Buying new Sterling 5-string HH

Buying new Sterling 5-string HH

Postby ken woodward » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:45 am

Hey all, I've decided to pull the trigger on a new Sterling 5 string as opposed to buying a new Stingray. I will go with the HH version, Black, with Black headstock, Maple neck, White Pearoid pickguard and of course the 3 band EQ. I like the smaller body, and the neck configuration seems to be very close to the Stingray. I love the sound for studio work which can be very versitile as opposed to my Modulus Quantum 5. Anyone else out there own one of these? I'd like you opinions on versitility, neck comfort, switching, etc. Music Man can actually get this to me in 6 weeks. Thanks, Ken
ken woodward

Re: Buying new Sterling 5-string HH

Postby PeppermanL2K » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:29 pm

Very cool! I've got a blue one as my desktop wallpaper. Does that count? [smilie=cheeky-smiley-025.gif]
Phil

John Entwistle 1944 - 2002
"Heaven just got a little louder..." - Kenny Howes
PeppermanL2K

Postby ken woodward » Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:42 pm

Hell yea, it counts. How do you like it? (Tone qualities, versatility etc?). Ken
ken woodward

Postby bdgotoh » Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:57 pm

Congrats on the new bass, I love mine. I owned a Stingray 5 many years ago but it was too heavy so I sold it. I also had an HH Stingray 5 20th Anniversary with the alnico poles recently and while it was a very nice bass I liked the Sterling 5 HH much better.

I prefer switch position 4 personally, it has the right mix of low end and top end. I leave the bass and mids flat and roll off the treble a bit and it sounds like a cross between a MusicMan and a Jazz. Position 2 is similar but less low end and more mids. I don't use positions 1,3, or 5 much but lots of people love them, 5 in particular is a great setting. The switch positions are numbered from bridge to neck, so 1 is the bridge pickup only.

One thing to keep in mind is pickup adjustment can really affect tone a lot. I have a Sterling 4 HH that's been my main bass for years, when I got my Sterling 5 HH the pickups were adjusted very differently than on my 4 string. The best sounding switch position was 3, and 4 sounded crappy. Once I adjusted the pickups to match my 4 string it sounded great, and just like I wanted it to.

bdgotoh
Bad Ass Evil One

Postby ken woodward » Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:32 pm

Thanks, bdgotoh for the tech info. I'll remember that. I won't see the bass until September. It will be Black, with a black headstock, Maple neck and a White Pearloid pickguard. Can hardly wait! Ken
ken woodward

Postby Chuck B » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:08 am

ken woodward wrote:I won't see the bass until September.

Waiting is going to be the hardest.
Congrats, Ken!
Chuck B

Return to MUSICMAN