Godin A4 product history

Godin A4 product history

Postby RichardH » Fri May 02, 2008 12:52 am

OK, I'm after one of these, and Kevin Probass has a lovely new one at a great price at the moment, but shipping to the UK is looking expensive, but do-able.

However, in the meantime a sunburst one has popped on the UK 'bay, and it looks different from the non synth access A4s I've seen - no binding on the headstock, and the A4 is printed larger, and there's no "assembled in USA crafted in Canada" tagline on the headstock either.

So does this make it an early one?

Anything to be careful of?
RichardH

Re: Godin A4 product history

Postby Golem » Fri May 02, 2008 9:30 am

`

Mine is pre-synth, about 10 yrs old. No binding on the headstock. Don't know if the "Godin A4" lettering is large or small compared to a newer A4 but It's about as wide as my finger. The "Made in Canada/USA etc" info on mine is a transparent sticker, so it could just disappear sometime.

`

New basses are red. Used basses are black.
- - ---- -- - --- - - - --- - ---- -- - - --- - -- - -

In a perfect world
At the end of the day
Tomorrow never comes.
Golem

Postby ghiadub » Fri May 02, 2008 9:33 am

I have an A4 SA. It also does not have the headstock binding. As you might have noticed the main difference is the piezo. The non SA has an under bridge, and the sa has individual saddles.

I do not have a non SA bass to compare to, but I have two of the Godin SA guitars and have compared those to the Godin non sa under bridge piezo. So, slightly out of context but trying to help.

The non sa guitar translates more of the top sound to the piezo. If I tap the guitar top like a drum, it picks up a lot more bass and click than the SA does. The SA picks up more string noise. This is why I like the SA. I like the string noise on these as it translates to clarity and a pure sound that I find very musical. I find the SAs, with their RMC pickups, sound almost exactly like they do acoustically when amplified. I love the attack. The bad side is that any technique imperfections will come very apparent.

Side note: I put on some TI Acousticores and highly recommend them.

So does this make it an early one?
Yes, I think it does.
"Play the music, not the instrument"

Ghiadub Trio | Makosa | Campfire Crooners | Videos
ghiadub
Bouncer

Postby Rich M » Fri May 02, 2008 10:32 am

I have the predecessor to the A4 - the Godin Acoustibass. Here's a couple threads that may contain some info of interest:

http://badassbassplayers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=6114&p=46719&hilit=acoustibass#p46719

http://badassbassplayers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=6274&p=47990&hilit=acoustibass#p47990

If your's has the Grover tuners, I would guess that it's an older one.
Information is the currency of democracy.
Rich M
Bouncer

Postby RichardH » Sat May 03, 2008 12:17 am

Thanks folks - interesting to hear the difference in sound between the SA and non SA.

Here's what I'm talking about with the differences. These are both non SA A4s:

"Newer" version (?)

"Older" version:

Note the lack of bridge pins, too.
I've just realised that the older one pictured above has different string trees - and the one on eBay at the moment just has a single string tree (round variety).

Unless this one in the UK goes stupid cheap, I'm still inclined to go for the SA version, although I can't ever see me using the synth access stuff.
RichardH

Postby Golem » Mon May 05, 2008 12:28 pm

RichardH wrote:................... Note the lack of bridge pins, too.

I've just realised that the older one pictured above has different string trees - and the one on eBay at the moment just has a single string tree (round variety).

Unless this one in the UK goes stupid cheap, I'm still inclined to go for the SA version, although I can't ever see me using the synth access stuff.

Well I really dislike pins, but YMMV. OTOH it seems like Godin has done a lot more than simply tack on Synth Access. Less twitchy controls is welcome, and the individual piezo saddles *should* be accompanied by individual gain trim pots for each string. Don't know about the Godin SA in particular, but thaz is usually how it goes with indviual saddles [ala Fishman, Turner, EBMM, etc]. Having a trim for each string is great. Some of us go crazy trying to reasonably balance the output across 4 or 5 strings on a single element piezo bridge. But I do love my older A4 and it has been no problem.

Mine wears TI-Jazz Flats and this seems to result in a degree of 'acousticallity' that is distinctly woody, airy, and stringy without an excess of finger noise and other undesirable inputs from my klutzy techhnique. I have them tuned DGCF, and the detuned strings, of a low tension design, are delivering a very even output to the piezo. Thaz either luck or good design ;-)

A4's are a good buy. They are well built, and they play and sound great. They are a bit oversize and overweight, but Rob Allen can offer you a petite version, for twice the price. For an in between price, there's the Turner Ren: equally big and klunky, but magically ultralite. No free lunch. You pays your money and you takes your pick.

`

In a perfect world
At the end of the day
Tomorrow never comes.
Golem

Postby RichardH » Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:21 am

The deed is done, and the A4 SA that was residing at Good Guys Guitars should soon be winging its way over the pond to the UK.

Hopefully it will arrive on my birthday, like my L2K did 3 years ago.
RichardH

Postby Golem » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:22 am

RichardH wrote:The deed is done, and the A4 SA that was residing at Good Guys Guitars should soon be winging its way over the pond to the UK.

Hopefully it will arrive on my birthday, like my L2K did 3 years ago.
`

Coolth. I just noticed today that Kevin's A4 SA had a "Hold" stamp on the listing. Glad it's you.

Godin's a Canadian company, so you should make sure you get any import duty or tax break that might be avaialble to you.

`

In a perfect world
At the end of the day
Tomorrow never comes.
Golem

Postby jfh2424 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:28 am

Kevin is a really good dealer. You are lucky to have lucked into an honest and cool guy. What do you think of your bass?

I have an older version of the Godin A4. I really dig it, it is really cool for jazz. The only knock I have is this: it sounds like an upright and it has the same problem as some uprights have. It can get lost in the mix, especially if things get loud. Turning up just does not seem to help. Albeit, perhaps I am just not good at dialing in a good tone for cutting through with this kind of instrument.

Any one else find this?

John
jfh2424

Postby ghiadub » Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:30 am

I love my A4, but I have to agree, it does get lost in the mix for exactly the same reason you stated.

It can get boomy and feedback when things get loud, I run a low end cutoff filter (HF-PRE) and add some mids with the on the bass eq. That seems to help.
"Play the music, not the instrument"

Ghiadub Trio | Makosa | Campfire Crooners | Videos
ghiadub
Bouncer

Return to HOLLOWBODY