rob Allen EB2 frteless tuned g-d-a-e-b

Gibson T-bird (circa 1985)

Gibson RD-Artist (no it ain't for sale)

Epi Jack Casady

Fender 1963 Candy Apple Red Jazz w/ashtrays. Purchased for $150.00 (american) wjen I was in college.

Fender Precision (late 1950's - I think). w/ashtrays.

1967 Guild Starfire II - removed old finish, polished bare wood and replaced Hagstrom PUs / active EMG's added phase shifter.

SWR Super Redhead

1968 Sunn tube 200-S 2 15" JBLs

Ampeg SVT (8x10)

Peavey Mark IV head. Yeah I know, why??? Actually it has two channels that I can switch between using a foot-switch, and a six-band Eq. So one channel is more in mid-high range whilethe other is set to a far lower Eq. I can have either/or ot both. So, for a Peavey it actually has a good bit of flexibility and power and tone shaping. Besides, I have no idea what to replace it with. Suggestions are encouraged. Anyone use an EBS Fafner????

That's all. I was jonesing for a Parker Fly and/or a Fender '57 precission reissue (white, gold anodized pick guard, maple neck) though I have been listening to far too much Levin and the Crimsos so now it is very seriously 10-string Stick. My girlfriend would kill me though I do not think she wants to go up the river for me.

s
stevieg

Re: Whatchagot???

Postby Nedmundo » Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:04 pm

Joining a little late, but mine's a DiPinto Belvedere Standard. I'm with CraigB: I love the semi-hollow tone, but I can't stand the long reach to first position caused by the DiPinto's short upper horn. (At least the neck is ultra fast.) With my most recent band's more technically difficult material relative to earlier bands' stuff, I didn't use it on stage. But the tone is so monstrous that it comes out for recording, and in other bands I've gigged with it many times. Despite the ergonomic issues, it's a keeper. I haven't heard anything else that sounds like it.
Attachments
2005_0704gear0013(b).jpg
Nedmundo

Postby Golem » Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:44 am

Bill Roberts B-3 FL
Fender A/E-P FL
Godin A-4 FL
LeDuc U-Bass 5 FL
Ovation Typhoon II FL
Turner RB5 FL
Washburn AB20 FL

Epi JC
Epi RumbleKat
Fender HMT-P
Ibanez ASB140
Ovation [somekinda bowlback]
Samick RLB2
Steinberger XL2A
Univox 1835
Yamaha BEX-C4

The quantity is even more embareassing than the variety, as several of these are actually pairs. And, yes, Bergers are hollow. Much more hollow than a Fender A/E-P, Spectorcore, RumbleKat, ASAT, etc etc. They are not "chambered" but fully hollow. And they are *much* heavier than any of the solid-bodied wooden ho'bergers. Go figger.

IIRC, the only hollowboxes that I've ever let go were a Dano LongHorn RI, and a Kramer Ferrington. I don't miss either of them at all.

"Good evening everyone. My name is Golem, and I'm a hollowboxaholic."

New basses are red. Used basses are black.
- - ---- -- - --- - - - --- - ---- -- - - --- - -- - -

In a perfect world
At the end of the day
Tomorrow never comes.
Golem

Re:

Postby Golem » Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:00 am

Monkeyboy wrote:......Epiphone Rivoli, korean made. .......
BUT, the bridge is pulling out of the plywood!!! The last repair shop qouted me $350 to repair it! .....
I seriously doubt that it's pulling out of just plywood. There hasta be a bridge block inside to carry that 3-point bridge. Even Epi/Gibby can't be *that* stoopid. This bridge problem is more common than broken headstocks on Gibby basses. Everyone just glues them back in. I 've done 5 of my own already.

New basses are red. Used basses are black.
- - ---- -- - --- - - - --- - ---- -- - - --- - -- - -

In a perfect world
At the end of the day
Tomorrow never comes.
Golem

Postby drbassman » Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:51 pm

I'd like to have one of those RR basses. Very retro and I didn't appreciate them enough when they were around!
drbassman

PreviousNext

Return to HOLLOWBODY