Classic Collection Sting Rays

Re: Classic Collection Sting Rays

Postby Caca de Kick » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:09 am

Well, I've moved my pink one on as well. I absolutely loved the color, but as much as I hate to say, the fat neck and it being the heaviest Ray in my collection made it uninspiring to play. [smilie=icon_frown.gif] I kept reaching for my preEB's. It now resides somewhere in France.
Caca de Kick

Postby Rod Trussbroken » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:44 am

Caca de Kick wrote:Well, I've moved my pink one on as well. I absolutely loved the color, but as much as I hate to say, the fat neck and it being the heaviest Ray in my collection made it uninspiring to play. [smilie=icon_frown.gif] I kept reaching for my preEB's. It now resides somewhere in France.

I find the Nack on mine to be a better feel than my Pre-EB (thinner rear to fretboard side).

I'm still sweating on Vintage Sunburst to be offered...VSB with flamed Maple. [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif]
Gav
www.musicmanbass.org
MUSICMAN BASS VINTAGE ID

Rod Trussbroken
Bouncer

Postby Caca de Kick » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:53 am

Thinner rear would have been nice, that's how my oldies are. But my Classic had a very deep U shaped neck.

I will say though, if Inca silver (or some close variation) comes out, then I'll probably get one again.
Caca de Kick

Postby Thornton Davis » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:19 pm

I ordered my Classic SR5 sometime ago. I finally showed up yesterday. I really haven't decided if i'm going to keep it or not cause i'm have way too much fun with my BA-5 H.

TD
Exclusively using Ernie Ball Music Man 5 String basses and Genz-Benz amplification.
Thornton Davis

Postby Rod Trussbroken » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:17 am

Nice Basses. Nice pic [smilie=cool-smiley-031.gif]
Gav
www.musicmanbass.org
MUSICMAN BASS VINTAGE ID

Rod Trussbroken
Bouncer

Postby kylierider » Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:42 pm

aussiemark wrote:I'll be tempted, once some used ones come on the market at affordable prices. New, downunder, they will retail for around US$3000.

Me too..I'll love to have one but I'll wait for one slightly broken in.
kylierider

Postby Rod Trussbroken » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:10 am

Just ordered a "Retroburst" (Sunburst) with flamed Maple neck and fretboard. [smilie=party-smiley-003.gif]
Gav
www.musicmanbass.org
MUSICMAN BASS VINTAGE ID

Rod Trussbroken
Bouncer

Postby harleyyy » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:32 am

Rod Trussbroken wrote:Just ordered a "Retroburst" (Sunburst) with flamed Maple neck and fretboard. [smilie=party-smiley-003.gif]

Oh man. Waiting for those pics.
"I try to keep 'Thou shalt not kill.' The rest of them I'm kind of shaky on." Willie Nelson
"Forget The Drama, Shut Up And Play." ME

Mr Meanor on Facebook
harleyyy
Host Of Your Forum

Links: http://badassbassplayers.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/BadAssBassPlayerscom
https://www.facebook.com/MrMeanorBand
http://wwwwww.tonewavetech.com

Postby Caca de Kick » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:05 am

If anyone happens to run across a shell pink one, could you give me a heads up. I do miss the color of the one I had, but I don't want that one back especially since it went to France, too costly. The one that ended up in Colorado I was told was pretty light. These must have gone underground because after us 5 of 6 original owners sold them off, they've never resurfaced.
Caca de Kick

Postby Billhw13 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:22 am

I just stumbled across one of these in a Guitar Center...It's that Red / orange color (whatever it's called) with the tinted and flamey neck. I thought it was the bomb...great tone and feel.
I'm still not sure about the lack of the body contours tho'...
Billhw13

Postby Chuck B » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:36 am

I didn't miss the contoured body over the three decades... ;)
We did look at the Standard EBMM Ray and a preEB Ray together - there's a lot of wood taken off to get those contours. Might be a reason for the mighty sound of the pres and the Classics...
Chuck B

Postby Billhw13 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:45 am

Could be Chuck. there is no denying that the MM5 I played has incredible tone. I wanted to take her home!
Billhw13

Postby 57RIP » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:21 am

Snagged a Seafoam and maple Sterling Classic. My first MM bass. Looks mighty surfy for my Eddy Corduroy and The Jackets gig.
I used to look at my dog Smokey and think, "If you were a little smarter, you could tell me what you're thinking," and he'd look back at me like he was saying, "If you were a little smarter, I wouldn't have to." - Fred Jungclaus
57RIP

Postby Rod Trussbroken » Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:21 pm

57RIP wrote:Snagged a Seafoam and maple Sterling Classic. My first MM bass. Looks mighty surfy for my Eddy Corduroy and The Jackets gig.

Great [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif]

Any pics?
Gav
www.musicmanbass.org
MUSICMAN BASS VINTAGE ID

Rod Trussbroken
Bouncer

Postby 57RIP » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:00 pm

Guess I should work on that! I've got two EC&J gigs on it and I'm loving the tone. Not so much in love with the neck though. It's beautifully done but feels dang small... Sure does rip though. I strung it up with a set of broken in TI Super Alloys - it loves those! Through my old MM 100 watter and 15's rig for Eddie's band - pretty freakin' cool amd totally a looker!
I used to look at my dog Smokey and think, "If you were a little smarter, you could tell me what you're thinking," and he'd look back at me like he was saying, "If you were a little smarter, I wouldn't have to." - Fred Jungclaus
57RIP

Previous

Return to MUSICMAN