Samick Hollowbody... ?

Samick Hollowbody... ?

Postby throckmorten » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:58 am

I just missed an opportunity on a Samick HB 5-string (fretless! no less). Found out about it too late and didn't even get a chance to see it.
Has anyone had a chance to play one of these or know much about them?

BNW has an odd looking defretted one http://www.bassnw.com/Used%20Basses/sam ... 690bfl.htm
EGAD!
throckmorten

Re: Samick Hollowbody... ?

Postby Golem » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:09 pm

`
Last year I'da bought the 5FL from BNW already, but lately I'm overstocked :-) Recently picked up a M. Kelly 5FL ABG, which for all I know, is a Samick anywayz.

I've got a pair of Samick thinline dual PU semihollows from their Greg Bennet series, and they are decent sounding reliable basses with active systems. The reason I have a pair is I was gonna defret one but never got around to it. Samick, like Cort, is the manufacturor of some Ibnez and other brands that have no actual manufacturing facilities of their own. It's also of similar quality to Cort. Kinda amuses me that Greg Bennet gets his sig on a series and he's not a celebrity player ... he's a marketing guy. WTF? I suppose you can call it a form of honesty about where their priorities lay.

One cool thing about Samick and Cort is that they are Korean subcontractors, so most of their stuff is actually made in Korea. Korea these days is right up with Japan for quality. As with the Japanese, some Korean named stuff is now made in China, Indonesia, etc, but most Samick and Cort stuff is excellent Korean made instruments.

Get the 5FL from BNW. You'll dig it. It's a defret, so it's gotta have some sort of ghost lines on it. Or if you want one of my thinlines, with the frets still on it, talk to me.

`
Last edited by Golem on Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

New basses are red. Used basses are black.
- - ---- -- - --- - - - --- - ---- -- - - --- - -- - -

In a perfect world
At the end of the day
Tomorrow never comes.
Golem

Postby throckmorten » Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:45 am

Thanks Golum.
Near as I can tell they're a lot like an Ibanez Artcore with a different pickup config. Not a bad idea.

I sort of wrote Samick off years ago and probably shouldn't have. Looking back I think some of their stuff was decent at for the price range they sold in.

I would like to have tried this one (it was at the Guitar Works in Ithaca) but I can't reasonably acquire anyting without selling something else at this point.
EGAD!
throckmorten

Postby Tornadobass » Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:23 pm

I've had the Samick Royale bass for a few months now...it has one MM pickup, plus a 2 band preamp and a coil balance knob.

Plays nice, good clarity and sustain. I've tried a couple of different wiring possibilities and put it back to the original scheme.

Seems like a nice instrument, especially for the price, although I think it's a bit tacky to have rear cavity covers that aren't recessed. Not a big deal, though.

Not sure that I'm going to keep it, though. I have enough basses and this one probably won't get played.
Tornadobass

Postby Golem » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:31 am

Tornadobass wrote:...... although I think it's a bit tacky to have rear cavity covers that aren't recessed. .......
`

Well it's a hollow body. Cutting the ledge for recessing the cover on a solid body is one thing, but on a hobo? I got on very fancy hobo and they hadda add extra wood inside to recess the cover.

BTW, IIRC the cover on my solid body USA Spector is not recessed.

`

New basses are red. Used basses are black.
- - ---- -- - --- - - - --- - ---- -- - - --- - -- - -

In a perfect world
At the end of the day
Tomorrow never comes.
Golem

Postby Tornadobass » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:34 am

I recall the Godin I had for awhile recessed the plate, but yes, there's not much to hang it on otherwise.
Tornadobass

Postby throckmorten » Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:15 am

Well I got a look at it yesterday in the shop (it's on hold). It is an AGB rather than a hollowbody electric (a fine line sometimes and that hadn't sunk in)
Blond figured maple, nice finish, very good looking bass -- that pic at BNW makes it look pock-marked. Would definately make a nice fretted 4 but as an FL-5 it didn't do much for me.
And yeah, the rear access pannel is raised. Geez! Stop fussing [smilie=smilie_kopf.gif] [smilie=grinning-smiley-044.gif]
EGAD!
throckmorten

Return to HOLLOWBODY