For The Experts

Re: For The Experts

Postby Rod Trussbroken » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:09 am

Templar wrote:
One of the Pre-EB salesman also told me about the Blue tinge with the Nitro.

Ya, that blue thing is part of the mystery. My Ray played so badly, that after a couple months I got fed up with it. So I sanded off all the fretboard goop down to bare wood, intending to re-apply a thin coat of laquer. By this time, the weather was hot and muggy. The neck warped and twisted before I could seal it. I ruined the bass forever.

So I ran a newspaper ad; "Musicman Stingray bass, warped neck. $325 obo". The phone practically rang off the hook. The first caller came right over to see it....plugged in for 30 seconds....and said, "I'll take it." He did'nt even make an offer, just handed me $325. I said, "You know the neck is shot, right?" "Yep, does'nt matter." Off he went with the ruined, fugly Stingray.

Meanwhile, the calls from my ad kept coming in....must have gotten 20 that day, and 20 more the next. I asked one of the callers what the big deal was. I described the horrid finish to him, he replied...."You had a Blue Fog, they're getting $1200 for 'em on the west coast."

Now, I have no idea what anything sold for on the coast, but obviously some people knew something that I did'nt. And "Blue Fog" was a pretty accurate description of this finish. In my case, there was no 'hint' or 'tinge' of blue. The outer edge of the burst had flat out blushed into a nasty, foggy blue-gray.

After that wierd episode........nothing. Never heard another word about the blue thing until reading this thread. Enigma.

It's a pityy you don't have pics. Would have been interesting to see!!!
Gav
www.musicmanbass.org
MUSICMAN BASS VINTAGE ID

Rod Trussbroken
Bouncer

Re: For The Experts

Postby Rod Trussbroken » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:22 am

Ken Baker wrote:....I'm thinking that he also has the CLF/MM logs as well, unless they made their way to SLO with the rightful owners. BP might have an answer.

Sadly, Ernie Ball has no serial-related records for the Pre-EBs. This is also the case with the early Ernie Ball Sting Rays using the old Pre-EB "B0xxxx" type serials.
Gav
www.musicmanbass.org
MUSICMAN BASS VINTAGE ID

Rod Trussbroken
Bouncer

Previous

Return to MUSICMAN