StingRay/ Sterling 4 HS questions...

StingRay/ Sterling 4 HS questions...

Postby El Tookay » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:00 pm

Since my handle has gotten me bounced off the EBMM forum, I'll ask the BABP MM gurus about the HS configuration. My last 'Ray was an '06 SR4HH, and while it was very cool, i found the neck pickup to be rather dark and anonymous, sounding like an undefined rumble every time I solo'ed it. i attributed this to placement of the pickup, as the G&L's are defined and mean-sounding, being closer to the bridge. The question is, what is your experience live using the HS format? My impressions are that pos. 1, the classic StingRay sound, pos. 2 is rather thin, pos. 3 is full-tilt, balls out, pos.4 gets the John Paul Jones vibe, and pos. 5 is in the SC P-bass sound range. 4 of 5 positions on the switch are usable, compared to 3 on the HH.

I have a line on a great deal for a SR4HS, but after my HH experience, I'm a bit nervous. And yeah, i know that if G&L's work, stick with what works, but I've always enjoyed playing MM basses, regardless of vintage.

Your mileage, please?.....
-Craig M./......mantra:-" StanleyGeddyOxStu JacoPinoRoccoDuck'n'Chuck"
El Tookay

Re: StingRay/ Sterling 4 HS questions...

Postby aussiemark » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:58 pm

El Tookay wrote:Since my handle has gotten me bounced off the EBMM forum

I don't believe that for a minute. Sure, they are fanboys over there, but there are people with handles like "57fender" and guys with "ric" and "warwick" in their handles. I'm not aware of anybody that has got booted from the EBMM forum based on their handle. You've got to act like a real prick to get bounced there. It's easier to get banned from Talk Bass than the EBMM forum. From memory there have only been 4 or 5 people banned from the EBMM forum, and they carried on like total tools. Jack and the other mods are very lenient and fair in that regard.
aussiemark

Postby Freddels » Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:11 pm

Usually the banning happens with the first couple of days of joining. It's like these people join with the intent to cause trouble and get banned. I don't usually post my opinion when I know it's going to ruffle feathers over there. So I guess I just self censor. [smilie=cheeky-smiley-025.gif]
|| Aguilar Tonehammer 500, Ampeg 7 Pro, Markbass CMD102P, GK 800RB||
Freddels

Postby BluesBassPlayer » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:07 am

My opinion, owning both G&L's and MM's. If you want a HH stick with a G&L. If you want a different flavor, go MM HS. I can live with either and be content. The Sterling HS is a do it all bass as is the G&L's.

Jimi
BluesBassPlayer

Postby bdgotoh » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:49 pm

I've had HS versions of the Stingray 4, Sterling 4, and Bongo 4. The only one I liked at all was the Bongo HS. That single coil sounds really great, better than the H pickup. I really wanted to keep mine but the bass was too dang heavy so I sold it and I've been on the prowl for a light HS 4 Bongo since.
One thing to keep in mind with any multi-pickup bass is pickup adjustment. I've had L-2000s that came from the factory and sounded horrible until I adjusted the pickups properly. I'm not bashing the factory or the dealer at all, the pickups just weren't adjusted in a way that sounded good to me. I've found the same problem on HH Sterlings and HH Stingrays several times, and once they were adjusted right they sounded great.
On the other hand, I never got an HS Stingray or Sterling to sound right to my ears - no matter how I adjusted them. The S pickup on both was too weak and not well matched tonally to the H pickup. By the time I got the output balanced between the H and S pickups the H was too far away from the strings and didn't sound right.
YMMV, of course.
bdgotoh
Bad Ass Evil One

Return to MUSICMAN