Weak G vs strong G string....

Weak G vs strong G string....

Postby spideyjg » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:16 pm

In doing some homework on G&L stuff I busted open my Sabre to check out the preamp. My Sabre doesn't have the weak G string that Sterling Ball says is due to the pre amp of the Stingray. [smilie=coz.gif]

Interestingly enough check out Gav's pic of a '79 pre amp and the one from the Sabre. There are some significant changes and quite possibly accounts for why this Sabre doesn't sound like any EBMM bass I have pitted it against. The Sabre the D/G are stronger than the E/A.

From Gavin's site a '79 MM pre..

My '79 Sabre Pre...

Jim
Silverbass wrote:gawd damn the pusher man
spideyjg
Bouncer

Re: Weak G vs strong G string....

Postby Rod Trussbroken » Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:37 pm

Hey Jim...

I wasn't aware that Sterling attributed any string problems to the pre-amp? I must have missed that.

I've noticed the weak G on my four Sting Rays (2EQ and 3EQ) AND my two Jazz Basses also (one is active and the other is passive). It only happens when using my fingers as opposed to using a pick and is mainly at the first 5 or 6 frets. Higher up the neck, the G string is loud and clear. There's no problem at all when using a pick. It can usually be rectified by raising the pickup slightly on the G side and/or increasing the treble and mid controls. I think it has something to do with the accoustics of the venue as some people seem to notice it while others don't. Also, I only notice it sometimes...not all the time.

BTW, the Sabre began using the Sting Ray pre-amp (top pic) from around 1983 when they changed to the lever switching.
Gav
www.musicmanbass.org
MUSICMAN BASS VINTAGE ID

Rod Trussbroken
Bouncer

Postby spideyjg » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:58 pm

Thanks Gav. I didn't know they switched over the pre also in the EB rendition.

Very interesting.

Anyhow here is what Sterling said a few years back which i was referring to........

Sterlings comment in post 13 from 11/05....

So i wonder if this Sabre contains a circuit revamped by Leo or the MM engineers to remedy the weak G and due to the Sabre not selling as well this was abandoned by EB. [smilie=coz.gif]

Certainly can't argue with the success of EBMM with the Stingray circuit though.

Jim
spideyjg
Bouncer

Postby Rod Trussbroken » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:34 pm

I do remember that thread now...in fact, I'd saved it [smilie=cheeky-smiley-025.gif]

I note my post back then aswell. At that stage I'd only experienced it with the 3EQ and not the 2EQ but today is a different story as I've outlined above. Like myself, I see others have experienced it with different Basses and different EQ's. Sterlings explanation is interesting though...the G is not lower in output but rather it's thinner.

I don't know if your pre-amp is a revamp...probably not because they latter switched to a Sting Ray pre-amp.
Gav
www.musicmanbass.org
MUSICMAN BASS VINTAGE ID

Rod Trussbroken
Bouncer

Postby Ken Baker » Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:48 pm

You know I'm probably full of crap, but a weak G string on a 4 string bass around the 5th & 6th frets sounds like a resonance deal. Not a full-blown dead spot (7th & 8th position), but near enough. Add some mass to the headstock and see WTF!

<Skulking back off to cardboard basses and finely assembled Fender clones>

Ken...
...at least the doctors find me fascinating...
Ken Baker
"Turn the darned thing down!!"

Postby spideyjg » Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:32 pm

Well I have paired the Sabre up against an '83 Ray, LE HH Ray, and a couple of other EBMMS at Harry's and in all cases the Sabre G response anywhere on the board is more balanced in my hands.

I so want a lighter bass that can give me the sound of this 12lb boat anchor but haven't found it yet in the EBMM offerings. :( I keep looking and hoping.

Jim
spideyjg
Bouncer

Postby harleyyy » Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:08 pm

spideyjg wrote:
I so want a lighter bass that can give me the sound of this 12lb boat anchor but haven't found it yet in the EBMM offerings. :( I keep looking and hoping.

Jim

Well lookie here 10.2 [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif]

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0300135023
"I try to keep 'Thou shalt not kill.' The rest of them I'm kind of shaky on." Willie Nelson
"Forget The Drama, Shut Up And Play." ME

Mr Meanor on Facebook
harleyyy
Host Of Your Forum

Links: http://badassbassplayers.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/BadAssBassPlayerscom
https://www.facebook.com/MrMeanorBand
http://wwwwww.tonewavetech.com

Postby Caca de Kick » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:24 pm

I don't know what to say about some folks experiencing a weak G. I've had well over twenty Musicmans from all eras and have never experienced it at all. At the moment I have nothing but 2eq basses: '78, '81, '07 StingRays, and my '80 Sabre G string sounds the same balanced loudness as any of them. I only play fingerstyle, and I only play tube amps.

Now with that said, it can't possibly be a common problem at all...maybe folks eq their amps funny, Maybe it's a setup issue, maybe folks stand too close or over their cabinet not hearing the sound project out, maybe there's a softened technique issue when they're hitting the G, I don't know....otherwise why would the StingRay continue to still be the flagship and biggest selling bass for Musicman? If it were a "problem", then the bass wouldn't sell.
And then there's the tech support responses from EBMM that say, if you are experiencing a problem, then you can remove the pickup and simply push the magnets out by lightly tapping on them so you can arrange a better string balance if needed.

But for the sake of preamp pics, here's one of my Apr '80 Sabre.
Attachments
DSC01366.JPG
Caca de Kick

Postby bdgotoh » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:06 pm

I've never understood that either Mike. I've had many MusicMan basses and I can't remember one that had a weak G string. The string balance has always been really great, and I've had pretty much every model at least once. I'm not saying people don't hear it, but I sure can't. I tend to run mine with the mids flat, bass flat to slightly boosted, and treble flat to full cut.
bdgotoh
Bad Ass Evil One

Postby Chuck B » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:41 am

The same thing here. I didn't have tons of Rays but those I had (and have) didn't suffer from a weak G-string.

Update: The '79 I got yesterday doesn't have a weak G-string either...
Chuck B

Return to MUSICMAN