Looking to buy a new Stingray 5. What PUPS?

Looking to buy a new Stingray 5. What PUPS?

Postby ken woodward » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:43 pm

Hey guys, I find myself back to buying another Music man bass. This will be the 6th, and no, I don't have any of the other I previously bought. (Don't say it please). I need a 5 -string that can aquire the "Piano sound "I need for some studio work now and then. Do you recommend having 2 each humbuckers or a single coil in the front. I've finally come to the conclusion that 35" scale is not for me. This will be my first MM with 2 pickups, which I have allways wanted. Any configuration help will be greatly appreciated. I had a Lakland that had Barts in it with the single coil in the front and it seemed to do the job. Thanks ahead for your input. Ken
ken woodward

Re: Looking to buy a new Stingray 5. What PUPS?

Postby aussiemark » Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:47 am

If you get two humbuckers you can use the toggle to run the front pup single coil. In that way, the dual bucker Stingrays are the most versatile.
aussiemark

Postby Freddels » Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:49 am

After the introduction of the Sterling 5, the new Stingray 5's have the same pickups as the 4 string Stingrays so they might sound a little different than the old Stingray 5's. [smilie=coz.gif]
|| Aguilar Tonehammer 500, Ampeg 7 Pro, Markbass CMD102P, GK 800RB||
Freddels

Postby bdgotoh » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:24 am

I personally prefer the HH format for the tone, some people like the HS more. I've got a Sterling 5 HH that I love - feel, weight, and tone are perfect for me. I also have a really nice Stingray 5 HH that sounds just like a 4 string Stingray (alnico pickups) but it's too heavy for me. The Stingray sounds more clear and vintage, the Sterling is a bit darker but it sits where I want it to tonewise. The tone isn't necessarily what I'd choose playing it by itself but it really sounds great in a band setting.
bdgotoh
Bad Ass Evil One

Postby Thornton Davis » Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:08 pm

I have a couple of SR5's that are a couple of years old and they've got the Ceramic pickup in them (H). I also have a 4 month old SR5 (H)that has the Alnico in it. I personally prefer the older Ceramic pickup over the newer Alnico.

I've owned a SR5 HH, and got great piano tone out of it in the studio. But because it was too heavy on my back to use nightly to gig with, I sold it and bought a Sterling 5 HH.

With me, bottom line is I use my SR5 H with the Ceramic pickup as my workhorses.

TD
Exclusively using Ernie Ball Music Man 5 String basses and Genz-Benz amplification.
Thornton Davis

Postby Mudville Stomper » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:44 pm

for the record, there is NO single coil setting in an HH stingray.
Mudville Stomper

Postby BluesBassPlayer » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:41 pm

I have a Sterling HS and can't find any faults with it.
BluesBassPlayer

Return to MUSICMAN