starfireII

starfireII

Postby shadowcastaz » Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:40 pm

I just got my project and boy what the @#$%. Broom job red paint and binding tacked on with brads!!!!Its gonna be a long winter. [smilie=smilie_kopf.gif]
"life is too short to drink chitty wine!"
shadowcastaz

Re: starfireII

Postby drbassman » Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:22 pm

See, maybe you should have let me have it! [smilie=grinning-smiley-044.gif] I'm already eyeing up another HB project. Hopefully, I score it!

I saw the crummy paint job and loose binding in the auction pics. I would just put all new binding on it, it didn't look good enough to save. However, if you can pry it off without too many breaks, it might be worth saving.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in......
drbassman

Postby shadowcastaz » Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:27 pm

Brads!!! It was nailed on w/ 1/2 " brads then the top layer glued on top. I cant wait to see under the paint .BONDOH!!!!!!! The paint is so thick i had to wrap the back in syran wrap to let it cure. Im weighing it and I bet it is 8-12 oz lighter once I get it stripped. yeah I should have let you try this one .......You would just make it look easy and then Id be .... .Nevermind.
Actually you set the bar pretty high. The binding was not orig so its comin off and Im gonna do it right. Happy New year.
shadowcastaz

Postby drbassman » Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:06 am

Well, I'm sure you'll do a great job with this one. In fact, binding is my weakness that I have to work on. I tried it once and it sucked big time! So, I'm building my own semi-hollow body bass and I'm going to bind it, just to force me to learn to do it correctly! That will be a spring project after all of the other ones.............

I've got a 70s Mustang with the same kind of paint job on it. First, I'm sanding the layers of what llooks like laytex paint off and try to save the poly underneath. If that doesn't work, I'm gonna strip it and then sell it. I don't need it for anything at this point.

Post some pics of your progress!
drbassman

Postby shadowcastaz » Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:44 pm

Some tick paint mon!!! ...then there are the brads [smilie=smilie_kopf.gif]
Attachments
IMGP0291.JPG
IMGP0292.JPG
shadowcastaz

Postby shadowcastaz » Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:49 am

Progress,Echhhhh!
Back
Front is THICK!!!!!!!
shadowcastaz

Postby drbassman » Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:20 pm

Whew, what a mess! It does look like things are moving along. I just spent an hour on my all maple NR and I'll be installing the hardware later today! I decided not to go after the HB Gretsch I was watching on eBay as I'd rather focus on my T-Birds and LP bass for now.

There will be other HB basket cases I'm sure..............

Thanks for the update!
drbassman

Postby Rob Francis » Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:09 pm

That looks like a great project! But. . . what the hell is that silly string looking stuff on the second photo.
Honestly I've seen some uglay paint jobs before but this one looks like an intentional "make it look nasty" attempt.

Anyway, congrats and please keep the picture coming as it develops.

Rob
Rob Francis

Postby drbassman » Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:23 pm

I agree, that is gross for sure! The there's the one in my Avatar. It must have had 5 coats of various and sundry paint, some of it spray, some brushed on latex!!!! Some people are just plain stupid!
drbassman

Postby shadowcastaz » Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:36 pm

The silly string look is from me . When I strip something, I cover it with syran wrap to slow the cure. when the paint moves ,it stix to da syran. In telling you Im covered with red putty. I can carve it in some spots. The edge reveals some hasty sanding by a previus fixer.....nuthin a steady hand , a razor and some veneer wont fix. I thought 8oz light er its going to be a POUND. Ive gone through 2 shirts and a bath towel removing this chit from my scraper. NASTY!
shadowcastaz

Postby shadowcastaz » Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:37 pm

I hopre I dont have to hide mine under paint!No offense,Doc
shadowcastaz

Postby shadowcastaz » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:12 pm

More scraping........
As you can see near the outer edge and f hole, worn thru mahog. now the fun begins
shadowcastaz

Postby drbassman » Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:50 pm

That is just one huge mess! That old mahog is nice under there. My Starfire had the same wood, really nice stuff once you get down to it. Had I kept mine, I proably would have finished it in a trans cherry again, that is such a rich color over the mahog. What are you thinking?
drbassman

Postby shadowcastaz » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:29 pm

Clear emerald green. i have to wait to see if the bleach does its mojo. I got some 2x2 grovers today and the posts are bigger. I may drill them out. I got a hagstrom bridge with rose wood saddles. .im happy so far.(except for [smilie=cool-smiley-027.gif] the posts)
shadowcastaz

Postby drbassman » Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:20 pm

Are you serious about the green!?!? Where did you find that bridge, they don't pop up much!
drbassman

Next

Return to HOLLOWBODY