Big Al bass

Re: Big Al bass

Postby Freddels » Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:52 pm

I'm sure you could order a Big Al fretless. That's one of the options that they usually offer for all the basses.

I like the 25th Anniv one in the HSS configuration (but not the price).
|| Aguilar Tonehammer 500, Ampeg 7 Pro, Markbass CMD102P, GK 800RB||
Freddels

Postby bdgotoh » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:03 pm

Your new bass is on the way André!
bdgotoh
Bad Ass Evil One

Postby Shark » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:43 pm

:rant:
Last edited by Shark on Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shark

Postby vates » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:50 am

I'm waiting eagerly for a 5-stringer... Love this shape [smilie=music-smiley-005.gif]
vates

Postby SpankyAndy2 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:33 pm

bdgotoh wrote:Your new bass is on the way André!

Hey Brad,

Did you flip the 'AL?

Best regards

ANdy
SpankyAndy2

Postby bdgotoh » Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:13 pm

Yep Andy, it now lives in Germany. I'm looking for a lightweight one now.
bdgotoh
Bad Ass Evil One

Postby SpankyAndy2 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:16 pm

bdgotoh wrote:Yep Andy, it now lives in Germany. I'm looking for a lightweight one now.

Darn!

Good luck with the low-fat Al search. I'd be interested in knowing what kind of weight's these puppies come in. I'm too old to have boat anchors hanging off my shoulder.

Let me know if there's any other MM stuff you want to flip?

Best regards

Andy
SpankyAndy2

Postby bdgotoh » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:22 pm

Most I've heard of run from 9.2 to 10.5 lbs. Mine was 9.7. The only MM leaving the stable soon is that other Sabre we talked about.
bdgotoh
Bad Ass Evil One

Postby SpankyAndy2 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:04 am

bdgotoh wrote:Most I've heard of run from 9.2 to 10.5 lbs. Mine was 9.7. The only MM leaving the stable soon is that other Sabre we talked about.

Thanks Brad!

Wonder why there is no such thing as a light-weight MM?

We don't get much in the way of MM's here - just the vanilla versions at best. My local music store has probably got 8 or so EMBB basses at most (4, 5 & sterling), but it's all standard "safe" colours and p/up configs. You wouldn't find a Bongo, let alone a 5HHp Bongo down here. Makes me wish I hadn't flipped mine so hastily.

Cheers

Andy
SpankyAndy2

Postby aussiemark » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:25 pm

SpankyAndy2 wrote:Wonder why there is no such thing as a light-weight MM?

I'd say the weight is mostly a trade off for some of the things that make MMs good basses - the bigass bridge, the big pickup magnets, an onboard preamp and battery. Add all those things to a lightish P or J and you have the answer.
aussiemark

Postby SpankyAndy2 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:06 pm

aussiemark wrote:

I'd say the weight is mostly a trade off for some of the things that make MMs good basses - the bigass bridge, the big pickup magnets, an onboard preamp and battery. Add all those things to a lightish P or J and you have the answer.

Good point Mark! How dumb am I? [smilie=coz.gif]

Cheers

Andy
SpankyAndy2

Postby bdgotoh » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:38 pm

Mark is right about the preamp/batteries/bridge/etc, but there are lightweight MM basses out there. I've had quite a few Sterling basses that weighed between 7.7 and 8.5 lbs, 3 of them were HH. Light Stingrays are a bit harder to find, the lightest HH Ray 4 I know of is 8.7 lbs. Back when I still played single H Stingrays I had one that weighed 7.9 lbs with the mute bridge. My Bongo HH 4 weighs 8.0 lbs and is super easy on the shoulder. I've had a good number of Bongos that were in the 8-9 lb neighborhood.

You just have to be patient and keep looking for the right bass.
bdgotoh
Bad Ass Evil One

Postby Thornton Davis » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:17 am

I see that Sterling Ball has announced and posted pictures (on the EBMM site) of a new version of the Big Al, the Big Al H. Single humbucker. Sweet! It will be shown at NAMM. Hopefully along with a 5-string version.

TD
Exclusively using Ernie Ball Music Man 5 String basses and Genz-Benz amplification.
Thornton Davis

Postby Thornton Davis » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:26 am

Just announced and shown by Sterling Ball, the new Big Al 5 SSS along with the new Big Al 5 H bass. [smilie=icon_biggrin.gif]

Both have 18 volt passive and active electronics. The single H p/u is from the 25th anniversary and both have the Sterling 5 neck. [smilie=music-smiley-005.gif]

Apparently the Reflex (new production version of the 25th) will be introduced at Summer NAMM in July.

Could be a Classic Series 5 string being introduced as well. BP hinted that it could happen.

TD
Exclusively using Ernie Ball Music Man 5 String basses and Genz-Benz amplification.
Thornton Davis

Postby aussiemark » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:25 pm

All these new Big Al variants still have the skinny neck. Sucks.
aussiemark

PreviousNext

Return to MUSICMAN