DiPinto Belvedere deserves the love!

DiPinto Belvedere deserves the love!

Postby Nedmundo » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:23 pm

I scanned the threads, and saw no mention of the DiPinto Belvedere semi-hollow, so I thought I'd start the appreciation thread this baby deserves. This is the first great bass I bought after returning to playing after nearly ten years off. I bought it in 2003 from the DiPinto shop in Philadelphia, and Chris D. himself has seen me play it on stage. It's one of my two most consistently great sounding basses, along with my 2003 Fender Jazz. (I think my SB-2 is in this league also, but I haven't gigged or recorded with it yet to be sure.) So despite my Fender and G&L obsessions, it's stayed in the arsenal.

It's a semi-hollow mahogany body, and the pickups are "large-bobbin" single coils. This combination provides the heft and "air" of a semi-hollow, but prevents mud unless you really want it. It sounds amazingly huge, but with clarity. A former bandmate said it sounded like it weighed "1,000 pounds," which is a good description. You really feel the tone of this bass in your chest. I've used it for everything from punk and old-school metal to modern "indie" rock, always with great results. It's especially fantastic for recording, and is worth keeping for that reason alone. The neck has a narrow taper like a Fender Jazz, and the fretboard is ebony with a flat 14" radius. And yes, it has 24 frets, which is useful sometimes. It gets very low action, and plays like butter.

The only drawback, in my opinion, is the long reach to first position caused by the short upper horn. I've gigged with it several times anyway, but must confess my Fenders and G&L's are more comfortable on stage, so I gravitate toward those.

Here she is:
Nedmundo

Re: DiPinto Belvedere deserves the love!

Postby craigb » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:26 pm

I had one that looked just like yours. I give it a big thumbs up [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif] for tone. Like you I found the ergonmics less than ideal but still think about adding one to the lineup in the future 'cause it just sounded so good.
my personal music site: http://www.ninestonering.com/craig
craigb

Postby nolabass » Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:45 pm

Thanks for the review. I have eyed those for a while. If the H22 RI was not on the horizon I would be on one of these.
~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

"Everything Is Oaks & Herbs, My Nerbs" Dr. John
nolabass
Global Bouncer

Postby drbassman » Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:17 am

As one of the few hollow LP style basses, I've always thought the DP looked cool in a retro sort of way. I'd like to try one some day too!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in......
drbassman

Postby pbassplayer » Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:04 am

AGREED !!
i tried one out at a buddy's store,he just took on the line.he's already sold a few of the guitars
i play jazz and r+b and this bass has killer tone. it weighs nothing and the ergonomics are not that much of an issue ,
i like the sunburst finish.. (to bad the one he has is gold,it's cool but but a little flashy for me.)

this is the 1st bass in years that i liked well enough to consider purchasing,i've been a staunch fender p guy for 40+ years !!
pbassplayer

Return to HOLLOWBODY