Whatchagot???

Re: Whatchagot???

Postby Nedmundo » Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:04 pm

Joining a little late, but mine's a DiPinto Belvedere Standard. I'm with CraigB: I love the semi-hollow tone, but I can't stand the long reach to first position caused by the DiPinto's short upper horn. (At least the neck is ultra fast.) With my most recent band's more technically difficult material relative to earlier bands' stuff, I didn't use it on stage. But the tone is so monstrous that it comes out for recording, and in other bands I've gigged with it many times. Despite the ergonomic issues, it's a keeper. I haven't heard anything else that sounds like it.
Attachments
2005_0704gear0013(b).jpg
Nedmundo

Postby Golem » Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:44 am

Bill Roberts B-3 FL
Fender A/E-P FL
Godin A-4 FL
LeDuc U-Bass 5 FL
Ovation Typhoon II FL
Turner RB5 FL
Washburn AB20 FL

Epi JC
Epi RumbleKat
Fender HMT-P
Ibanez ASB140
Ovation [somekinda bowlback]
Samick RLB2
Steinberger XL2A
Univox 1835
Yamaha BEX-C4

The quantity is even more embareassing than the variety, as several of these are actually pairs. And, yes, Bergers are hollow. Much more hollow than a Fender A/E-P, Spectorcore, RumbleKat, ASAT, etc etc. They are not "chambered" but fully hollow. And they are *much* heavier than any of the solid-bodied wooden ho'bergers. Go figger.

IIRC, the only hollowboxes that I've ever let go were a Dano LongHorn RI, and a Kramer Ferrington. I don't miss either of them at all.

"Good evening everyone. My name is Golem, and I'm a hollowboxaholic."

New basses are red. Used basses are black.
- - ---- -- - --- - - - --- - ---- -- - - --- - -- - -

In a perfect world
At the end of the day
Tomorrow never comes.
Golem

Re:

Postby Golem » Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:00 am

Monkeyboy wrote:......Epiphone Rivoli, korean made. .......
BUT, the bridge is pulling out of the plywood!!! The last repair shop qouted me $350 to repair it! .....
I seriously doubt that it's pulling out of just plywood. There hasta be a bridge block inside to carry that 3-point bridge. Even Epi/Gibby can't be *that* stoopid. This bridge problem is more common than broken headstocks on Gibby basses. Everyone just glues them back in. I 've done 5 of my own already.

In a perfect world
At the end of the day
Tomorrow never comes.
Golem

Postby drbassman » Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:51 pm

I'd like to have one of those RR basses. Very retro and I didn't appreciate them enough when they were around!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in......
drbassman

Re: Re:

Postby drbassman » Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:53 pm

Golem wrote:
BUT, the bridge is pulling out of the plywood!!! The last repair shop qouted me $350 to repair it! .....
I seriously doubt that it's pulling out of just plywood. There hasta be a bridge block inside to carry that 3-point bridge. Even Epi/Gibby can't be *that* stoopid. This bridge problem is more common than broken headstocks on Gibby basses. Everyone just glues them back in. I 've done 5 of my own already.

Me too, I've superglued 3-4 Epi bridge inserts back into the underlying wood block. Not a big deal. $350 is just insane and unethical.
drbassman

Re: Re:

Postby Golem » Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:17 am

drbassman wrote:
Golem wrote:

Me too, I've superglued 3-4 Epi bridge inserts back into the underlying wood block. Not a big deal. $350 is just insane and unethical.
I very much recommend a slower setting type of glue. Elmer's white glue is perfectly good for the job.

The problem with a rapid, almost instant, setting glue is that it's too easy to just slam the inserts into the body and then find that they really needed some tweaking, angle-wise. Having the flange flush with the surface of the body can [on some basses] result in a situation where after you thread the posts back into the inserts, they are not even close to parallel to each other, and are too far apart to accept the "yoke" that is the bridge and saddle assembly. You can always fit the yoke on there near the bottom, but as you raise it, it no longer fits [tops of posts too far apart].

With the white glue, I can glue the holes, assemble everything, leave the strings at a low 'rubber band' tension, run the bridge up high [posts backed way out on their threads], and then let the glue set overnite. You gotta realize that you don't need a powerful adhesive. After all, the Gibson factory method [friction, no glue at all] actually *almost* works. Any glue that add some adhesion, and also acts a bit as filler, is way more than adequate.

I've done 5 of these. All personal basses, I'm not a repair shop. I used superglue twice. One went OK, the next was a big headache. I started out using white glue, and ultimately went back to it.

In a perfect world
At the end of the day
Tomorrow never comes.
Golem

Postby drbassman » Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:39 am

Another new alternative to the 3-point bridge insert problem with Epis could be a new bridge. Check out the new Hipshot bridge.......... Image

Here's their link...http://www.hipshotproducts.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=264

I'm gonna try one on a current project.
drbassman

Postby drbassman » Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:07 pm

My hollow bodies!!!

drbassman

Postby BluesBassPlayer » Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:38 pm

Yamaha BEX BS signed by Billy Sheehan
_DSC00080548 (2).JPG
_DSC00040544 (2).JPG
BluesBassPlayer

Postby steveonbass » Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:44 pm

I guess, technically, the Dano back there is also kinda hollow.
peace
-steve
myspace
steveonbass
Bouncer

Postby drbassman » Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:49 pm

BluesBassPlayer wrote:Yamaha BEX BS signed by Billy Sheehan
_DSC00080548 (2).JPG
_DSC00040544 (2).JPG

I always thought those Sheehan basses were cool looking. How do they sound and play?
drbassman

Previous

Return to HOLLOWBODY