How different is a 30th anniv stingray?

How different is a 30th anniv stingray?

Postby earlgray » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:03 am

Picked up a lovely 30th anniversary Stingray bass a few weeks ago and I'm loving it...only played it on 2 gigs so far and have received several comments on the sound, even from folks who didn't realize it was a new bass... (didn't take it on a recent European tour -- the '87 G&L SB-2 got that trip because of its simplicity and versatility). My 30th is strung with TI Jazz Flats, my favorite string, and I really dig the sound.

My question is -- how does this compare to an older 'ray, say a 70's pre-EB?

I know the mahogany body & finish are unique, but from an electronics pov, I seem to remember the older single pickup models having coil switching and 2-band eq. Are the pickups/preamp/EQ significantly different?

thanks,
Alex
earlgray

Re: How different is a 30th anniv stingray?

Postby Freddels » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:38 am

I have a 30th also and it does sound great. Much of the tone comes from the Hog body. I'm not sure how it sounds compared to the pre-EB stingrays but many have concluded that they cannot really tell much difference b/w the 2-band and 3-band EQ. Of course, others claim they can tell the difference in sound b/w a brown mouse fart and a white mouse fart.
The Stingrays never had a coil switch but the Sterlings did and still do.
|| Aguilar Tonehammer 500, Ampeg 7 Pro, Markbass CMD102P, GK 800RB||
Freddels

Postby Rod Trussbroken » Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:25 pm

earlgray wrote:...I know the mahogany body & finish are unique, but from an electronics pov, I seem to remember the older single pickup models having coil switching and 2-band eq. Are the pickups/preamp/EQ significantly different?

thanks,
Alex

Pre-EB Rays never had coil switching.

The 3EQ and 2EQ are electronically different from each other. Under normal circumstances the 3EQ (IMO) is not as meaty as the 2EQ which can produce very deep lowes. I've found that the Mahogony on the 30th ANNI changes the sonics of the 3EQ to the point where it sounds more like the 2EQ but with an added Mid control.

The Pre-EB coil windings varied from one pickup to another mainly because of the machinery used at the time. The windings on the EB Sting Rays are now more consistent. The pole pieces are still the same as the Pre-EBs (Alnico).

I have a 1978/79 Pre-EB which is a great Bass. But the 30th is a far better instrument with regards to quality and feel. I prefer the flatter neck.
Gav
www.musicmanbass.org
MUSICMAN BASS VINTAGE ID

Rod Trussbroken
Bouncer

Postby Caca de Kick » Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:14 am

I gotta agree with Gav here too.

Same experience with me, that generally the 3eq doesn't sound as meaty as a 2eq, and that the mahogany does bring in alot of low mids.
I have a couple of preEB Stingrays, and the 30th I had for a couple of years sounded pretty similar to them in depth. But as far as fretboard radius, I honestly still prefer the rounder freboard of the preEB necks. But the 30th was one awesome bass, and I'll get another someday.
Caca de Kick

Postby Rod Trussbroken » Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:49 am

I've previously substituted a vintage 2EQ (which is the same as the current 2EQ)...the bass adjustment is too muddy.

The 3EQ is the perfect marriage for this badboy Bass Guitar [smilie=smilie_kopf.gif]

(Chuck...you'll be getting a GREAT Bass)
Gav
www.musicmanbass.org
MUSICMAN BASS VINTAGE ID

Rod Trussbroken
Bouncer

Postby Caca de Kick » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:39 am

Rod Trussbroken wrote:I've previously substituted a vintage 2EQ (which is the same as the current 2EQ)...the bass adjustment is too muddy.

The 3EQ is the perfect marriage for this badboy Bass Guitar

That's good to know. I was thinking of trying that too, but glad to hear it didn't work out.
Caca de Kick

Postby Rod Trussbroken » Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:26 am

Caca...what happened to your 30th...did you sell it?
Gav
www.musicmanbass.org
MUSICMAN BASS VINTAGE ID

Rod Trussbroken
Bouncer

Postby Caca de Kick » Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:56 pm

Rod Trussbroken wrote:Caca...what happened to your 30th...did you sell it?

Well yeah...my wife really screwed up her finances, so I had to unload several collectible basses to cover her azz. So my 30th, Buttercream SR5 HH, and Dargie Delight SR4 HH were among some of the basses that let go.
Caca de Kick

Return to MUSICMAN