"Oh no, he's at it again!"...

"Oh no, he's at it again!"...

Postby El Tookay » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:46 am

...the words first uttered by my guitard as I announced that I have re-joined the EBMM club. I've never played a bad MM, and have had a love/ hate going on with Stingrays for years. After trying out several Sterlings, I took the plunge on a cherryburst HS maple board via a TB'er. Plays great, a wicked little slap bass that makes me sound like I know what I'm doing, but Pos. #4 gets a J-type tone with huge balls, kinda like- dare I speak this heresy- an El Toro.
For the classic rock stuff, I still prefer the L2K's low-mid whallop, but only gigging it will tell where this one fits into the rack.

And it looks damn sex-ay!
Sterling.jpg

Yep, clear pickguard! [smilie=icon_biggrin.gif]
-Craig M./......mantra:-" StanleyGeddyOxStu JacoPinoRoccoDuck'n'Chuck"
El Tookay

Re: "Oh no, he's at it again!"...

Postby shamus63 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:58 am

Very cool! The H/S config is a favorite of mine.

Great finish, too!

[smilie=cool-smiley-031.gif]
"Don't play it if you don't feel it." - James Jamerson
shamus63

Links: Basses:
Epiphone Thunderbird IV
'84 Squier Japan Precision
Yamaha BB300

Rig:
Ampeg B2-RE
Ampeg SVT-410HLF
=o7o

Postby spideyjg » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:42 pm

[smilie=music-smiley-005.gif] [smilie=music-smiley-005.gif] Damn fine looker there. Depending the wood and finish a big freaking guard can be detrimental.

That thang benefits from the clear.

Jim
Silverbass wrote:gawd damn the pusher man
spideyjg
Bouncer

Postby Mudville Stomper » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:02 am

i thought there was a phantom coil in between the two pickups. what year is your sterling?

Mudville Stomper

Postby Rod Trussbroken » Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:48 pm

Mudville Stomper wrote:i thought there was a phantom coil in between the two pickups. what year is your sterling?

On the Sterling HS pickup configuration, I believe the phantom coil is located under the front (neck) single coil pickup.
Gav
www.musicmanbass.org
MUSICMAN BASS VINTAGE ID

Rod Trussbroken
Bouncer

Postby bdgotoh » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:36 pm

Gav's right, the Sterling S pickup on the HS is a stacked humbucker and the lower coil is the humcanceller for both single coil settings.

The pic above is of an HS Stingray which has the sunken dummy coil. The HS Bongo has a little adjustable humcancelling coil in the control cavity.
bdgotoh
Bad Ass Evil One

Postby El Tookay » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:18 pm

According to Gav's site, the Sterling was built in July 2006. Further sonic tinkering has revealed a few obvious things- this bass will NOT do anything close to a P-bass, and Pos. #5, the neck pup only, is rather quiet, but gives up some serious ganja-sparkin' dub tone. Pos. #4, the J- tone is my fav, and Pos. #2 is growing on me.

I don't think (at this point) that the Sterling will replace my 2K in the #1 chair. My measure of a great bass is the bass you play in some rat-hole bar for a marathon of eight 60-minute sets, then after a 5 minute break, you WANT to pick it up and start playing for another set or two. The Tookay has THAT juice, and has done that shift a few times, so it has more than proven itself. That said, because it is so 'different-sounding', the Sterling might become the #1-A bass.

And Gaw-DAMN, does it slap like a devil! Put FatBeams on it, and I'm getting that ol' skool / Bernard Edwards /Paul Denman fatass StingRay sound- bright but not razor-sharp top end.

No gigs till Sept. 18, but I'm tempted to take it out to a jam or two just for sh*ts and giggles.....
-Craig M./......mantra:-" StanleyGeddyOxStu JacoPinoRoccoDuck'n'Chuck"
El Tookay

Postby Mudville Stomper » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:39 am

according to the picture that i posted, which i snagged from the ernie ball forum, the phantom coil is located between the humbucker and the single. obviously, this hasn't always been the case, as evidenced by the super hot sterling in the original post.

also, check this vid from 'the perfect bass':

http://www.theperfectbass.com/live/flas ... l_ftp.html
Mudville Stomper

Postby Mudville Stomper » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:43 am

duh.... my bad... HS Stingray vs HS Sterling. weird how they would have two different systems. i guess you can't really argue with results.

i'll go back to being quiet...
Mudville Stomper

Postby earlgray » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:50 pm

El Tookay wrote:this bass will NOT do anything close to a P-bass

OK, didn't think that would happen. But, its a damn fine looking bass...love that color.

I don't think (at this point) that the Sterling will replace my 2K in the #1 chair. My measure of a great bass is the bass you play in some rat-hole bar for a marathon of eight 60-minute sets, then after a 5 minute break, you WANT to pick it up and start playing for another set or two. The Tookay has THAT juice, and has done that shift a few times, so it has more than proven itself. That said, because it is so 'different-sounding', the Sterling might become the #1-A bass.

I'm nuts about my L-2000e and I know what you mean -- if it's mahogany body didn't weigh about 8000 pounds, I'd probably play no other bass. But, for some gigs and moods, there's nothing like a MM...I bought my 1st about a year ago and I love it when I love it. Some days and some gigs, I just know its gonna get the call.

Enjoy the diversity and be glad you have options.
earlgray

Postby BluesBassPlayer » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:09 pm

Where do we get a clear guard?

I have a beautiful Tranny Teal Sterling HS with abalone guard.

Jimi
BluesBassPlayer

Postby DKWilkins » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:50 pm

BluesBassPlayer wrote:.... Tranny Teal .....

That's a name that absolutely deserves to be on a marquee in the Tenderloin district in San Francisco! LOL!
[smilie=cheeky-smiley-025.gif]
Ambiguity... What happens in vagueness stays in vagueness
DKWilkins

Postby BluesBassPlayer » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:41 pm

DK

Now you know why I want her / him to go naked.

Jimi
BluesBassPlayer

Return to MUSICMAN